Issue with Paypal CHECKOUT "message to Seller Box" - and Numpty Seller

Using a different account I bought some kids name label stickers for school from a seller who sells personalised labels. In his listing he states to send your choice of sticker colour, font type and the NAME of the child using the Paypal CHECKOUT or through the Ebay message system. I used the Paypal checkout message to seller section and typed my requirements including the name of my child  which, for example, I typed in this way "GIRLS NAME".

When the stickers arrived they arrived printed with the words ---- GIRLS NAME&QUOT ----. I was shocked he had no quality control system in place to check them for errors since he had to handle them to package them up anyway. I wrote a message to him to say I was disappointed there was a printing error and weren't checked before sending. I sent a photo of the stickers attached to the Ebay message (as you can now attach photos to messages). He replies with  a rude message saying he takes offence to my claim, there was NO photo attached (there was), and that he prints things as typed, regardless of how strange the name may look.

Upon reviewing my Paypal checkout form, I see the error lies in the HTML coding of messages sent through Paypal on checkout using the message system. Where I had typed "GIRLS NAME" using quotation marks, it has then (upon sending), reverted this to html code, coming up as "&QUOT GIRLS NAME &QUOT" . Ie, my quotation marks were reverted to html code so that each quotation mark was transformed into """. So technically he has STILL printed them incorrectly as he only printed the "" at the end of my daughters name, not at the front. Regardless, with over 6 thousand feedback you would think he would be more professional in at least realising there was an error. He has only 5 negs and that was in the last 12 months, none in the previous 6 months, and I had ordered from the same seller TWICE before (a year or 2 ago and everything was perfect). I had no reason to think this time would be different.

My question is, where do I stand with an item "not as described" case, if the seller is unwilling to resolve? Would paypal accept some responsibility for their error in the their message coding system? Would a photo of the stickers suffice to show them it has an error? Would I need a third party to verify this is not as described? Would I win a case? What do you suggest I do. I have sent another photo to the seller's paypal address as he said he didn't receive the first photo, and I have written back to say it's partly Paypals fault for their html coding but please can he understand I didn't really do anything wrong as I followed the instructions in his listing to "send the message to seller upon checkout through paypal" and there was nothing that said to not use quotation marks to mark the beginning and ending of my daughters name (it is common practice to use quotation marks in doing this, - and had I used the Ebay message system instead, I doubt this would have happened).

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Issue with Paypal CHECKOUT "message to Seller Box" - and Numpty Seller

I would like further info on why this is the case. The seller could send any printing or anything to you in that case. So hardly seems fair.

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

After careful consideration, we're unable to decide this claim in your favour at this time.

The item violates the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy. It's ineligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.

I think what they are saying is for some reason the seller should not have listed the item with paypal as a payment option because ...  the original listing violated the paypal acceptable use policy. Paypal reviewed the listing retrospectively and   no buyer or seller protection was available therefore your dispute was denied

...... which is a a little weird but inline with the

"all care but no responsiblity" PP

and ebay corporate attitude and gives credence to my ebay and PP slogan

Ebay and Paypal......

"The obfuscation experts"

ie There is nothing that you did wrong in the dispute process ... and I dunno why pp adjudicated that the sellers listing breached the acceptable use policy

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/acceptableuse-full?country.x=AU

You are independently responsible for complying with all applicable laws in all of your actions related to your use of PayPal's services, regardless of the purpose of the use. In addition, you must adhere to the terms of this Acceptable Use Policy.

Prohibited Activities

You may not use the PayPal service for activities that:

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

there it is

(d) are for the sale of certain items before the seller has control or possession of the item (such as pre-sale items,  click here to learn more),

The seller could not have control or possession of the items at the point of sale. ie when you paid via paypal they had not printed the stickers....

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

okay I appreciate that info. So how does it work then if the seller shouldn't have offered Paypal as an option for paying, yet all Ebay sellers are required to offer Paypal as an option?

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

grey area you are also a paypal user. So the seller should not have offered it and even if they did you should not have used it

....which really sucks and hopefully gives buyers something to think about when paypal states

" this listing may qualify for the Paypal buyer protection policy"

I bet 43 cents that many PP disputes have been upheld in the buyers favour especially for items made to order that, by policy, should not have been.

I bet another 43 cents that the seller in question pointed out to paypal that the item did not qualify as per their policy so paypal had no choice but to disallow the claim

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

Might be an opening for an entrepenuarial type to point out the PP acceptable use policy foible in their listing then ask the intendant buyer to presale supply the seller with the printing required, seller then supplies a sample which is approved by the buyer seller then personalizes the final listing as

"100 stickers printed with

"Paypal and ebay the obfuscation experts"

๐Ÿ˜›

then the listing would have qualified for buyer and seller protection

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

Appreciate all your well-informed replies this morning, Colic. I have just called Paypal on their phone line (first time doing this). Had a helpful guy who after I explained everything to, said he'd be happy to send me an email form so I could report the "Message Box html coding issue" so it could be improved, and he also offered me a one time refund as a courtesy, for the full amount of my transaction.

He then said, to always be careful of CUSTOM MADE items, as sellers are allowed to offer paypal on them, but Buyers are NEVER protected for these kind of items.

So I have learned my lesson. Pity the seller got little reprimand for his poor professional behaviour and conduct, although I did have the ability to leave Negative Feedback, which I of course did.

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

I still think that the seller breaches the paypal acceptable use policy by listing items with a PP payment option

before the seller has control or possession of the item

regardless of what PP customer service says

because it expressly forbids it

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

So paypal cannot have their cake and it it too

copy and paste below

You are independently responsible for complying with all applicable laws in all of your actions related to your use of PayPal's services, regardless of the purpose of the use. In addition, you must adhere to the terms of this Acceptable Use Policy.

you is highlighted because it relates to all users of Paypal not "this policy relates to buyers and not to sellers"

just You which means all users

Paypal made a discretionary payment... not out of the goodness of their heart.... they made it because their acceptance of your initial payment was in contravention of their own user agreement

and

but rather than air their dirty washing outside.... in the financial ombudsmens backyard for more to see

.... they have made put positive PR spin onto it...

by making a "big hearted" discretionary payment AKA "hush money"

however the lump under the carpet continues to grow

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

so to put it in plain terms by denying your (buyers) claim because it breaches the acceptable use policy paypal with the use of "you" meaning all users (buyer and seller in this case) of the paypal service paypal has admitted by inference that the seller also breached the pp acceptable use policy

imo ๐Ÿ˜

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply