Items purchased on credit card listed as paypal

kinewma-2
Community Member

I have a number of purchases I completed recently.  In the Order details sections they are listed as being paid via credit card but in my credit card statement they are just listed as Paypal.  I know these are my purchase because the date an value match items I purchased.  Despite being listed as just Paypal in my credit card statement I did not use Paypal to make these purchase as far as I can tell as there is no listing of these purchase in my Paypal accounts. 

Does anyone else who has used a credit card have this inconsistent labeling on their credit card statements?

I need a receipt to acquit these purchases and as these items are listed as coming via Paypal have been trying to find a Paypal receipt but can not find one anywhere.  I never received a paypal receipt with the original purchase.  If Paypal is processing ebays credit card purchases should they be able to generate a receipt?

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Items purchased on credit card listed as paypal

@kinewma-2 wrote:
None of these purchase are listed in Paypal.

That would be because you didn't log into your PayPal account to make the payments.

You can use PayPal as a guest if paying by credit card, even if you're not using ebay as a guest, and that is how credit card payments are usually processed on eBay - because first and foremost, PayPal is a payment processor so they provide checkout facilities, for a variety of payment methods (you only have to log in if you're using a PayPal balance, or eCheque).

Some sellers have independent merchant facilities but most don't, it's usually just bigger retailers who have them as part of their normal retail operation, and from memory only two out of the many facilities available to sellers can integrate with eBay's checkout like PayPal does; with all others the CC payment has to be processed manually by the seller, usually over the phone.

Message 21 of 39
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

@kinewma-2 wrote:

The problem with paypal is logging into Paypal when it redirects in the popup from ebay, I would enter my log in details and then it would get stuck ttrying to load anything after that.  The problem started recietly but that is not the issue I am trying to resolve.

If you are experiencing a login loop, try clearing cache and cookies and reboot your computer. Also if using IE as a browser switch to Firefox or Chrome, they are much more eBay-friendly.

Thanks I'll give this a go in the future

Message 22 of 39
Latest reply

Yes I now beleive this is the case (but people keep saying check your paypal summary so I an trying to make it clear to the poeple who do not understand that I have not been logging into paypal so it will not appear on my summary.

If Paypal is pocessing this transaction shouldn't they generate an invoice at this time also and email it to me?
Message 23 of 39
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@kinewma-2 wrote:
None of these purchase are listed in Paypal.

That would be because you didn't log into your PayPal account to make the payments.

You can use PayPal as a guest if paying by credit card, even if you're not using ebay as a guest, and that is how credit card payments are usually processed on eBay - because first and foremost, PayPal is a payment processor so they provide checkout facilities, for a variety of payment methods (you only have to log in if you're using a PayPal balance, or eCheque).

Some sellers have independent merchant facilities but most don't, it's usually just bigger retailers who have them as part of their normal retail operation, and from memory only two out of the many facilities available to sellers can integrate with eBay's checkout like PayPal does; with all others the CC payment has to be processed manually by the seller, usually over the phone.

Yes I now beleive this is the case (but people keep saying check your paypal summary so I an trying to make it clear to the poeple who do not understand that I have not been logging into paypal so it will not appear on my summary).

If Paypal is pocessing this transaction shouldn't they generate an invoice at this time also and email it to me?

Message 24 of 39
Latest reply

@kinewma-2 wrote:

Many of you do not seem to understand that at no point have I used a paypal popup box to enter credit card details or logged into paypal.  My credit card details are linked to by ebay account.  When that box is ticked it uses that payment method.  As far as I was concerned when I checked out Paypal was not involved.  But now Paypal is listed as the Merchant on my Credit card statement.

I do understand. 

When you click on Paypal you are taken to your paypal account and you use whatever funding source you have attached to your account.

When you click on Credit Card you are told that paypal will be processing the payment (usually because the merchant does not accept credit cards directly)  I believe it also states that it will apper on your card statement as Paypal.

It is not attached to your paypal account and will not show there.

If you want to initiate a dispute you cannot do it through paypal or ebay.....you can only do a chargback through your credit card.

My first questions was if this happened with other poeple?  When you purchase things by just entering your credit card and do not use Paypal, how does that appear on your credit card statement?

It has never happened to me because I prefer to have the protection of paypal with a chargeback as a backup option but I do know it appears as paypal on your CC statement as you were told when you used the option.

If as some of you have suggested the sellers are using Paypal to process the credit card payment, shouldn't I still receive an invoice from Paypal?  - In that scenario it would not appear on my Paypal account because I have not selected to use Paypal to make the payment

No you will not get a paypal receipt as you are not using your paypal account.....it is a bank transaction.

Message 25 of 39
Latest reply

I hope lyndals reply helps you as MANY times you were told using paypal as guest will NOT give a receipt and all you could say was you did not use paypal when you HAVE without actually signing into it.

Message 26 of 39
Latest reply

Thanks Sparklz, I understood after Lyndals first post that it was using Paypal to complete the transaction but after that other people including yourself continued to point me towards paypal accounts and confirming that I am using the right email address to access paypal.  My continued insistence that I was not logging into Paypal had everything to do with making it clear that it was not a matter of going to Paypal and finding an invoice in my paypal account.   

In fact no one had made it clear that paying by credit card constiuted checking out as a guest on paypal.  The first time guest was brought up it was in relation to my eBay account whenever guest has been mentioned I have thought people have been talking about me having a guest eBay account not a guest Paypal account.  That was not made clear, Lyndals second message is also the first time I was told that I would not receive an email from Paypal despite them processing the transaction.

While I appreciate everyones input and assistance with this, your snarky remark is not necessary.  The difference between guest on eBay and guest on Paypal may have been clear to you but were not clear to me.  Nor was the fact that I should not expect an invoice, hence my confusion and continuation in asking questions.

For anyone who encounters this and stumbles upon this thread:

When completing a purchase on eBay and using the pay by Credit Card option, in most instances Paypal will be used to process the payment.  Because you are not using a Paypal account to complete the purchase it automatically processes the transaction as a guest Paypal transaction.  The transaction will appear on your bank statement as 'Paypal' but you will not receive an invoice from Paypal.

Message 27 of 39
Latest reply

Thanks Lyndal for your response
Message 28 of 39
Latest reply

@kinewma-2 wrote:

At no point am I logging into Paypal.  I do not have any paypal account attached to my eBay account and on checkout I have not logged into paypal.  Hence my shock when these items are listed as Paypal on my statement.  I have also checked these items do not appear in either of my Paypal accounts nor have I recieved an email from paypal regarding them 

This is a work CC which I need to acquit with receipts.  As these are listed as coming via paypal I need a paypal receipt.  I have never received one and as I said previously, did not use paypal in anyway on checkout as I abandoned it recently because of technical issues.

I don't know how ebay could process any payment through paypal if you haven't got your paypal entered somewhere under your account details.  They have to have got your paypal details from somewhere.

If you want a receipt, do as suggested and print the order details.  To find them, go to your purchases section and click on the dropdown menu to the right of the relevant item and then click on View Order Details.  That'll show what you bought, the price, probably how you paid and who you bought from.  When I view the details for my sales it shows the buyer's name and address, ebay ID, item details, price and payment method and date.

Message 29 of 39
Latest reply

Given you find my comments snarky PLEASE read the following as it was mentioned several times about being a guest to paypal and given your post was about PAYPAL then it is assumed you would be reading the answers to relate to your question about PAYPAL unless ebay was mentioned

Message number 4 brerrabbit585 said
then you're probably paying as a guest through paypal when you use your credit card in checkout.

@*sparklz* wrote:

Unless the seller offers credit card as payment then you will be going through paypal as suggested as a guest.

Seems your purchases are from China and they do not have the CC as payment option, ONLY paypal so that is where you are going through whether you realise it or not

Message number 10

Not if you are only using as a guest

Message 11

As others have said, if you click on Credit Card as the payment option and then enter your card details then you are paying through payal and that is what you will see on your credit card statement.

Sorry you find my remarks snarky BUT this is what was stated earlier

Message 21

You can use PayPal as a guest if paying by credit card,

Message 30 of 39
Latest reply