Is it unreasonable to ask for cheaper combined postage if purchasing more than one item?

Would I be wrong in thinking this was just the correct ebay etiquette as a seller that this is the norm?

I mean I always combine postage to make it cheaper- I even refund the difference if I have overquoted by mistake. 

I feel is nothing to be gained from not combining- only more postage fees and potentially losing sales and future customers.

I had a weird / rude response from a seller I just won 2 kids jackets with and have had a slightly strange response to my request of cheaper combined postage...

the seller said "Hi 
I’m not going to the post office till Friday.
I had my postage bags all organised ready to go with postage prices aid out on Ebay listings.
That is until you assumed I would combine postage. 
I never said in my listings I would combine postage.
However I can get that looked at on Friday.
Have a good day"

Usually I would ask beforehand but I only spotted the auction in its last hour so I thought I wouldnt gat a response in time anyway. 

I guess my real question is why wouldnt you send cheaper combined postage if you could?  Am I missing something that I dont know about?

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Is it unreasonable to ask for cheaper combined postage if purchasing more than one item?

@davewil1964 wrote:

If I've conflated things that you've introduced it means you've, by definition,  introduced unrelated, extraneous things into the discussion.

Which doesn't really help the OP. Who should have waited until tomorrow to panic, rather than pulling the trigger early and getting extraneous stuff conflated.

You seem to have invented your own definition of the word 'conflation' whereby the "things" conflated are necessarily "unrelated" and "extraneous" - that is not the case, and the fact that two ideas or concepts have been conflated is in no way indicative that one is extraneous, or unrelated to the other.

In an attempy to clarify my position, however, I offer you the following.

The OP and I started in the same position i.e. multiple purchases from our respective sellers, and we've asked about combining into a single shipment.

Let's say outcome X is a seller agreeing to the request and combining shipping to charge a lower overall shipping fee.

Likewise, outcome Y can be a seller declining the request and each item being shipped seperately with its own shipping fee.

It's a fairly straightforward request in that there should really only be two possible outcomes - X or Y, agree or decline, yes or no.

My particular example resulted in an unexpected third outcome - Dishonest Z - where the seller declined the request, stated items could only ship seperately, and then combined anyway in order to pocket the funds paid for the second lot of shipping. I've articulated my opinion on such beaviour already.

davewil, what you have conflated is OP's seller - who is still considering whether they'll provide outcome X or Y - and my assessment of *my* seller, who went with outcome Dishonest Z.

As I stated in my first reply to the OP, in topic message #6 - "...I think there's no harm in politely asking, but if your seller doesn't want to do it for whatever reason, you just need to accept it." - that's far from hinting that the seller is dishonest, as you claimed (message #24).

You also said my information doesn't really help the OP, yet in message #18 the OP has stated "...and I was accepting Tazzieterror's solution for " I think there's no harm in politely asking, but if your seller doesn't want to do it for whatever reason, you just need to accept it."  which I agree with. "

The OP seems to have had no trouble in discerning between advice I've given regarding their purchase, and my opinion of the dishonest seller I encountered during my own purchase. I hope now that any confusion in your mind has now been removed.

And on a very minor and unrelated point - and only because definitions seem to matter to you - in message #27 where you've calculated:

2 x $8.55 = $17.10, a whole $2.55 more than 1 x 3kg satchel.

- I must take exception to describing '$2.55' as 'a whole'.  A 'whole' should be - by definition - whole, and as you're using dollars as units, this turn of phrase only makes sense for values that are dollar multiples, e.g. "a whole $2", "a whole $3".  You could quote in cents and I suppose it would technically work - "a whole 255 cents" - but it does look a little untidy to my eyes.

davewil, thank you for challenging me - I look forward to further interactions with you as I very much enjoy our discussions!

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 31 of 34
Latest reply

Re: Is it unreasonable to ask for cheaper combined postage if purchasing more than one item?

The weight of the 2 jackets based on 2 similar ones I already have are approximatly 1kg and are a really tight squeeze in a 3kg satchel so they'd have to go in the next size up in a 5kg which is $17.65, the seller and I are also located in the same state. 

So its $11.45 difference if they cambine postage or not its $29.10.

Message 32 of 34
Latest reply

@tomcollins3 wrote:

...So its $11.45 difference if they cambine postage...

Not quite a whole $12 then - enough that it's worth posing the question at least.

Oh well, just wait and see what the say.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 33 of 34
Latest reply

I never did get a response from the seller in the end.

Oh Well... You live you learn! 

Message 34 of 34
Latest reply