Major current ebay issue

drpeake
Community Member

I have posted this here because no where else seemed to fit..nor does it here.

Anyway.

Short version, the fix from customer support in writing was to close my account and start another one, even though i had new purchases pending.

After a few hours I have worked out that people in the hundreds (prob more) cant access thier account. Ebay cant help.

I worked out the security keys are not working so you only need the password. I have passed this info onto ebay by phone, and they have been wondering what all these errors are that people are complaining about. I have been advised to close link to paypal for security...sorry to my sellers, ebay have said its a security issue (In writing)

I thought i would mention it here, incase sellers are wondering why people are not paying.

I have coppies of transcripts

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Major current ebay issue

????? what are you taklking about?

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

Major current ebay issue

drpeake
Community Member

Spent enough time sorting this out. If you dont know what a security key(as ebay calls it) is, then it wont affect you, as you dont have one.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

Major current ebay issue

drpeake
Community Member

Seems i have lost some text.

Security keys are not working for a lot of customers at the moment and they dont know how to fix the problem yet.

A security key is what generates a 6 digit number you enter after your password.

Ebay systems are having a problem reding the 6 digit number which means passwords etc are not working to gain access to accounts. Help doesnt know how to fix the problem so i worked it out and it has been sent to tech support. Should be fixed by tomorrow

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

Major current ebay issue

Yesterday was Friday - glitch (maintenance) day.

That might have something to do with it.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

Major current ebay issue

bfeother
Community Member

I've tried to log into my ebay (been away for a few days so probably have a lovely mess to sort out - which i wanted to get started on tonight), but just keep getting;

"You have encountered an internal error, please try again later".

The problem isnt the security key itself, as it works fine with paypal.

I tried to contact ebay about it - but needed to sign in first...which i cant do.

They have contact hours - of which right now it is not, so seem to have no way of even getting the security key removed.

Only way i could post on here was to create a new ID. For some reason I thought if you had more than one ID then they were linked, but it wouldnt let me do that. Had to use another email address.

I am still waiting to hear back from ebay re the "policy violation" listing removals of mine that were part of their 'apparent' glitch. They said they'd reply 24-48hrs....several days ago.

So does that mean the security key fix tomorrow will be 'tomorrow' this week or 'tomorrow' next week????

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

Major current ebay issue

It appears to be working now ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

Major current ebay issue

This problem with signing in happens every now and then. It is not a new thing. It seems to be linked with the problem of when you go to revise a listing it asks you to sign in but then won't let you sign in. I noticed it happening over the last two days to me as well.

This is what I do to fix it:

1/ close your browser

2/ open your browser again

3/ sign out of ebay

4/ sign back in

And it will be fine. But you need to do it in that order for it to work. If you just try to sign out and then sign in it doesn't work. You need to close your browser and re-open it, and then sign out and sign in.

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

Major current ebay issue

That worked, Thanks for the info and help

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

Major current ebay issue

Only way i could post on here was to create a new ID. For some reason I thought if you had more than one ID then they were linked, but it wouldnt let me do that. Had to use another email address.

you need a different email address for each eBay ID.  You can use the one PayPal account for multiple eBay IDs.