Is GSP compliant with Australian law?

sdfg88
Community Member

Hi -

Just wondering if the checkout is compliant with Australian laws that stipulate GST must be seperately identified in the transaction.

On some items have a line expressly itemised at the checkout. Other items that use GSP only state "import charges" which is clearly not GST and not 10% of item + postage.

Is this type of labelling legal under Australian consumer laws given that this type of labelling comes from a .au ebay site? Should this not be labelled as transaction fees, then GST on top of all that?

I'm erring on the side of not compliant labelling on ebay's part. What do you guys think?

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

those GSP listings aren't listed on ebay.au they are listed on ebay.com or ebay.uk

They appear on ebay.au because they are available for purchase by Aussie buyers.

Those listings would not be subject to the domestic requirements of GST as they would be under the umbrella of the GST on Low Cost Imports provisions of the GST.

Have you looked at the GST on Low Cost Imports legislation? (it may not exactly be called that but called something similar)

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

It'd pay you to read up on the relevant laws before accusing anyone of breaking them. You obviously haven't read them or you wouldn't have said what you have.
Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

The GSP is offered on the eBay USA and UK sites run by Pitney Bowes.

The 'Import charges" consist of any known import charges, GST and a PB fee for collecting the GST.

(There may be further import or clearance charges from Aus Customs depending on the items)

So I think you will find it is compliant Aus consumer law.

image host
Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The GSP has been in force for long enough that if it was not complying with Australian Law the ATO would have acted before now.

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

@sdfg88 wrote:

Hi -

Just wondering if the checkout is compliant with Australian laws that stipulate GST must be seperately identified in the transaction.

On some items have a line expressly itemised at the checkout. Other items that use GSP only state "import charges" which is clearly not GST and not 10% of item + postage.

Is this type of labelling legal under Australian consumer laws given that this type of labelling comes from a .au ebay site? Should this not be labelled as transaction fees, then GST on top of all that?

I'm erring on the side of not compliant labelling on ebay's part. What do you guys think?

Yes you are.

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

@sdfg88,

There's no stipulation that GST be shown separately in the checkout; rather, it must be GST-inclusive.

Quoting from Requirements once you are registered:

❝As soon are you are aware Australian GST is likely to apply to the sale of goods, Australian consumer law requires that you display a GST-inclusive price.

If you are unsure whether Australian GST will apply, you can display a message about the potential for additional taxes to apply. As soon as it is clear that GST applies, you must show the GST-inclusive price.❞

It's impossible for eBay to know whether GST applies to the sale until:

• the buyer submits the delivery address;
  • the total amount of the purchase is known;
  • the buyer is established to be a consumer (explained here); and
  • the goods are established not to be GST-free (explained here).

Shopping cart payment summaries for GSP and non-GSP items

When you add the GSP item to your cart, you'll see a payment summary that looks like this:

Go to Checkout

Subtotal (1 item)                         AU $xx.xx
        Postage to 1234 🛈                          AU $xx.xx
        Import charges                            AU $xx.xx

When you purchase non-GSP items from an overseas eBay seller, the GST collected by eBay will be more clearly shown (with less confusion):

Go to Checkout

Item (1)                                  AU $xx.xx
        Postage to 1234 🛈                         AU $xx.xx
        GST                                       AU $xx.xx

When you hover over the 🛈, it says:

You'll see postage options and costs on the Checkout page.

Checkout for GSP items

I'm using an example showing a GSP item from the UK, not the US, but there's no real difference in terms of what is shown on this page. Once you are on the checkout page, you'll see the payment options, the delivery address, and then this:

Review item and postage

Seller:  [sellername]      |    Message to seller

vacuum.gif  1 x Dirt SuckerUpper Super HEPA HIPPY HAPPY Vacuum Cleaner.
                      GBP xxx.xx

Quantity 1

Postage
                      Est. delivery: [date] – [date]
                      International Priority Shipping 🛈
                      Includes international tracking
                      GBP xx.xx

When you hover over the 🛈 next to "International Priority Shipping", it says:

This amount includes seller-specified domestic

postage charges as well as applicable postage

and handling fees, but is independent of import

charges. For additional information, see the

Global Shipping Program terms and conditions.

When you hover over the 🛈 next to "Import charges", it says:

This amount includes applicable customs duties,

taxes, brokerage and other fees. Exclusions apply.

For additional information, see the Global Shipping

Program terms and conditions.

On the right column, you'll see something like this:

Subtotal (1 item)             GBP xxx.xx
        Postage                                       GBP  xx.xx
        Import charges                GBP  xx.xx

Order total     GBP xxx.xx

You agree to the Global Shipping Program

terms. 

🔒 Confirm and pay

This does give the buyer the necessary information before clicking onto Confirm and pay.

Lumping the GST together into "Import charges" is confusing, leaving buyers unsure about what portion is the GST and what portion is PB's "brokerage and other fees". However, the GST-inclusive price is shown and that's what's necessary.

1. Re "if the checkout is compliant with Australian laws" - yes, it is.
  2. Your statement that "GST must be separately identified in the transaction" appears to confuse the legislation for Australian GST-registered sellers with the legislation foroverseas GST-registered suppliers (where the deemed supplier may be the actual merchant, the EDP through which the merchant sells, or the redeliverer if the goods purchased are forwarded by a freight/redelivery company).
  3. Re "Is this type of labelling legal under Australian consumer laws given that this type of labelling comes from a .au ebay site?" - yes, it is. When the goods are being imported, it's irrelevant whether you purchase from eBay.com or ebay.com.au. The breakdown of charges shows the order total (i.e., GST-inclusive price), and that is all that's required to be displayed.
  4. Are you perhaps thinking of an invoice rather than checkout? If so, see below.*

* Receipts issued to customers.

Spoiler

❝When you charge GST on a sale of low value imported goods you must issue a receipt to the customer. This can be in an electronic form, such as an email confirmation or a receipt.

The receipt must contain the following information:

• your name
  • your GST registration number, which is either your ATO reference number (ARN) or Australian business number (ABN)
  • the date of issue
  • a description of what you supplied, including the quantity (if applicable) and the price
  • the amount of GST payable
  • information that identifies whether GST was charged on the goods
    • if you charged GST on all the goods, you can include the GST-inclusive price and state that this price includes GST (alternatively, you can include the GST for each item)
    • if GST was not charged on some of the goods, the receipt must show which goods were subject to GST.❞

To the best of my knowledge, eBay seller invoices are provided correctly for non-GSP goods. Crucially, they include the GST component, clearly marked. The problem is with items purchased through the GSP (unless that's been fixed recently). To the best of my knowledge (bear in mind that I have never purchased an item on eBay sent through the GSP), the PB invoices do not show the GST paid as a separate component but - like the checkout page - they lump the GST in with "brokerage and other fees" and call it "import charges". If anyone has updated information on this - or is happy to post their invoice (suitably redacted of course) for a GSP item - that would be useful.

CAVEAT:

There is no such thing as a Dirt SuckerUpper Super HEPA HIPPY HAPPY Vacuum Cleaner.

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

@sdfg88 wrote:

Hi -

hI sdfg88, good question and well put. I'm not going to venture into this discussion about wether I think it's compliant with the laws. Rather, Id just like to say that there are many things while not attrracting any legal challege for breaking a law, they exist while getting away with loop holes. Morally they are would be illegal. But morality isn't aways what a law is based on.

Digressing slightly, in the US, it's not actually written i nto law that people are actually obliged to pay income tax. Some people who have had an understanding of the law have proven in court that they don't have to.  Sadly people like sheep just go along with it.

There is No Law Requiring You to Pay Income Tax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UCcW0RoNdc

You don't have to pay Federal Income Tax?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r37Fm7paVjs

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

I'm not sure how you think US law is relevant, or interesting, to Australians.

I would like to know, however, how you think essential services would be funded if us 'sheep' didn't pay tax.

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

hI sdfg88, good question and well put. I'm not going to venture into this discussion about wether I think it's compliant with the laws. Rather, Id just like to say that there are many things while not attrracting any legal challege for breaking a law, they exist while getting away with loop holes. Morally they are would be illegal. But morality isn't aways what a law is based on.

Digressing slightly, in the US, it's not actually written i nto law that people are actually obliged to pay income tax. Some people who have had an understanding of the law have proven in court that they don't have to.  Sadly people like sheep just go along with it.

There is No Law Requiring You to Pay Income Tax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UCcW0RoNdc

You don't have to pay Federal Income Tax?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r37Fm7paVj

Digressing slightly, in the US . . .

Ya reckon!!!!!!!! (I have put a line through off-topic parts of your post)

May I ask, what has income tax in the USA got to do with this?  Do you have an Aussie analogy relevant to this thread showing Aussies “like sheep just going along with it”?

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply