Items smell very strongly of Mothballs/ naphthalene

Hi everyone, I bought a set of suitcases from a seller that I has purchased from before with no problems. 

this time however, there is an incredibly strong smell of mothballs in the suitcases. I have opened them up and aired them outside for a day, (inconvenient because the dog needs to be kept away from them ) but the smell is still so strong it is making my eyes water and my nose run. 

Live googled and it says to use Lavender oil to get rid of the smell, but the problem is that 1. I don't have any at hand and 2. I was hoping to use the suitcases for my holiday next week. But there is no way the smell will be gone by then and there is no way I'm putting my clothes and personal things in those very stinky suitcases. 

The seller has suggested airing them out, which is what I've already tried. 

What is a good solution? My previous purchase of suitcases from this seller had no mothball smell and were able to be used immediately, this new lot is making me feel sick!! 

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

@ineke713 wrote:

What is a good solution? My previous purchase of suitcases from this seller had no mothball smell and were able to be used immediately, this new lot is making me feel sick!! 

Leave them airing and use the suitcases you bought previously?

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

Burn them-seriously, never found a way yet to get rid of that disgusting stink. Can't believe some

people actually like the stink and even store their clothes with mothballs in the drawers and

cupboards ewwww

My mum bought an antique trunk from an op shop in 1960's-still haven't managed to get rid of the

stink of mothballs.

Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

You can try sprinkling bicarbonate of soda over the suitcases and leaving them closed overnight. Vacuum up the bicarb. of soda and repeat if necessary.

Also, after using the bicardonate of soda to absorb the smell, try filling a spray bottle with white vinegar diluted with half water. You can spritz this over the suitcases. You may even want to fill some jars with white vinegar, and leave them open in the (closed) suitcase for a day or so.

Another suggestion that I've come across is to use a steam cleaner. Perhaps hire a Britex machine from Bunnings...?

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

Bicarb of soda might do it.

I was also thinking of some of those commercial products you can use to spray on fabrics. or something like nil odour. Not sure how they would work but worth a try.

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

What are they made of?

Are they 'cloth/material' types one or the plastc-y type?

I've heard of using bicarb too

Or maybe a dry cleaner can suggest something ?

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

@ineke713 wrote:

Hi everyone, I bought a set of suitcases from a seller that I has purchased from before with no problems. 

this time however, there is an incredibly strong smell of mothballs in the suitcases. I have opened them up and aired them outside for a day, (inconvenient because the dog needs to be kept away from them ) but the smell is still so strong it is making my eyes water and my nose run. 

Live googled and it says to use Lavender oil to get rid of the smell, but the problem is that 1. I don't have any at hand and 2. I was hoping to use the suitcases for my holiday next week. But there is no way the smell will be gone by then and there is no way I'm putting my clothes and personal things in those very stinky suitcases. 

The seller has suggested airing them out, which is what I've already tried. 

Possibly try white vinegar and wipe them over and get a mist sprayer to spray vinegar in the difficult parts. That may help.

Isn't naptholine off the shelves now?. I heard that kids were sniffing it.

Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

What about those charcoal thingies for fridges? Aren't they supposed to absorb fridge odours? They might help if left in a suitcase.

Anyway, after the vinegar, bicarb, charcoal & sprays etc, the cases should at least smell.. different.Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

What about those charcoal thingies for fridges? Aren't they supposed to absorb fridge odours? They might help if left in a suitcase.

Anyway, after the vinegar, bicarb, charcoal & sprays etc, the cases should at least smell.. different.Smiley Happy

Yeah, that's a good idea, charcoal would  absorb the rest of the ordor.

Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I would recommend Nil Odour from the supermarket or chemist.

I have had excellent results removing horse odours and paint smells from small areas and large rooms.

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply