No Posting Just Pickup

Hello, I have been on this site for some time and would like someone to explain to me what it is

with these people who only allow local pickup? Why dont they just advertise in their local papers and Bulletin Boards.

It just really irks me.

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

No Posting Just Pickup

Sellers know their own limitations, re packaging and posting of items (especially breakables) so they arrive safely at other end and may choose to sell pick up only for those type of difficult to package items.

If a seller lives in a city or area with a big population, selling a pick up only item on Ebay gives them a huge number of prospective buyers.
More than a notice on the local board. Paying for newspaper ad? Not many prospective buyers may buy/read the newspapers.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

No Posting Just Pickup

Coz Ebay has a wider range than the local paper and a message on the supermarkert wall.  Ask and some will post though.

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

No Posting Just Pickup

a) greater exposure for in many cases less cost

b) consumwer choice

c) they know you don't like it and do it to annoy you

d) all of the above

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

No Posting Just Pickup

as a consumwer, I prefer listing with postage - but it's a free country, if that's they way they want to list

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

No Posting Just Pickup

Because the new p&h commission sometimes make it too difficult.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

No Posting Just Pickup

I have bought a few pick up items and been happy to, to save on postage costs.

My guess is they advertise on ebay for the exposure, there is probably a bigger audience here. Plus they don't have to pay upfront for the ad unless they sell.

Then there is the matter of the size of the item. If it is a big piece of furniture, pick up is easier. They don't expect to sell to anyone interstate, they are hoping for locals to see the ad.

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

No Posting Just Pickup

This is a topic that is dear to my heart.Thank you OP.

I live in Country SA and most of my purchases are from either Vic or NSW. I have emailed sellers who have PUO and a couple of them have obliged, but there was one recently ( yesterday) who said I can't be bothered ( or words to that effect).

Her item still has no bids and she has a starting price of $1.She sdaid that for a low cost item it was not worth her time to post. I offered her $20 for her item but still no go... Some of the items I purchase are one off's...I am so dissapointed..

I remember a few years ago selling a 9' resin statue to a fella in Vic and I had to wrap the thing in bubble wrap and paper  and arrange courier even though I had PUO in the listing.. It cost the buyer $250 to get it but he was wrapped..

People don't seem to want to go that extra step for buyers any more...

My second gripe is Au post postal price hike... I purchased 3 paper stamps yesterday and it is costing me $16 to get them delivered... I think that my online buying days are over...Bargains are no longer bargains once you add the postage cost and that's a shame as it is convenient when you live in the country..

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

No Posting Just Pickup

@peppers-tree wrote:
but there was one recently ( yesterday) who said I can't be bothered( or words to that effect)......

She sdaid that for a low cost item it was not worth her time to post. I offered her $20 for her item but still no go... Some of the items I purchase are one off's...I am so dissapointed..

I don't know what is worse - the actual missing out on the item OR copping a seller's poor attitude. How hard would it be to say in response (or even include in the listing). "Sorry but we are unable to post this item".

I have had my share of  "am unwilling to muck around going to the post office for the sum of $5"  types. Blunt, rude, no manners, no thanks for your interest but can not help at this time etc etc

For the record if I come across a seller who doesn't generally post or seems a bit hesitant I try to make things as easy as possible for them such as sending them a pre addressed prepaid satchel to send the goods back to me in (not so much ebay but gumtree and other places online). So much easier for the seller than finding time to go to PO and stand in queques!

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

No Posting Just Pickup

Is hard to post a queensize bed...

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

No Posting Just Pickup

i used to post worldwide.  now that ebay have introduced fees on the cost of posting as well,

my items are pick up only.

all buyers, please sign the petition to have the ebay fees dropped and more seller will be able to afford

to once again post worldwide.

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Australia-Seller-Release-14-1/Sign-Petition/m-p/1128423#U1128423

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply