Not able to convert with card

Since a few months ago, I have not been able to convert foreign currency with my card. The convert with card option is selected but Paypal still converts with its exhorbitant rates. I was not aware of this until I bought something expensive and wondered why the exchange rate was so poor when I got my statement. Has anyone else had this problem. I have tried Safari, Chrome and Explorer, all the same so it is not a browser issue.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

josh2202, the PayPal pages are certainly looking different of late.

I performed a search, and came up with the following:

How do I pay in a foreign currency using my credit card through PayPal?

The conversion rate appears to be accessible only through a payments page, when you're ready to pay someone in an overseas currency.

When paying in a different currency with your credit card, you have two options for the currency conversion:

• Use PayPal's conversion process: We'll complete your transaction using your card's currency.
  • Use the credit card issuer's conversion process: We'll debit the amount from your card in the currency determined by the seller.

You can see these conversion options by clicking View conversion rates on the payment page.

If PayPal performs your currency conversion, youโ€™ll be notified of the conversion rate at the time of the transaction.

If you choose to use your card issuer's currency conversion procedures, we won't know the conversion rate. You'll only see the foreign exchange rate or any additional foreign exchange fees until you receive your card statement.

If you use an American Express card, you don't have the option to use PayPal's conversion process. American Express takes care of the conversion.

I hope that helps!

(By the way, it's possible that you're underestimating the total that you pay when the conversion is performed by your card issuer/bank. Don't forget that you'll need to take into account the conversion fee in addition to the converted amount. It varies from card to card, and issuer/bank to issuer/bank.)

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks for trying to help. But it is a software bug. I have always used my card for conversion and it shows the foreign currency and conversion on my card statement. Also, ebay/paypal will show the foreign currency for payment. Now, even when you select convert with card, ebay shows the local currency and conversion rate. If you try and swith to Paypal and back to card, it crashes. A lot of people will not realise that Paypal is converting to local currency eventhough you have ticked the box. The card statement then just shows local currency because Paypal has already converted. Paypal rates are exhorbitant and they would be making a lot of money from unwitting buyers from this bug.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Josh, have you tried the obvious IT help advice?

(That is, clearing cache, deleting cookies, remove browser history, hard refresh Ctrl-F5?)

I will scrutinise what happens when I next pay a UK seller for something via PayPal.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Yes, even tried using another computer with no history. Also cannot convert with card using the phone app as well. I'm beginning to think this is a deliberate ploy by Paypal to make conversion with card extremely difficult. Paypal is like 7% more expensive with forex so makes a difference when I buy something for $1,000 and it cost $70 extra.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

There is a place in PayPal to use that function but it's a little hidden.

Just on the hop right now, no time but will search it out when I get back tonight.

image host
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Ok, appears they have hidden it even further. Hope this is what you are after.

Maybe it's what you already tried but here it is anyway.

Select the gear (settings) top right.

Select payments at the top.

Then under pre-approved payments select manage auto payments.

To the left select pre-approved payments.

A new window should pop up and choose 'set available funding' source to the right.

Next to your credit card there should be 'conversion options'.

Then select 'bill me in the currency..........etc'.

And finally submit.

Phew, I need an ale after that. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Phew, I need an ale after that. Smiley Wink

Since it's getting on towards winter, a Ceres Royal Stout perhaps?

Spoiler
It would of course compliment your blue blood Kopes........................beer-smiley.gif

none-royal-stout-bee.jpg

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Thank you kopenhagen5 for your help. Good karma to you. 

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

You're welcome Josh, hope it worked for you.

Padi, if I go from light ale to stout I'm gonna need a GPS to find my bed. (especially if I'm having a red with tonights pasta)

Or my head will just hit the keyboard.......................................................and with that probably buy 200 packs of rainbow rose seeds.

beer-cheers-smiley-emoticon.gif

image host
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply