Payments will not go through - Payment Gateway glitch/issues

cass2027
Community Member

Hi everyone, 

Through-out the last week, whenever I place an order or try to buy items my payments go from pending to the orders being cancelled. I keep receiving the messages: "Action required: Your payment needs to be re-sent", "Your payment didn't go through, so the order was cancelled. Please pay for this item again", and "Your payment didn't go through. Please go to your unpaid items to pay for the item again."

I have reached out to eBay's customer service team multiple times. I was informed by a member of their team: "This is a rare case scenario in which this happened that the payment has been deducted from buyer's end but not credited to the seller's account. It should not happen once again cass2027, as I have checked your eBay account and can see that your account is perfectly fine and there is no such issue which might be creating any error."

I was told this might be a temporary payment gateway glitch. But it keeps happening. I've tried different browsers and different devices and nothing is working. This is also happening when I try to purchase items from different sellers. I've also bought the same items multiple times this previous week (every 2 days) and the orders keeps failing. Can anyone help me out? 

My attempted payment method is using gift cards, which I was given. The sellers accept gift cards. I was advised by eBay's customer service team if payment gateway issues persist, to: "In that case, please try to pay through any other payment method than gift card." 

I really don't think is reasonable, especially if I have around $300 (AUD) in gift cards on my account - which I cannot use and am unable to use. 

I have bought items on eBay in the past with gift cards, and have had no issues whatsoever. In the last month I placed an order on an item (using a gift card), and the payment went through with no issues. 

Is there someone who can help me, or give me advice/suggestions? Thanks. Much appreciated. 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

UPDATE: This is going to sound really weird and bizarre, but after attempting to buy items from sellers multiple times in the last week or so, having my payments not go through and having my orders being cancelled... I finally had a payment go through! 

I had tried to pay an invoice four times in the last week, (I'm very grateful the seller is patient) each time on ebay.com.au - Earlier today, I logged into eBay.com (not the Australian version) and I finally had my payment go through and was notified my order was confirmed via email.   

I'm not quite sure why this has occurred. Every time I've tried to buy items on the Australian version of the website (ebay.com.au) my orders are cancelled and payment does go through. When I use ebay.com one of my payments has gone through. 

I believe I've found some form of solution to my problem, but will update this thread/post with any other updates. Thanks everyone for your support! 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I've never used gift cards on eBay, but is there any way you can check if they are still valid or not ?

You say you've used them in the past, do you still have credit on them if you only use part of them ?

Are they eBay gift cards or from some other entity ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

I don't know, I have never used gift cards on eBay either.

I guess you know how to use them if you used them before, but here is the eBay help page: https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/paying-items/ebay-gift-cards?id=4640

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Hi Padi, thanks for your fast reply! I've answered your questions as best as I can: 

1. Yes, the eBay gift cards are still valid. From what I can see on eBay's website, eBay gift cards only expire three years after they have been issued. 

2. I had one old gift card from about a year ago, with around $15.00 left on it, I did have credit on that one, but I'm still waiting for it to be refunded (after I used it to try to make a purchase) 

3. They are official eBay gift cards. Bought in-store from Coles, in Australia. 

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Are you sure they are not 'single use only' cards?

Meaning you have to spend all of it or forfeit the remainder.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Stawks, pretty sure those cards don’t exist anymore. Especially since March 2018 when the 3 yr valid came in.  All balances have 3 yrs. 

These days, single use means that the card can not be reloaded with funds.  It’s only a ‘single use card’ even though multiple purchases can be made up until it runs out of funds.  😊

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

cass2027
Community Member

Thanks for the comments everyone! 🙂 I'm hopeful and optimistic I can get this sorted out. I don't know what the solution is, and whether or not I should keep messaging eBay's customer service team? I would appreciate any suggestions or assistance! 

Are you sure they are not 'single use only' cards?

Meaning you have to spend all of it or forfeit the remainder.

My eBay gift cards are just like how Janeababe described them, they can be used for multiple purchases. For a quick example: If I purchase an item worth $40.00 with a $100.00 gift card, I will be left with $60.00 on my gift card. I can also use two or three gift cards to purchase an item at the same time.  I hope this helps! 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

UPDATE: This is going to sound really weird and bizarre, but after attempting to buy items from sellers multiple times in the last week or so, having my payments not go through and having my orders being cancelled... I finally had a payment go through! 

I had tried to pay an invoice four times in the last week, (I'm very grateful the seller is patient) each time on ebay.com.au - Earlier today, I logged into eBay.com (not the Australian version) and I finally had my payment go through and was notified my order was confirmed via email.   

I'm not quite sure why this has occurred. Every time I've tried to buy items on the Australian version of the website (ebay.com.au) my orders are cancelled and payment does go through. When I use ebay.com one of my payments has gone through. 

I believe I've found some form of solution to my problem, but will update this thread/post with any other updates. Thanks everyone for your support! 

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Final Update:

I can purchase items using eBay gift cards on ebay.com with no issues. I've had a few different orders confirmed in the last couple of days. Oddly, I only experience issues paying with gift cards on the Australian version of the website. 

Thanks everyone for your support! I hope this thread can help other people who may have the same problem in the future. 

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply