Manipulative Listing Prices

Sellers are doing this more and more often and it's extremely irritating! Here is an example:

<removed> 

They put two or more items in the same listing that have very different prices. I often sort my searches by 'Price + Postage - lowest first' and these items appear making me think I can buy the mini figure for $1.59, but then it turns out that is for the cheaper item, the 'poster' that usually comes with the mini figure anyway. No one would need or want to buy that 'poster', the seller just includes it in that listing to trick people in to thinking that the mini figure is cheap.

This happens with a lot of different products that I search for, whether it's action figures, jewellery or something else. Is this breaking eBay rules somehow? And are other people noticing this?

eBay, please do something about this!!

Message 1 of 41
Latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

"eBay MUST know this is going on, but they are completely ignoring it."

So true. ebay won't care as long as they are getting their fees and are showing little concern for the buyers. I don't mind the concept of having multiple items, but the search result should say which of the multiple items the price applies to. I spent ages looking for an ipad cover after choosing "lowest price and postage first" (as I'm sure 99% of buyers would do) and quickly got sick of looking at $1.00 results (a stylus pen) and having to choose from two drop down boxes just to see the cover's real price ($10 upwards). If I want to search for a cover, I should not be shown a price result for a stylus.

The sellers are gaming the search system so as to be at the top of the listing and while this may not be against the rules, it is definitely not done in the spirit of fair play. I never buy from any seller that uses these dodgy multiple listings and encourage other users to do the same. ebay could fix this issue, but only if they wanted to.

Message 11 of 41
Latest reply

If you find that there is a very common item being used as the bait, just tweak the search a little. It's not ideal, but it's a simple workaround for the issue.

eg ipad cover -stylus

Using the minus symbol will mean the stylus listing price won't be in the search results.

You can also set the minimum price so that no items under $1.50 (as an example) will show. The listings with a stylus will probably show up further down the line with the actual cover price displayed. 

Message 12 of 41
Latest reply

Good points, dg, thanks.

Message 13 of 41
Latest reply

I tried your suggestion and it didn't work as there are other "cheap bait" items often included. I ended up going with

ipad air case -stylus -protector -pink

and it did quite well. The concept of refined search is useful, you just have to think carefully about the bait items and exclude them.

Is there a way to edit my previous post? I couldn't find it and had to resort to another reply.

Thanks again.

Message 14 of 41
Latest reply

dg while that might solve part of the problem it shouldn't be necessary, if I do a search of wedding dresses then that is all I should see.

I wanted to buy a case/cover for my tablet and have given up because of the number of minuses necessary to get anywhere near the item I want to look at.

If you go to plus size clothing down the right hand side is a list of all the types available and in brackets the quantity available so if i see Dresses (2800) then I should see dresses only and probably about 1500 due to choice listings making up the quantity when I click on that..

If I want "gloves with that?" then I will go to McDonalds.
Message 15 of 41
Latest reply

Hi everyone

This naughty practice of listing an el-cheapo something I don't want in the same list as with the expensive something entirely different that I do want has been looked at by eBay. They posted this upate

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/au/201311.shtml#2013-11-18162918?_trksid=p3984.m2301.l3955

***Updated: Listing policy updates on eBay.com.au***

18 November 2013 | 04:37PM EST

Further to our previous announcement about streamlining policy pages and aligning policies to other eBay sites, we've now reviewed the following policies:

• The Avoiding eBay fees policy (formerly Circumventing fees policy) has been rewritten. Some guidelines have been added regarding links that refer to, or promote, want ads and trades, payment surcharges, putting items in the wrong category and warranties. Two older policy pages (Reserve Price listing violations and Multiple listing fees avoidance) have been retired.

• The Tobacco policy has been rewritten. A number of policy requirements have been added, although these are implied (if not specifically mentioned) in the previous version of the policy.

We've also updated our policies on Accepted payments, Payment surcharges, Publishing contact information and Using eBay's intellectual property. These pages have a newer format, but no material changes to policy requirements.

We are still working on our policies. We'll let you know about further changes as they're ready.

Regards,
The eBay Team

and the Avoiding eBay fees policy link goes here  http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/listing-circumventing.html which describes the dress/gloves scenario is not allowed and the tablet case/stylus scenario is not allowed.

I went looking for this announcement after I noticed in the search that a couple of the items in my search had a range of price for the one listing, something like $1.00 to $8.99 so I looked and saw it was one of those stylus/case listings, but at least the price range was there - I can't find any more at the moment 😞  That being said, since there are still heaps of those stylus/case-esque listings, then the policies aren't doing much good.  Looks like it is up to the users to report... if we can be bothered doing it for the 50 squillion there are!

If you do choose to report, I recommend the following combo:

Report Category > Listing Practices

Reason for Report > Avoiding eBay fees
Detailed Reason > Offering Choices
   The listing has different brands of an item, a choice between two entirely different items, or items that aren't in similar condition.

I hope this annoying practice stops!
Message 16 of 41
Latest reply

@i-once-was-bump wrote:
dg while that might solve part of the problem it shouldn't be necessary, 

I agree, but I also think it's better to take a pro-active approach in regards to refining searches if some sellers are trying to work the system in their favour. It's all about getting the result you want, rather than the result the sellers want.

Sadly, while as noted the policies have been updated, they rarely - if ever - seem to apply to sellers in China, who are the biggest culprits of this sort of thing. 

Message 17 of 41
Latest reply

how has this not been fixed.

Tried to search for USB-C to USB cables and all the listings on the first page advertise it for around $1-2 but NONE of them are actually this low, in fact most of them are actually more expensive than you can get elsewhere, ended up just buying it from Kogan...
Message 18 of 41
Latest reply

Similar problem- I just had a seller doop me by listing barefoot sandals $1-$11.06 it had two drop down menus I went through all after I purchased my pair (which were $1) and the only pair that were listed as that price were a mustard yellow in an uncommon size (2-3yo)
Then, the seller quite bluntly cancelled the sale telling me they can’t afford postage?!? Also that ‘eBay ‘ keeps doing this and it’s a glitch... I don’t believe them and am very upset to be stooged by someone locally.

Does anyone know what I can do in this situation inc what to report under please?
Message 19 of 41
Latest reply

The Chinese are extra good at this.  All ebay will do (if anything) will be to report it

to ebay China, who will do nothing.

That's about it, really.  Chinese sellers are 'untouchable'

Message 20 of 41
Latest reply