Is this legit???

Hello,

I am very confused.

I purchased an item, that I have now been told by the seller is not in stock.......I can get a refund or wait 1 month for the item.  I chose to get a refund (Paypal).

The seller is now asking for personal details as they cannot trace the Paypal transaction by my ebay user id.  Does this sound correct???  sounds a bit dodgy to me, what should I do?

Thanks

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Is this legit???

If you paid via PayPal, in their account they will have a transaction with a refund button. It is very easy for them to refund.

Don't give them any details, just explain all they need to do is log in to PayPal and click refund next to the transaction.

You could assist by messaging exact date and amount from the PayPal trans. 

image host
Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

Is this legit???

I would send them the paypal transaction# and my Paypal email address and tell them to refund within 24 hours or I will be opening a dispute.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

Is this legit???

tom_leroy_and_alexs_dad
Community Member

Do NOT trust the seller - open a dispute.

What's new pussycat ?
Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

Is this legit???

Lily, not only would I be openin a dispute, I would also be looking at reporting them for fraud, selling an item they dont have. Not in stock is NOT an excuse. The seller assumes all responsibilty for the listing so therefore I would have though,  that would also mean they can not sell an item they dont have.

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

Is this legit???

I'd nicely tell them what phorum junkie said, post 2B-)

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

Is this legit???

gec2002
Community Member

It must be great to be perfect bsal6160 and never make a mistake.  In the real world sellers make errors on stock, its sold but under the wrong name, it get shoplifted or any number of other legitimate reasons.  In a B&M store if its not on display you can't buy it, but on the the internet stock control is much harder, especially for small new sellers.  Don't immediately assume its fraud it could be an honest mistake, give the seller a chance to sort it out, if they can't or won't then you have the option of opening a dispute.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

Is this legit???

Lily, their Paypal statement lists the buyers name not the ebay ID, so the best thing to do is give them the date the payment was made, and the amount, then they can easily pick up the payment that way.

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

Is this legit???

Lily, not only would I be openin a dispute, I would also be looking at reporting them for fraud,

What a load of bovine excrement, how on earth is poor stock control fraud? It would only be fraud if they did not refund, something they will have to do if they do not send the product.

It is partly ebay's fault that high volume sellers have items listed that they don't have in stock. If they end the listing until new stock comes in it can lower their standing in best match searches, a sudden rush on a particular item combined with tardy delivery from a supplier can mean an unexpected delay.

A dishonest seller would have made excuses, claimed the item was in the mail and dragged it out until they had the stock and then said they were sorry it had gone missing and they were sending a replacement!

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

Is this legit???

Hi again,

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I have given the Paypal transaction #, date paid and amount to the seller.  As yet, no reply!!!!

I won and paid on the 24/6, receiving feedback from the seller immediately.  The seller then marked the item as posted on the 27/6, but then informed me, that there was no stock, 2 days after they had marked it as posted.  That is why I became suspicious, especially asking for my personal details, including ph. no. to refund.

My gosh, in total this is just $13 worth, but still very odd they are finding it difficult to refund.

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply