Manipulative Listing Prices

Sellers are doing this more and more often and it's extremely irritating! Here is an example:

<removed> 

They put two or more items in the same listing that have very different prices. I often sort my searches by 'Price + Postage - lowest first' and these items appear making me think I can buy the mini figure for $1.59, but then it turns out that is for the cheaper item, the 'poster' that usually comes with the mini figure anyway. No one would need or want to buy that 'poster', the seller just includes it in that listing to trick people in to thinking that the mini figure is cheap.

This happens with a lot of different products that I search for, whether it's action figures, jewellery or something else. Is this breaking eBay rules somehow? And are other people noticing this?

eBay, please do something about this!!

Message 1 of 41
Latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

lony222
Community Member

This is Ebays Policy

Search manipulation policy

Manipulating eBay's search and browse experience by adding popular keywords in your listings that don’t have any relation to your items, or using other tactics that could mislead buyers, is not allowed.

To make sure our search results give buyers the best experience possible, it's also important to accurately describe your items, use a clear title, and list in the appropriate categories.

What is the policy?
  • Manipulating search results to gain unfair visibility of a listing is not allowed
  • Using keywords that are not directly related to the item for sale is not allowed. All the words in the listing need to be accurate and refer only to the item for sale
  • If the item is an accessory for or compatible with another item, “fits” “for” or “compatible with” should be stated before the name of the compatible item. However, “fits” “for” or “compatible with” is not allowed before the brand names of jewelry, clothing and accessories, or universally compatible items
  • Listings that make comparisons with other products are not allowed
  • Listings that promote other listings are not allowed
  • Listings can’t include keywords with question marks, as this can be misleading for buyers. If any item details are unclear or unknown, they should be left out of the listing
  • Offering a choice of different products in a single listing is not allowed. This includes:
    • Selling different brands or models in the same listing (for example, an iPhone 6 and an iPhone 7)
    • Selling different items with different conditions in the same listing (for example, “new” and “used” items)

These rules help achieve the best possible position in eBay's Best Match sort order:

• List identical items in one multi-quantity fixed price listing
  • List items with variations such as size and color in one fixed price listing with variations
  • List items that fit multiple vehicles using our parts compatibility guide.(Compatible vehicles should not be included in the listing title)
  • Significant differences between items in a listing should be highlighted in the listing title, pictures, price, condition, and item specifics, so that buyers can easily tell them apart

Listings that don’t follow these rules may be removed from the site or from search results. Other actions we may take include lowering a seller’s rating, charging additional fees, limiting buying and selling privileges, or suspending an account.

Why does eBay have this policy?

This policy helps buyers quickly find what they are looking for every time they use eBay. Clean search results improves buyer trust, increases purchasing, and results in buyers coming back to eBay for future purchases.

Message 31 of 41
Latest reply

@lony222 wrote:

This is Ebays Policy

Search manipulation policy

Manipulating eBay's search and . . . .

eBay’s policy in Nov 2019 is probably different to that which was in place when sc_freak19 started this thread way back in Oct 2013 . . . but thanks for posting snippets of the current policy anyway.

Message 32 of 41
Latest reply

That's exactly what i posted earlier as it's same as price gouging and other forms of same scam, here's an example below - 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/363880415469?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=NnPcsojjQDa...

look at the item price before touching anything $6.99, is pretty much what you get if you do a search starting with the lowest price first, but then after selecting the colour and quantity it's around 3 to 5 times more expensive. ebay's aware of it but yet chose to ignore it as most of those scammers try to respond as a buyer on these threads, stating that there's nothing wrong with doing so. this is 100% an ebay issue Not the sellers ! it's their website/business and rules. probably best to move on and stop dealing with ebay until they wake up !

Message 33 of 41
Latest reply

No scam.

It's called 'variation listings'

Creating listings with variations | eBay

Message 34 of 41
Latest reply

Dang Stawks, we must be "Hoist by our own Petard"...................

".............. as most of those scammers try to respond as a buyer on these threads, stating that there's nothing wrong with doing so............"

Oh look, someone must be using a posting ID..........

"...........That's exactly what i posted earlier............"

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 35 of 41
Latest reply

Seller in China, ebay won't touch 'em no matter how aware they are of it

The item with the price you have quoted shows as out of stock (just as an aside) 

Thread from 2013 , so nothing new, buyers still choose to support such sellers and the complain about their own poor choices 

aka : Buyers are more than welcome to stop buying from sellers with questionable practices

And no, sellers in China do not read the forum here

Nor does eBay pay anyone to respond here (another common retort when factual information is given)

(People who object to factual information, or any suggestion that a buyer check who they are buying from before buying often post such false information though )

By all means contact eBay and tell them to wake up

And it is always good when those who want to support sellers in China and then complain they are still in business threaten to stop buying

The more who stop the better

Message 36 of 41
Latest reply

You have been on Ebay over 20 years and you have never seen a "Variation Listing", what can I say

Message 37 of 41
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

Dang Stawks, we must be "Hoist by our own Petard"...................

".............. as most of those scammers try to respond as a buyer on these threads, stating that there's nothing wrong with doing so............"

Oh look, someone must be using a posting ID..........

"...........That's exactly what i posted earlier............"

I don't own a Petard, Padi.

Can I get one from a listing variation, perhaps?

Then, and only then, will l think about being hoisted.

Message 38 of 41
Latest reply

have to laugh, you are happy to buy from sellers with bad feedback ratings.

But you do realise no one (not even Ebay), is forcing you to buy from any of these sellers.

Message 39 of 41
Latest reply

Yeah, that thing they posted earlier, did'nt like the answers (aka factual information regarding eBay policy)

What can you do?

Except post on another thread and accuse the members of giving factual information of being scammers 

Message 40 of 41
Latest reply