My latest experience with the horrid Global Shipping which was hiding under a stone (so to speak)

Well, I haven't been here for a while and I wasn't going to come back but sadly a distasteful experience that both the seller and I have tried to rectify, stll lurks.

Prior to bidding, I contacted a U.K. based seller about an item he was selling.  The auction said nothing about Global Shipping and some past bad experiences , plus listening to the many horror stories about Global Shipping / Pitney, makes me stay away from those auctions unless I can get seller to close auction and re-start with normal AirMal postage.

Anyway, seller had item at   GBP 14.56 (approx. AU $23.99 for   Express Postage to Australia. Contacted seller and he got back to me and said he can do it for GBP 4.75, (approx AU $7.82775 for normal AirMal). Well folks, you don't need to be a mathemetician to know that seller can do it for one third. Cool !!!!! I though!!!.  I'll take 4 items and with combined postage, I doubt if I would pay any more than say GBP 9.50 aka AU $16. Most likely less than that.

Well, it wasn't to be. Apparently seller cannot
combine postage and system insists that he send each item individually via their Global Shipping programme and says he can't offer combined. Well, he's not happy about it and guess how I feel!

So if they were to be sent individually, would I have to pay 4 x GBP 14.56?. Well that would be GBP 58.24 ???? In Aust dollars that's $95.94.  Surely that can't be right, paying $95 in postage for something that would normally cost me around $14 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if this wasn't the case and I only paid a 3rd of that, as is uusually the case with small items, I'm paying 3 times too much.

What a damned nightmare!   Anyway, the seller and I are stuck.  He wants to work with me but there are other issues as well.  It never ends.

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: My latest experience with the horrid Global Shipping which was hiding under a stone (so to speak

I am not your "dear woman" thank heavens.

If you are going to buy from overseas there will be a Customs Declaration with all the relevant information on it.  There is no more and no less information on the PB declaration.

I have not had to give any information to FedEx other than the usual information needed for delivery of my items....name and address.

And guess what....I have to give that to Australian sellers as well.

If you are going to live in this modern world there is the potential for anyone you deal with to sell your details to marketing companies.

If you are so paranoid then maybe ebay is not for you, and certainly not buying from overseas.

Message 31 of 38
Latest reply

Re: My latest experience with the horrid Global Shipping which was hiding under a stone (so to speak

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I am not your "dear woman" thank heavens.

If you are going to buy from overseas there will be a Customs Declaration with all the relevant information on it.  There is no more and no less information on the PB declaration.

I'm more than happy for customes to have my details. That's the only other party besides the seller that should. Oh and Paypal if I have used that handy service to pay with.

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I have not had to give any information to FedEx other than the usual information needed for delivery of my items....name and address.

And guess what....I have to give that to Australian sellers as well.

If the name of the recipient is on the parcel then that's all that's requred.Anyway, as I mentioned, Red Ex is another handler in the chain and I was almost blackmailed into giving extra info under THREAT of having my parcel sent back to the sender.
In this instance, I had luckily (In a once in a lifetime opportunity) come across 2 ULTRA RARE unplayed / sealed video tapes. The re-packing by Pitney Bowes was pathetuic and it was a stroke of good fortune that they were not damaged in transit.

@lyndal1838 wrote:

If you are going to live in this modern world there is the potential for anyone you deal with to sell your details to marketing companies.

If you are so paranoid then maybe ebay is not for you, and certainly not buying from overseas.

What you said above is just so inane and hardly worth replying to. All I'll say is this is the kind of response I have come to expect ftrom you.

Message 32 of 38
Latest reply

4channel, when I have items sent to my US parcel forwarder, the parcels will be unpacked and the invoice/packing slip will be checked - for three reasons that I can immediately call to mind:

1. they must be sure that there are no dangerous goods. For instance, they won't even forward perfume (but my UK mail forwarder will, thankfully);
  2. they will declare the cost/value of the goods on my behalf; if no invoice, then it's my responsibility to fill in the value of each respective parcel on the page of items that have arrived at my US mail address so that the forwarding company can accurately fill out the Customs Declaration;
  3. they will check that the items are not damaged, and they will also let me know when they recommend repacking (if there's a saving on the shipping cost with repacking or if my purchase can only be transported safely after being repacked).

Thankfully, I am not buying anything embarrassing or illegal, and I don't mind if the forwarding company knows that I am buying mediaeval atlases, US Hush Puppies styles that I can't get here, a cezve, CDs of Bartoli and Jaroussky and Piau, aromatic cedar basics, long out-of-print romance & sci-fi and mystery novels from the 1960s, some Folkmanis hand puppets, hard-to-find slippers by Haflinger, Apple Pencil lightning cable adapter, Moshi iVisor screen protector, Cuisipro nylon turner for non-stick cookware, gold Milanese loop for my Apple Watch, two copies of Landmark edition of Herodotus' The Histories, Marcato Atlas pasta wheel in red, the only compression arthritis gloves that I consider worth getting for my mother, BluRay of Handel's Saul, Cooking in Europe (by the best historical chef in the UK, Ivan Day), some additions to my Wedgwood Edme dinner service, Kingston brass pedestal toilet roll holder, a Melitta porcelain coffee maker, and a partridge in a pear tree - for my most recent transactions. There would have been a Kohler Stately toilet there too, but for various reasons there wasn't. g_chortle.gif

(I have to use other methods to smuggle in my collection of rare big cats, of course...)

(Have you ever seen a margay?)

Message 33 of 38
Latest reply

marwi5023
Community Member
GSP is most definitely a rort. EBay gets their percentage of the exorbitant charges. I hate it with a passion but sometimes you have to pay to get the item you want because it just isn't available in Australia.
That's just life in the capitalist pig world. You want you pay
Message 34 of 38
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

4channel, when I have items sent to my US parcel forwarder, the parcels will be unpacked and the invoice/packing slip will be checked - for three reasons that I can immediately call to mind:

1. they must be sure that there are no dangerous goods. For instance, they won't even forward perfume (but my UK mail forwarder will, thankfully);
  2. they will declare the cost/value of the goods on my behalf; if no invoice, then it's my responsibility to fill in the value of each respective parcel on the page of items that have arrived at my US mail address so that the forwarding company can accurately fill out the Customs Declaration;
  3. they will check that the items are not damaged, and they will also let me know when they recommend repacking (if there's a saving on the shipping cost with repacking or if my purchase can only be transported safely after being repacked).

That may be so countessalmirena . But I call it just going through the motions. I believe  Pitney Bowes / Global Shipping was never set up as a service to help buyers or sellers for that matter. It may masquerade as a service to preotect sellers. I believe it's sole purpose is to make money in inserting itself into a chain where never warrented, never asked for or required. A bit like a protection racketeer or even a Chopper Reid.  Even similar to the privately owned, run Federal Reserve in the US.

BTW: The re-pcking caused irrepairable damage to a rare dvd box set. Lickily the seller had a spare and sent me replacement.  The other time ultra rare irreplaceable sealed unplayed VHS tapes were put at risk by shoddy re-packing. and the problems didn't end there either.

@countessalmirena wrote:

Thankfully, I am not buying anything embarrassing or illegal, and I don't mind if the forwarding company knows that I am buying

@countessalmirena wrote:

Thankfully, I am not buying anything embarrassing or illegal, and I don't mind if the forwarding company knows that I am buying mediaeval atlases, US Hush Puppies styles that I can't get here, a cezve, CDs of Bartoli and Jaroussky and Piau, aromatic cedar basics, long out-of-print romance & sci-fi and mystery novels from the 1960s, some Folkmanis hand puppets, hard-to-find slippers by Haflinger, Apple Pencil lightning cable adapter, Moshi iVisor screen protector, Cuisipro nylon turner for non-stick cookware, gold Milanese loop for my Apple Watch, two copies of Landmark edition of Herodotus' The Histories, Marcato Atlas pasta wheel in red, the only compression arthritis gloves that I consider worth getting for my mother, BluRay of Handel's Saul, Cooking in Europe (by the best historical chef in the UK, Ivan Day), some additions to my Wedgwood Edme dinner service, Kingston brass pedestal toilet roll holder, a Melitta porcelain coffee maker, and a partridge in a pear tree - for my most recent transactions. There would have been a Kohler Stately toilet there too, but for various reasons there wasn't. g_chortle.gif

Some nifty things you're buying.

@countessalmirena wrote:

(I have to use other methods to smuggle in my collection of rare big cats, of course...)

(Have you ever seen a margay?)

I had to look it up on youtube . I knew it was somthing like an ocelot. Didn't realise it was such a beautiful cat. Leopards are my thing actually. But I just have to settle for the average run-of-the-mill house moggy tabby.

Message 35 of 38
Latest reply

@marwi5023 wrote:
GSP is most definitely a rort. EBay gets their percentage of the exorbitant charges. I hate it with a passion but sometimes you have to pay to get the item you want because it just isn't available in Australia.
That's just life in the capitalist pig world. You want you pay

Hi marwi5023 , this is the dilemma isn't it! Do I or don't I?  There have been some items that I have really wanted but there was no way I'd pay $40 for GSP shipping when a same size and weight item from another seller is less than $10 from the UK.  The "rort" as you put it or "scam that others put it, has us over a barrel.

Message 36 of 38
Latest reply

marwi5023
Community Member
4channel, because I'm unemployed and as everyone keeps telling me it isn't my money anyway I just pay the extortionist shipping and just forget it until I receive the next instalment of not my money.
Obviously if I can avoid the GSP I will.
I never bother asking if the seller will consider more reasonable shipping because it often causes offence, especially to yanks
Message 37 of 38
Latest reply

@marwi5023 wrote:
4channel, because I'm unemployed and as everyone keeps telling me it isn't my money anyway

Hi marwi5023 , it sickens me when people judge people like you. It's your money and if you want a little indugence in your life then who the heck are these people to judge you like that ! Robot Mad   They need to get a life themselves.

@marwi5023 wrote:
 I just pay the extortionist shipping and just forget it until I receive the next instalment of not my money.
Obviously if I can avoid the GSP I will.
I never bother asking if the seller will consider more reasonable shipping because it often causes offence, especially to yanks

You hit the nail on the head with "extortionist shippingbecause that's what it is. The set-up behaves just like an extortionist.   (That's a good theme and title for another discussion)

Yes, asking even so humbly and nicely invokes a negative reaction. There's a reason why this is. It's the same reason why people who have believed a certain thing all their life react negativly when confronted with the truth. Pride is one problem.

Message 38 of 38
Latest reply