Mailing address

Something needs to be done about this stupid mailing address issue.

I live in the middle of a forest, there is NO MAIL DELIVERY so I have a post office box.  Clearly sellers DO NOT UNDERSTAND that this is not only the safest form of mail delivery but in many cases in Australia it is the ONLY form of mail delivery.  

It is annoying enough to have to drive into town once a week to collect mail and to find the box is empty now I have to put up with not being able to purchase items listed in Australia!

Before it used to be PO Boxes that were 'banned' and I managed to get around that by changing my address to 'Post Office Box' but obviously the tech deparment don't like that either!!!!

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Mailing address

Contact eBay and tell them

Or, see if you can use the 'address' of the post office before your actual PO address

(ie)

My Post office

1 Post office road

BOX 00

Post Office NSW 0000

Other members here use the post office 'address' as their address as they do not have mail deliveries either

Of course, if the seller already has PO Boxes on the list they don't post to, it won't matter what eBay 'allow' but this is shown before buying and always has been

However sellers are not responsible for what eBay do or don't allow buyers to put their address as

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Mailing address

Check with you post office,  it used to be that  any item addressed  to     C/-  Post Office  (WhoopWhoop)  had to be held for 30 days before it could be returned if not collected.  This enabled travellers etc  to have mail sent to a location that they intended to arrive at in a certain timeframe.  Not sure if it has changed.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Mailing address

You should also bear in mind that apart from Startrack, couriers cannot deliver to PO boxes unless they pay for it - which they won't.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Mailing address

@gutterpunkz05 wrote:

Check with you post office,  it used to be that  any item addressed  to     C/-  Post Office  (WhoopWhoop)  had to be held for 30 days before it could be returned if not collected.  This enabled travellers etc  to have mail sent to a location that they intended to arrive at in a certain timeframe.  Not sure if it has changed.

Just to add,  I simply use  the  C/-  Post Office   ??????  For return items.   As I am on good terms with  PO and delivery contractor, they normally give me a call to see if I want them to physically deliver .

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Mailing address

@fedelmar wrote:

Something needs to be done about this stupid mailing address issue.

I live in the middle of a forest, there is NO MAIL DELIVERY so I have a post office box.  Clearly sellers DO NOT UNDERSTAND that this is not only the safest form of mail delivery but in many cases in Australia it is the ONLY form of mail delivery.  

It is annoying enough to have to drive into town once a week to collect mail and to find the box is empty now I have to put up with not being able to purchase items listed in Australia!

Before it used to be PO Boxes that were 'banned' and I managed to get around that by changing my address to 'Post Office Box' but obviously the tech deparment don't like that either!!!!

I wonder if you could get around it by having your address as

Joe / Josephine Example

Please deliver to Whateverville, Box 44

Fictiontown,

Example State, Post code 0000

or

Joe / Josephine Example

Please deliver to Whateverville Post Office

(Box 44)

55 Nice Street

Fictiontown,

Example State Example Post code 0000

I did something similar some time back.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Mailing address

....Except, you can't expect that every seller in Australia is willing and able to cater for your specific needs. 

If a seller opts not to post to PO boxes, and you decide to completely disregard that, and try to make them anyway, is it because you either A) don't understand why they're refusing such addresses, and therefore feel entitled to override the seller's decision, or B) simply don't respect they have the right to make that decision?

I have a PO box, it's not an essential thing for me, but I like getting stuff sent there for convenience and security. But something does not need to be done about sellers having the right to make business decisions that best suit them. 

If you ask a seller and they agree it's a different story, but just supplying an address in a format that circumvents a block is not the way to go about it, because of the way ebay works you are automatically putting the seller in a position where they have to think about the consequences of refusing the sale (which they would otherwise have every right to do), and that's not cool.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Mailing address

I don't have any problem sending to Post Office Boxes, I do know that Couriers can't deliver to them and that some Sellers have some unknown reason to fear them. Saying you can't buy in Australia is just not true, there are plenty of us who post to Post Office Boxes all the time. You need to just choose those who do.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Mailing address

joz15au
Community Member
All my eBay purchases go to my PO Box. I only ever had one purchase where I had to change to my street address during the PayPal payment, but all my mail goes to my PO Box anyway as my local PO knows that I don't want it delivered due to mail being nicked from letter boxes in our street. IMO a PO Box is much safer. I also am happy to post to PO boxes for the same reason..
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Mailing address

@sandypebbles wrote:

Contact eBay and tell them

Or, see if you can use the 'address' of the post office before your actual PO address

(ie)

My Post office

1 Post office road

BOX 00

Post Office NSW 0000

Other members here use the post office 'address' as their address as they do not have mail deliveries either

Of course, if the seller already has PO Boxes on the list they don't post to, it won't matter what eBay 'allow' but this is shown before buying and always has been

However sellers are not responsible for what eBay do or don't allow buyers to put their address as

But sellers have the option of selecting what the will deliver to

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply