Is this a reasonable return request?

I bought a dress (used) in good condition, but, the darts are sewn on the outside of the dress, overlocked with threads hanging off and the back zip is sewn in on the wrong side of the dress. When I first got it, I thought that it was inside out, but the side seams are sewn the correct way. The seller claims that this is a design feature of this 'very expensive' dress, which I bought cheaply.

It may well be a design feature, but was not mentioned in the listing and I think if it is a design feature, it is quite a different feature and should have been mentioned. I have looked at the photos again and now that I know the dress has an inside out look, I can tell, if I zoom on those parts, but I would never have thought to check whether the  darts and zip have been sewn on the right side.

She has refused the return and accused me of buyers remorse and is very insulted that  I didn't like her 'very expensive' dress.

I could never wear it. People would look at me and think 'that poor old lady has her dress on inside out'.

I have never returned anything before.

What to do now?

Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Not meaning to be ageist (because I am not young myself) but I think a young woman would have no problem with wearing that dress.

Perhaps you could resell it.
Message 11 of 56
Latest reply

Can I ask, why did you purchase the dress in the 1st place ? Design, cost, colour, etc

Message 12 of 56
Latest reply

ajarnjenny,

never mind the outside zip & darts - I have a Prada dress (biggest hit for 2014) with a bra sewn in on the outside!

Love it!!!!!!

Just google designer fashions - you'll see the styles everywhere with outside zips, darts, side seams.

Cheap brands like Country Road do it also on some garments.

Your seller did nothing wrong - you can't ask her for a refund.

She most likely didn't think to mention seams and zip, firstly, they are as plain as a nose on your face in the pictures, secondly, she wouldn't have imagined that anyone on the planet would have questioned the style - it's not even so new any longer.

But, taste is a personal thing (and so it should be) - you still don't have to wear it if you don't feel comfortable - just chuck it out and be done with it!

Message 13 of 56
Latest reply

I like the style of the dress. I like white linen, I just didn't expect the darts and zip to be on the outside and it was not able to be seen in the sellers photos.

Message 14 of 56
Latest reply

They are my photos that I took an hour ago on my kitchen table. They are not the sellers photos.

Message 15 of 56
Latest reply

sorry jenny - I just paid quite a sum for a jacket that had that very look.

You honestly will not have any trouble reselling, just be very particular with your description so people are not mislead the way you feel you have been.

Although, I would keep it and wear and wait for the compliments, it is very IN at the moment.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 16 of 56
Latest reply

@ajarnjenny wrote:

Would you wear this? This is the right side.

003.JPG

No, i wouldn't.Smiley Tongue Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 56
Latest reply

Being a bloke I don't know much about these things, but couldn't you simply wear it inside out (if you know what I mean) ?
Message 18 of 56
Latest reply

@ajarnjenny wrote:

Would you wear this? This is the right side.

Yes I would if I was 20 and gorgeous - it is probably a great fashionable dress

But because I am old and ugly, I would just accept that I didn't look carefully enough at the listing, i wouldn't take it out on the seller;  I would then re-sell it at a much higher price than I paid for it - GREAT FASHION DRESS WITH INSIDE OUT SEAMS - VERY IN!  

Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 56
Latest reply

I certainly wouldn't worry about wearing this dress if I was still young enough.  It looks quite stylish.  You certainly would be better dressed than a lot of people.  Have you seen what they are wearing these days??  There is no pride anymore.  I realize that if you are not comfortable wearing it, then it is hard to overcome that, and in that case, I wouldn't blame the Seller, I would just do what others have advised and resell it.  Good luck with it.

Message 20 of 56
Latest reply