Order cancelled without a reason given

Hi eBay,

Just querying as to why a seller is able to cancel an order without a reason given, when it turns out that they were not out of stock of the item?

I received a refund which I had to wait 3 days or so to get back via PayPal, and then waited 7 days before leaving them negative feedback. When they cancelled my order I messaged them asking why they had cancelled the order without giving a reason, they never responded.

After I left negative feedback, they replied saying they wouldn't do business with someone who used abusive language against them. In the message I sent them AFTER they had cancelled my order I said f**k once as in 'f**k over your customer'. So what gives? I thought cancelling orders on buyers was a no no? Particularly ones who have been with eBay for over a decade with 100% postive feedback? How do you address this with your sellers?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Order cancelled without a reason given

And watch out as they're all here on ebay,yes angry and ready to eat 

Message 21 of 27
Latest reply

Looks like this is happening too often. I bid on an item that had starting bid of $700 or BIN $950. I won item at $756, paid within minutes of auction end, even contacted seller for some finer details to which they responded. After two days i requested post details (i had paid for express) only to receive a seller has cancelled from EBay! No reason given, which is so annoying. I have been a buyer and seller for many years, have ocasionally sold items below the price i really wanted, but have NEVER cancelled an order. I also had a similar experience on another buying platform a couple of weeks ago where the seller accepted my offer then stopped accepting my messages, fortunately i had not paid, the item is still listed at the same price! Really annoying PayPal refund still pending.

People need to take some responsibility, and EBay needs to have more respect for their buyers, cancelling a sale because they did not get enough $$ is not a good reason. Rant over.
Message 22 of 27
Latest reply

Paws, I'm certainly not defending your seller, but if they are a newish seller, they can think the BIN price is actually a reserve. They don't realise the BIN price vanishes once a bid is placed. If they are an experienced seller, then they need their butt kicked!

Message 23 of 27
Latest reply

@pawsallnaturalpantry wrote:
Looks like this is happening too often. I bid on an item that had starting bid of $700 or BIN $950. I won item at $756, paid within minutes of auction end, even contacted seller for some finer details to which they responded. After two days i requested post details (i had paid for express) only to receive a seller has cancelled from EBay! No reason given, which is so annoying. I have been a buyer and seller for many years, have ocasionally sold items below the price i really wanted, but have NEVER cancelled an order. I also had a similar experience on another buying platform a couple of weeks ago where the seller accepted my offer then stopped accepting my messages, fortunately i had not paid, the item is still listed at the same price! Really annoying PayPal refund still pending.

People need to take some responsibility, and EBay needs to have more respect for their buyers, cancelling a sale because they did not get enough $$ is not a good reason. Rant over.

Hi pawsallnaturalpantry , good to hear from you. I'm sorry to hear that you went though this. Yes, it could be a case of seller not getting enough.

Below is a C&P of a thread by ra157 and very similar to yours but in this case, the seller was claiming the item was damaged. This is a ploy that has been used by sellers not wanting to let the item go because they didn't get enough money.

@ra157  wrote:

Seller Cancels Auction Sale After Item is Paid for. / Bargains Depend entirely on Goodwill

on โ€Ž04-30-2018 01:24 AM

ra157

Last Friday I had the interesting experience of winning a Nikon 1 J3 mirrorless camera with two lenses at a very good price. I immediately paid for it with Paypal. 19 minutes after the end of the auction, the seller then cancelled the sale, citing the reason as,
I'm out of stock or the item is damaged".

Plainly she wasn't out of stock, and it strains credulity that she suddenly discovered the camera was found to be damaged within 19 minutes of my winning it. I reported the seller to Ebay.

Ebay's response included,

"I assure you that I have warned the seller and we will monitor their account to make sure that if they continue to cause bad-buyer experiences, we will take further actions which could lead to restrictions or even indefinite suspension."

As best I can see it โ€“ sellers can break their Ebay conditions and their contract with me with impunity.

Plainly, if this pattern is repeated by a frequent seller, Ebay will do something. But it appears that casual sellers never have to worry about getting what they perceive to be a dud price for their item. If they do, they can just cancel the sale and claim the item was damaged.

To make matters worse, the camera was listed as not having a charger, which I bought from another seller after winning the camera. Despite my requesting that he cancel the order, it is on its way to me, and I have paid $10.98 for a useless charger.

Anybody else had this type of  frustrating auction experience?
Regards,
Renato

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Seller-Cancels-Auction-Sale-After-Item-is-Paid-for-Bargains/...

Sellers should list the item at higher prices if they want to get what they want. Totally unfair to the buyers.

Message 24 of 27
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Paws, I'm certainly not defending your seller, but if they are a newish seller, they can think the BIN price is actually a reserve. They don't realise the BIN price vanishes once a bid is placed. If they are an experienced seller, then they need their butt kicked!

If it's the one the OP left the neg for, they've only sold that one item so definitely a newbie - and the item has not been relisted.....

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 25 of 27
Latest reply

I also had a similar experience on another buying platform a couple of weeks ago where the seller accepted my offer then stopped accepting my messages, fortunately i had not paid, the item is still listed at the same price! Really annoying PayPal refund still pending.

If you had not paid for the item why is there a paypal refund still pending?

Remarks like that rather undermine your credibility.
Message 26 of 27
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I also had a similar experience on another buying platform a couple of weeks ago where the seller accepted my offer then stopped accepting my messages, fortunately i had not paid, the item is still listed at the same price! Really annoying PayPal refund still pending.

If you had not paid for the item why is there a paypal refund still pending?

Remarks like that rather undermine your credibility.

I think the pending refund relates to the other purchase -  I won item at $756, paid within minutes of auction end

Message 27 of 27
Latest reply