Just bought a $271 gift card with $25 value

5amzz
Community Member

Hi guys,
Recently I just bought this thegoodguys gift card Description clearly state $271 is the amount.
Called thegoodguys today, told me the amount was only $25 left.
What you guys think I should do with this matters? 
All opinion and helps is appreciated.
Have lodged paypal and report the member to ebay.
Cheers
Sam

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Just bought a $271 gift card with $25 value

cq_tech
Community Member

You might want to check Paypal's Buyer Protection Policy as I have a feeling that gift cards are one of the items that are specifically excluded from buyer protection, in which case you could try eBay's MBG Policy, although the exclusion may exist there as well.

If that's the case, you may need to get the police involved on the basis that it's a fraudulent transaction.

Here are the relevant links:

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/paypal-buyer-protection

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

image.jpg

Gift cards are not covered by Paypal, you could try your bank for a chargeback if you paid with a credit card.

The eBay policy omits intangibles but does not appear to exclude gift cards...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

The eBay policy:

image.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Gift cards are not covered by paypal.

Have you contacted the seller yet?  You should have done that before going to paypal.  It is possible that he does not realise that the amount is wrong.  He may have had more than one card and has sent you the wrong one.

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Have contacted the seller.
The seller is a she.She still claimed the gift card was unused as it was given for a refund for her purchases.But she was not aware at all the gift card was used.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

@5amzz wrote:

Have contacted the seller.
The seller is a she.She still claimed the gift card was unused as it was given for a refund for her purchases.But she was not aware at all the gift card was used.

I wonder if there might be someone else in her household that may have had access to the card without her realizing it? I'd be very delicate about how you word it though if you do ask her about that.

If the seller doesn't rectify it, try eBay's money back guarantee, though I have concerns about what they may define as an 'intangible'. If no luck through eBay then you can take the matter to police as suggested previously, it shouldn't be too hard for them to ascertain from TGG when the card had been used and for what $$s and then compare that to the date of sale & $$s the seller claimed it had at that time.

Good luck.

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

Ive not heard of a gift card being given as a refund before. Im sure the seller knew exactly how much was on the card.

I would go to the police with the item page printed out, any emails from the seller, and the seller name and address etc, as much info as you can take with you.

I think the best thing to do when buying any kind of card like that is to ALWAYS ask for the card number and the pin, so you can then check yourself online what the ballance is before purchase, the only way you cant do this is if the security tape/strip is still over the pin.

But dont just assume that its un used even if its still intact.

Good luck.

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Ive not heard of a gift card being given as a refund before.

If they bought the item originally with a gift card, then they would get a gift card back (not cash) when they returned the purchased item.

I returned a faulty electric kettle to a major store, it was covered by warranty. They gave me a store credit (they didn't have any suitable kettles in stock). I changed the store credit there for a ColesM Gift card.

Insurance companies give gift cards for items damaged in claim payouts.

Someone.. either the seller (preferably) of the buyer (OP) needs to ask The Good Guys for details of any transactions on the card ( prior to postage date when the card was sent to buyer).

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Has the seller offered a refund on return of the card? If they have then make sure you send it registered letter. I would also take a screen shot of how much is left on the card if you can get that info on line.

Going to the local police would probably not help unless the seller was in the same district, better to use the on line auction fraud report site, just google to find it, if you tell them that is what you are going to do unless you get a refund it may just prompt them to offer a refund.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 22
Latest reply