Just bought a $271 gift card with $25 value

5amzz
Community Member

Hi guys,
Recently I just bought this thegoodguys gift card Description clearly state $271 is the amount.
Called thegoodguys today, told me the amount was only $25 left.
What you guys think I should do with this matters? 
All opinion and helps is appreciated.
Have lodged paypal and report the member to ebay.
Cheers
Sam

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Just bought a $271 gift card with $25 value

er what can the police do? It's not a criminal case and it's hard to prove. How can buyer prove he didn't spend it?

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

@kuromusha1 wrote:

er what can the police do? It's not a criminal case and it's hard to prove. How can buyer prove he didn't spend it?

Actually if it is fraud it is most definately a criminal case, and as am3 said in post # 9 - quite easy to prove the spending on said card -

Someone.. either the seller (preferably) of the buyer (OP) needs to ask The Good Guys for details of any transactions on the card ( prior to postage date when the card was sent to buyer).

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

Have got thegoodguys customer service to get involved in this matter as they won't discuss the purchases details with me they do ask the seller ebay and contact them directly.AS EBAY AND PAYPAL ARE NOT WILLING TO HELP, thegoodguys have since contacted the seller regards her purchases and have not get back to me.
The seller, keep denying that she ever uses the gift card and have not even admit using it until thegoodguys contacted her personnaly.I keep asking for my refund and she doesn't bother to respond to me at all.
I have given her 24 hour limit for explanation but 24 hour limit has past with no further contact.
Should I just report this matter to police?Should I give her negative feedback right away or wait till she responded and see whether she is willing to do the refund?

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

You should at least give her until Tuesday to reply. It's possible she has gone away for the weekend or may have taken the weekend off from ebay/online activities to spend that time with family, as many often do.

In the meantime you should check out the online auction fraud reporting site that phorum junkie suggested, SCAMwatch  http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/tag/onlineauctionshoppingscams

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

Ebay and paypal CANNOT help you.....the paypal Terms and Conditions clearly state that gift cards are NOT covered.  If you had read what you signed when you joined paypal you would know this.

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

So are there any updates on the case?
Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

What updates would you expect?   Under the paypal terms gift cards are not covered, full stop.

Whatever satisfaction the OP gets will be dependant on the seller and I don't see them as being very co-operative.

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

Obiously she didn't hold it against the GG's given the 3 recent purchases! Maybe she did get the card refilled and was able to use it. Looking at the listing, one has to wonder whether the alleged son did some spending and didn't tell her before she listed the card. Great scam though, especially if you know the rules about gift cards having no protection.

I took a look at a couple of the gift cards from other sellers that showed in that listing and this one had me shaking my head. Read the title, then look at what bidding is up to...... 301414933270. Some people are nuts!! Have to win the auction at all costs! Even the second highest bid had me shaking my head. Why not just spend that money, instead of bidding that much for a card worth that much? Crazy.

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

just goes to show how stupid some people are. why on earth would you bid above the value of the card
Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

Hence why I was scratching my head! I guess some people are determined to win an auction at all costs.

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply