Issue with a purchase

I bought a solar fountain for just under $200. It doesn't function the way it is described in the user manual they sent me or the way you would expect it to. I have been exchanging messages with them about the it and they are being deliberately evasive about the issue. I read the eBay product listing and it doesn't state exactly how the product works so l can not claim that product is not as described. It is covered by a one year warranty and is definitely not functioning as described in the manual l received with the product. I just want them to address the issue and offer a solution....at least a partial refund. I don't know if l have a leg to stand on for a refund because the product listing doesn't describe exactly how it works. So lm not sure what to do from here. I don't want to lose $200 for a faulty product. It's very deceptive on their part. Does the manual description count for anything? Will eBay likely side with me or them? Thanks guys

They didn't send me a warranty proof so l don't even know how to make a warranty claim.

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Issue with a purchase

Thankyou. But what's the difference between opening a dispute or using the warranty they supply? Thanks

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

Issue with a purchase

Opening a dispute should get you a refund on return of the item. A warranty on eBay isn't worth the paper it's printed on. They are impossible to enforce.

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

Issue with a purchase

Oh ok l didn't know that. I would have thought a seller that big would honor their word. Good to know.

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

Issue with a purchase

Issue with a purchase

Thanks l just checked and most are satisfied. What l can't figure out is if they all operate like this or if lve got a dud. According to the user manual it's defective but l don't know if the user manual is wrong or the product itself. Would be good if l could compare with other buyers.

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

Issue with a purchase

I noticed the seller is listing that item as a 'private listing' (you can't then work out the f/b)
Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

Issue with a purchase

I should prob know this but what's the f/b? 

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

Issue with a purchase

Feedback

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

Issue with a purchase

You're not happy, it isn't operating as you expected.

I think you are obsessing about the manual and whether or not the thing is working as it should because the manual seems to suggest otherwise. It actually doesn't matter.

There is no way ebay is going to bother reading the manual to make a decision.

All you have to do is open a not as described claim with ebay. State that it is not working as described. Don't admit to confusion. Just that it is not functioning properly.

You should win the claim and as others have said, as long as you escalate, you should get a refund. Don't close though till there is a resolution. If the seller offers a partial refund for instance, wait till it arrives.

Now is the time to act, don't wait around hoping a warranty will work (it probably won't, as you've seen from the evasive replies you have had), not when you can get a refund.

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

Issue with a purchase

@simbaroo*1 wrote:

I read the eBay product listing and it doesn't state exactly how the product works so l can not claim that product is not as described.

This is all they have in the description about how the solar panel and battery work, however I don't know if this was the wording at time of purchase:

"The Fountain features a 4-tier bird bath with water cascading down all the way. The 3W polycrystalline solar panel is weather proof and charges up a rechargeable lithium battery..."

In other words, they don't explicitly say that the solar panel directly powers the fountain, only that it charges the battery.

-But- The subitle clearly states  "โœ“LED Lights โœ“Back up Battery โœ“5M Cable โœ“Easy Setup". This is part of the description, and certainly far easier to spot than the description quoted above. Back-up battery indicates it's a back-up power source (unless it comes with a spare battery), and from that most people would assume the solar panel is the primary power source.

In case you need to argue it with eBay. 

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply