Item not received, no insurance

I bid for an item in the UK and it was being sent airmail. It was over 20 pounds for postage which did not include insurance. The seller did say it was my responsibility. I have not received the item as yet and it has been 2 weeks. If I don't have it in another week, can I claim back from Paypal or do I have to bear the cost of having paid for an item which hasn't got here?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Give it a little longer given the distance and time of year, but keep an eye on the 45 days to open an INR dispute via paypal. The seller is incorrect telling you that it is your responsibility and you most certainly can claim if it does not arrive. Once you open the dispute you have 20 days to escalate to a claim, and if the item arrives within that time you can simply close the dispute. If not, you will receive a refund and if it arrives later, you can contact the seller and arrange to pay then.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

I don't think two weeks is long enough to allow for postage from the U.K.

You will not have to bear the cost, it is up to the seller to get the item to you.

When you feel you have waited long enough, start the resolution process through paypal for item not received.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

I presume its the LK Bennet bag-if so,that seller has been both buying & selling on ebay long enough to know they should have insisted on international registered post if they wanted to be covered in case of non delivery.

Paypal is your insurance,registered is theirs.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

The seller did offer Airsure which was quite a bit dearer but said happy to send airmail if I took responsibility if the item got lost. I just wondered, I don't want to claim from seller because we both agreed that condition and I don't want to renege on it. Happy to claim from Paypal if I can though.

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If you claim on paypal you are claiming on the seller...paypal takes the money from the seller's account.

In the meantime, 2 weeks is way too soon to even think about items not arriving from the UK.

At this time of the year you need to allow at least 4 weeks, even from the UK.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

The seller did offer Airsure which was quite a bit dearer but said happy to send airmail if I took responsibility if the item got lost. I just wondered, I don't want to claim from seller because we both agreed that condition and I don't want to renege on it. Happy to claim from Paypal if I can though.

If you paid via PayPal, you have insurance.

If your parcel does not arrive, start an item not received dispute. Why would you settle for no item...and no money.

Make sure though, if your item has not arrived, to start the dispute within 45 days from the date of purchase.

Your seller has been dishonest, shame on them.

siggie-reported-by-alarmists..............
Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

Jeez you're pretty tough. The buyer agreed to take responsibility if she took the cheaper shipping price. She acknowledges that fact. Yes she can claim from paypal. But paypal will take the money from the seller ! Surely you know that. So in effect, the buyer is saying in that scenario, yes I'll take responsibility, but now, no I won't. Pity the poor damn seller.

OP, 2 weeks isn't long enough for air mail from the UK. You need to at least allow 4 weeks. Should you decide to open a paypal dispute, and I do hope you won't, then you have 45 days from date of payment, so there is no rush to decide anything yet.

I do hope you keep your word to the seller though. A very nasty experience for her if you don't and she'll never take anyone at their word again ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

I'm sorry, beautiful room, but it is the seller's responsibility to make sure a buyer receives their purchase, whether or not it was insured.  Sellers can say they won't accept responsibility, however PayPal will find in favour of the buyer if the seller cannot provide tracking:|

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Jeez you're pretty tough. The buyer agreed to take responsibility if she took the cheaper shipping price. She acknowledges that fact. Yes she can claim from paypal. But paypal will take the money from the seller ! Surely you know that. So in effect, the buyer is saying in that scenario, yes I'll take responsibility, but now, no I won't. Pity the poor damn seller.

OP, 2 weeks isn't long enough for air mail from the UK. You need to at least allow 4 weeks. Should you decide to open a paypal dispute, and I do hope you won't, then you have 45 days from date of payment, so there is no rush to decide anything yet.

I do hope you keep your word to the seller though. A very nasty experience for her if you don't and she'll never take anyone at their word again ๐Ÿ˜ž

Yes, of course I know that.

Not registering the parcel was the sellers choice. 

They are no doubt, big enough and old enough to know that that is their responsibility....not the buyers.

As a seller, I have only posted via Registered Mail....and always have proof of positing..and delivery.;-)

Without proof of posting the item...what's to stop the seller keeping the item....and saying oh well, not my fault it didn't arrive.  They have already proved that they are full of it. I wouldn't trust them personally.

Airmail....4 weeks?.....no way.

siggie-reported-by-alarmists..............
Message 10 of 22
Latest reply