Is this a reasonable return request?

I bought a dress (used) in good condition, but, the darts are sewn on the outside of the dress, overlocked with threads hanging off and the back zip is sewn in on the wrong side of the dress. When I first got it, I thought that it was inside out, but the side seams are sewn the correct way. The seller claims that this is a design feature of this 'very expensive' dress, which I bought cheaply.

It may well be a design feature, but was not mentioned in the listing and I think if it is a design feature, it is quite a different feature and should have been mentioned. I have looked at the photos again and now that I know the dress has an inside out look, I can tell, if I zoom on those parts, but I would never have thought to check whether the  darts and zip have been sewn on the right side.

She has refused the return and accused me of buyers remorse and is very insulted that  I didn't like her 'very expensive' dress.

I could never wear it. People would look at me and think 'that poor old lady has her dress on inside out'.

I have never returned anything before.

What to do now?

Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Hi ajarn, I don't claim to know much about Ladies Dresses, but if the Dress is the same as photographed and in the condition mentioned, I would think it is a  case of Change of Mind. You did say you zoomed onto the pics etc and they were all there. ( These things should be done prior to Bidding / Buying )  If it were me, I would be very polite and say the Dress just will not suit you and could you have a refund. I think that if the Seller wants to keep her Buyer Base growing, she will try and make you happy, if not, then I think you have bought your 1st Oops ๐Ÿ˜ž  Let's wait and see what other Dress Wearers / sellers have to say. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 2 of 56
Latest reply

Visible, on the outside zips were almost the norm recently and I can quite believe that inside out darts could easily be too. It is not the seller's fault if that is how the dress is meant to look and if you could see if you looked carefully enough at the photo then it is down to you.

If it is a designer label then you should be able to find the designer's items by googling and see how it should look.

If that is the design then you have no chance at all of winning a dispute and should just try and resell it yourself if you don't want to wear it.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 56
Latest reply

If the so called 'features' weren't mentioned then I would be opening an ebay item not as described. I would explain that everything is on the outside that should be on the inside and that you could never wear it. One would not expect a dress to be like this and it should have been mentioned.

Message 4 of 56
Latest reply

now that I know the dress has an inside out look, I can tell, if I zoom on those parts,

Message 5 of 56
Latest reply

Yes, that is why I am asking, but I really do feel that it is such an unusual design feature that it should have been mentioned in the listing. I don't think that a buyer would ever think to zoom on the darts to see if they were sewn on the inside or outside of the dress. You can only vaguely see them on a zoom, not the original photo.

Message 6 of 56
Latest reply

Would you wear this? This is the right side.

003.JPG

Message 7 of 56
Latest reply

I have seen people wearing this style of 'inside out' clothing. Sorry, I don't think you have much of a case. 

Latest reply

Seems a pretty common style of dress to me.  I'm not much of a dress wearer (tends to get the wife a little out of sorts if I do Smiley Very Happy) but, seen many of this style when the Good Lady in my life is frock shopping and drags me along for punishment my opinion.

Message 9 of 56
Latest reply

I sold a sleeveless dress recently with the zip on the front and sewn on the outside.

I think the photos posted here do show the outside sewing details...darts too.
Message 10 of 56
Latest reply