Made a last minute bid, was outbid and asked what my max bid was, tapped on the $55 then informed i

Made a last minute bid which was outbid, tapped max bid for $55 then informed I had won for $63. **bleep**? $8.00 not the issue, but why? Honestly,  I  did not bid $63 . Anyone had this happen?

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Made a last minute bid, was outbid and asked what my max bid was, tapped on the $55 then informed i

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I have never had it happen and without looking at the bidding history it is a bit hard to guess what might have happened.

Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

Could you have tapped $65 instead of $55?

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

Absolutely not it was $55.00, first option. I don't make mistakes like this, just curious.

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

Ebay will never bid higher than a buyers maximum bid. If you won the item at $63.00 then you have accidentally entered a bid higher than $55.00. The most common reason for this is putting a comma instead of a full stop when entering the amount.

If you had accidentally entered $55,00 instead of $55.00 then your highest bid becomes $5500

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

or $555, thats been done before when bidding in a hurry. best to decide what your max bid is then if you really want to bid last moment wait till theres only like 10 seconds left before pressing the bid button. if you dont win thats how auctions work. trying to do 1 more bid at the last moment can cause miss typing of amounts.

Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

No.

some possible reasons posted already. If eBay was doctoring bids, that would ruin their business. Hope you are happy with the item, luckily it was only 8$ and not a lot more. When I do last minute bids I type it in a bit earlier just to make sure it's right, then hit the bid button closer to the last seconds. I know you don't believe you made a mistake...if you are 100% certain, call eBay and tell them to check it. Because that would mean there is a big problem with their system. It should be impossible without an error in your bid.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

can you post the exact whole title for the item?  Not the seller name or item number, just the title.  This may help us help you better.

My guess would be the use of a comma, as mentioned by jens.  That was mentioned in this old thread http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Help-and-advice-for-buyers/td-p/1391531 on post #33 of 51.  When bidding whole dollar amounts I don't bother trying to type in the zero cents.  So, $15.00 bid by me is input as just $15

Lose the zeros I say.

moderators please note:  my request for the item title is not for the purpose of naming and shaming, just want to get a look at the bidding history for the item.

Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

ironic that you are now asking the OP for item numbers to check history which you could have done with watchcount.
Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

My thoughts exactly Harley....and what is the betting the OP does not return any time soon to answer any questions, if he returns at all.

Message 10 of 37
Latest reply