Notified eBay of illegal items being sold - yet they are still for sale

kittie_kalixi
Community Member

I have found multiple 'buy it now' auctions of synthetic marijuana which is illegal in Australia.

These sellers are Australian; listing it as "pot pourri" and "natural incense" and shipping from Australia.

I have notified eBay several times with that annoying selection menu but months later these

sellers are still selling these items.

How do I really get eBay to listen? Or escalate this matter so that these illegal drugs are withdrawn

from the site?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Notified eBay of illegal items being sold - yet they are still for sale

Try the police.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

From what I've read, synthetic marijuana itself if not illegal. There are brands and specific chemicals used that were effectively outlawed, but that doesn't stop manufacturers from re-formulating / branding the stuff and selling it legally - say Sara Lee cup cakes and sugar was outlawed, people could still legally make them with some other sweetener and call them Sandra Dee cup cakes. 

Not condoning it, but that would explain why the listings remain.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

I imagine that the word of a single wowser member might not be taken heed of. Maybe if you report the listings to the police they might (if they agree the listings are for illegal products) get onto eBay about them.

I would ask why you are searching for synthetic marijuana?

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

kittie_kalixi
Community Member

The listings came up when I searched for pot pourri in Home & Garden. I was after dried rose petals

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Okay

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

I was after dried rose petals

Never tried to roll a spliff with rose petals, game to try though 😉

I think you will find that as happens in the UK these legal highs stay ahead of legislation by slightly changing the ingredients, the lawmakers cannot keep up with them. Nobody has to buy them and if they are not of the illegal type (and you would have to know the exact chemical composition) ebay will not remove them, especially on the say so of a member.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

E-bay is not really interested in the items that are fake or not or even illegal.

I have reported a number of sellers for selling items that are fake. Nothing was done, the poor buyers are handing over money.

E-bay is here to make money.

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Unfortunately, synthetic mary jane is legal and often sold in what I called *hippy* shops.
(I apologise now for unintentionally offending any hippies)

There was a big news story on the other night about that young kid who died from taking it. The authorities and powers to be are looking at changing legislation to making them illegal to manufacture and sell.

as far as reporting ANYTHING to Ebay... and expecting them to bat an eyelid, well GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! ;\
you would have more luck finding a needle in a haystack!

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

That was synthetic LSD. Which is a strange term as LSD is synthetic.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply