Invoice after payment

I purchased some items for my business and as I couldn't request an invoice before payment as the items were already reduced, I added a note that I needed an invoice for tax purposes. The seller is telling me to use the order details as an invoice but that doesn't comply with the ATO's requirements for invoices. With the amount the seller is selling, they must be a business. How can I get an invoice?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Invoice after payment

When I print packing slips for my orders, it has my name (Initial and Surname) and my address (a PO Box) on it, as well as the buyers delivery address. It also has a summary of everything that was paid ie: GST, postage etc.

I customised mine to include this info, so the packing slip might cover what you're after? If so, just ask the seller to include it in the parcel. They could even screen shot it first and send it to you to see if that's what you need.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Invoice after payment

Unless the seller has an ABN they cannot issue a tax invoice. Does the listing show an ABN anywhere ?

What is the item number ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Invoice after payment

And is the seller registered in Australia ?

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Invoice after payment

I wasn't after a Tax Invoice, I was just after an invoice. Generally anyone selling to a business needs to provide an invoice when requested- they just need to state they aren't registered for GST and / or they don't have an ABN on it if they aren't a business.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Invoice after payment

The ebay payment/purchase  summary, that you have access to, is suitable  as a receipt for taxation purposes, just not for GST.    If the seller is not registered for GST,  it is illegal for them to provide a tax invoice.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Invoice after payment

Thanks for that. The business isn't registered for GST so I wasn't after a Tax Invoice - I've studied Accounting so know that it is illegal for a business to issue a Tax Invoice if they aren't GST registered. I was just after an invoice. The order details just has the ebay user id no seller name, details etc. How does that comply with invoicing requirements when the purchase is quite big if the ATO needs to confirm the purchase and contact them?

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Invoice after payment

There have been threads here on the same and several long time members confirmed that it does comply to use the order form as that is essentially the same as an invoice in ebay.

Even if you get an ebay invoice from a seller not reg for GST, it only has their ebay ID not personal details.

image host
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Invoice after payment

When I print packing slips for my orders, it has my name (Initial and Surname) and my address (a PO Box) on it, as well as the buyers delivery address. It also has a summary of everything that was paid ie: GST, postage etc.

I customised mine to include this info, so the packing slip might cover what you're after? If so, just ask the seller to include it in the parcel. They could even screen shot it first and send it to you to see if that's what you need.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Invoice after payment

I've received invoices that are compliant from sellers before. This is an extract from the ATO website 

"If you're not registered for GST, your invoices should not include the words 'tax invoice' โ€“ you must issue standard invoices." so therefore they should be issuing invoices if requested. I just won't claim this transaction as I want my business to be 100% compliant with their requirements  - this is important to me.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Invoice after payment

When you studied accountancy, how far did you get.

(This is  From ATO)

Expense or purchase records

Records of all business expenses, including cash purchases. Records could include receipts, tax invoices, cheque book receipts, credit card vouchers and diaries to record small cash expenses. If you bought something for your business, but sometimes use it for private use, you also need to keep records showing how you worked out how much of its use is private.

And yes,  an ebay  purchase summary  is acceptable.  As stated earlier.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply