Is the following listing misleading or is it just me?

amb4491
Community Member

Check this out: item # 361338693538

I just bought it, to mount a hard disk in the DVD drive bay. You need 2 of the brackets to do that, one bracket is useless.

The listing shows 4 brackets, (2 pairs), then shows various angles of one  bracket.

The title says "........adapter kit, 1pc, convenient." Thats says to me it is 1 adapter kit.

Found out after paying that it is only one bracket.

One bracket is only  half a mounting  kit and definately not convenient.  Actually it is useless,  if you intend to use this "kit" for what the titkle says it is for....to mount a 3.5" hard drive in a 5.25" bay.

I contacted the seller, and he replied ...sorry the listing clearly says 1PC, do you want  a refund?

I replied something like ...yes definately refund, I cannot use the kit for its intended purpose, please change the listing, it is not an an adapter kit, it is one braket, which is only half an adapter kit.

The seller did not reply,  and 7 hours or so later he posted the item.  Its onlt been a day, so he may eventually respond.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Is the following listing misleading or is it just me?

amb, forgot to add:

When you said you'd never buy 2 racks, -  Oh yes I would! More like 10 of them, if it's from the Chinese seller, just to make sure I have at least 2 that are useful enough to complete the job.

Or, what ever that thing is that you bought - would have bought the same around here, take it home and do the job.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

agreed, seems silly to be selling this item singularly when 2 are required.

but its china, i buy radio control car parts from china sometimes and yep, you get ads for wheel, pictures of 2 or 4 but your only buying 1. who buys 1 wheel? not many.

i havent looked up hard drive brackets but i'm sure they are a common item under computer parts. prolly not much dearer to buy 2 than 1 from someone else.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

@amb4491 wrote:

Seems you don't understand what I was buying, 4green2000.

There would be no reason to buy 1 bracket, it is useless on its own.

Simialrly there is no reason to sell one of these brackets on its own, one bracket cannot be used for the intended purpose.

A rack is designed to fit a device in a slot, a rack can consist of several parts.

You would never buy 2 racks to fit one device.

and to me it seems you cant read..!

this listing is for 1 (one) PC (piece)...if you care to look properly you will see the listings has "Quantity" which means you could of bought more than 1 (one) piece.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

Exactly David4430, that's what irks me. I intended to buy a bracket/adapter kit/rack, however they want to word it, to mount a HDD drive in a 5.25" bay. There were numerous other choices that would have given me a suitable kit/bracket for similar price. I was just silly enough to click on the one that mislead me into thinking it was the same as the others.

4Green2000, yes I read it all. Chinese listings are often not clear, but you understand what they are saying.  But the title clearly says: mounting bracket adapter kit 1PC. Its not that difficult, a kit can be a piece, it is one item. It is a "mounting bracket adapter kit"

Yes, it does say quantity: a rack and 4 screws. A rack is not a bracket. 4 screws is all you need to mount a HDD to a rack. I suppose that's the critical thing that mislead me : a rack is not a bracket.  If it had of said quantity: one bracket and 4 screws, I would have understood.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

Just me,  but I'd like to see you list something on ebay.cn

Everybody bags the Chinese.  Not all of them are rip-off merchants.

Some of them do very well with their Chinglish - you have to make allowances

sometimes.

And for $1.87 freepost, two wouldn't have gone astray, surely?

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

Sorry, I didn't intend to sound like I'm bagging the seller. And I assumed they weren't intentionally trying to mislead me. I think that's my mistake, I made allowance for the losses in translation, and assumed they knew what they where selling -a kit to install a hard disk in the dvd bay - not half a kit. I should have checked their negative feedback, I'm not the only one with exactly the same problem with this seller, but for only $1.87 I didn't bother.

Do we really need to bring up the price? How would the discussion be different if the item was $100, rather than $1? (the item was $1 plus postage when I bought it). Yes I could have bought 2, but I had many equivalent choices for $3.74. Why would I pick the most expensive one? And why would I expect to pay almost $2 for a small piece of bent steel (that possibly costs less than 5 cents to make in China), when I often buy quite complex electronic components and circuits from Chinese sellers, often for little more than a dollar a piece.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply