Issue with a purchase

I bought a solar fountain for just under $200. It doesn't function the way it is described in the user manual they sent me or the way you would expect it to. I have been exchanging messages with them about the it and they are being deliberately evasive about the issue. I read the eBay product listing and it doesn't state exactly how the product works so l can not claim that product is not as described. It is covered by a one year warranty and is definitely not functioning as described in the manual l received with the product. I just want them to address the issue and offer a solution....at least a partial refund. I don't know if l have a leg to stand on for a refund because the product listing doesn't describe exactly how it works. So lm not sure what to do from here. I don't want to lose $200 for a faulty product. It's very deceptive on their part. Does the manual description count for anything? Will eBay likely side with me or them? Thanks guys

They didn't send me a warranty proof so l don't even know how to make a warranty claim.

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Issue with a purchase

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Can you post the item number please.

How does the item function compared to the description in the listing?

It certainly sounds as though it is not as described.

The only warranty you woud have is if the seller is a registered Australian business who is an authorised seller of the item.  I suspect that your seller is not a registered Australian business so any warranty will be useless.

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

Issue with a purchase

If the seller is not offering a solution then open a case for INAD, you only have 30 days before that option is no longer available.

Then the seller may offer something.

But don't close the case until you have satisfaction as you cannot reopen a case.

image host
Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

Issue with a purchase

Thanks for responding. Item number 371429763241. They are a large australian business so lm assuming theyd be registered. How can l find out? 

Basically the fountain doesn't operate when the solar panel is in the sun which is an assumption you make of solar products but it also clearly states it three times in their user manual. It says that the battery is a backup which is charged for use when it's cloudy or night time. Instead the way it functions is it doesn't function in the sun until the battery is charged via the solar panel. Then when it's charged you can operate it if you turn the battery on so you have to use the battery even when there is full sunshine (Hope this explanation makes sense)

Their listing is a bit ambiguous....mentions it has a battery but doesn't describe the way it operates exactly.

I have sent them photos of the three places on their manual that says it's supposed to run on solar power alone and extra solar charges the battery for use when it's cloudy or night.

What do you think?

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

Issue with a purchase

Thanks but can l do an INAD even though it's different to the user manual not necessarily the listing? 

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

Issue with a purchase

Thing is also I don't want them to agree to return but make me pay postage as the items huge and heavy. How does an INAD case work? Do ebay step in to assist? That's why I'm trying to solve the issue with them before opening a case.

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

Issue with a purchase

If an INAD is approved, then the seller has to pay the return postage. As they are in Australia, they would be required to send a shipping label.

They've sold 455 of them, so it's possible you got a dud one. It happens.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

Issue with a purchase

When you open a dispute case INAD and ask eBay to step in do they look at your message exchanges with the seller to help them resolve the issue?

eBay can look at messages but often don't.

Even if they did read messages, their decisions are usually based on their systematic approach rather than case by case.

Buyer wins 95% of INAD cases, especially if a seller stops responding.

image host
Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

Issue with a purchase

Thanks. Yes well that's my point l got a dud one but they are not admitting to it despite me sending them video proof.

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

Issue with a purchase

@simbaroo*1 wrote:

Thanks. Yes well that's my point l got a dud one but they are not admitting to it despite me sending them video proof.

Then open a dispute. As mentioned, you only have 30 days to do it through eBay, so don't delay. It sounds like you've tried to work something out with the seller and they aren't complying, so the dispute is your only option now. Other sellers have them, so send it back, get a refund and buy from someone else.

Don't send back until eBay tell you to though. You must follow the rules for a dispute, or you'll lose out.

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply