Postage from USA - why so expensive?

I have pretty much given up buying avything from the USA. Are their overseas postage fees really that exhorbitant at the other end? We are talking $25 - $30 for very small packages, compared to around $10 - $15 equivalent delivery method from the UK.

Message 1 of 150
Latest reply
149 REPLIES 149

local warehouse
Message 71 of 150
Latest reply

@sue27091958 wrote:
email for a price off a human much better

It's illegal to buy, swab or sell humans on eBay.....unless they are to be eaten.

Message 72 of 150
Latest reply

I recently purchased an item from America which I could not obtain anywhere else, the shipping cost was $US51.05 which I thought was a bit rich Approx. $AU68 but had no other option so just paid it however when it arrived the postage sticker said $US22.75 or approx. $AU30 so I contacted the vendor and asked why the difference and was told the extra was for handling and materials ie. a second hand box and 50c worth of bubble wrap plus a trip to the post office.
So I think maybe the shipping costs don't really reflect actual postage cost hence my feedback of "makes money from postage" wasn't appreciated as was no stars for shipping cost
I suggest others to do the same
Message 73 of 150
Latest reply

No stars does not register and will not affect the seller at all.

If you wanted to express your displeasure you should have left one star.

Message 74 of 150
Latest reply

Looks like your seller must have had the feedback removed. Or, if the seller shipped via GSP, eBay would have automatically removed it. Bit of a wasted exercise really. You can't badmouth postage if the seller uses GSP.

I also have to ask, you decided that you wanted the item bad enough that you'd pay that postage to have it, why complain about it after the fact? If you weren't happy with the cost, you shouldn't have bought it. Regardless of the cost a seller puts in for postage, if a buyer buys, they have accepted that price. Was the overall cost for the item too much? Or did it still turn out to be a bargain, even though the postage was a bit more than expected?

I'm guessing you'd complain if a seller had 2 items for sale. One item is $100 with free postage. The other is 1c with $99.99 postage. You choose to buy the second item and complain when the postage cost is only $30, even though you only paid $100 for a $100 item.

As already mentioned, not leaving a star rating doesn't hurt the seller at all. No stars doesn't mean zero stars. Even if you left 1 star, which would have hurt the seller's stars, it would have been removed when the feedback was removed.

Message 75 of 150
Latest reply

It also seems to me that sellers are listing cheap but charge high postage prices when in fact the article does not cost that much,and so they keep the excess to make up the cost for themselves.I see this trend on Ebay all the time and so do not buy from there anymore unless the article has a resonable charge. You can get things from China with free postage,so how do they do it yet its so expensive from USA.

Message 76 of 150
Latest reply

The Chinese Government heavily subsidises the postage for their ebay sellers.

Message 77 of 150
Latest reply

@terroxyboy wrote:

I have pretty much given up buying avything from the USA. Are their overseas postage fees really that exhorbitant at the other end? We are talking $25 - $30 for very small packages, compared to around $10 - $15 equivalent delivery method from the UK.

Oh man!, I hear what you say. It's a pity that there is no search feature that omits Global Shipping and only brings up sellers using USPS or the UK equivalent etc, Best thing to do terroxyboy is to ask a seller to please send the item via Fiest Class International and explain the reason why..

Message 78 of 150
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

Best thing to do terroxyboy is to ask a seller to please send the item via Fiest Class International and explain the reason why..

But only if the item is under $400 value and weighs less than 4lbs.

Please stop espousing USPS First Class International as a way to avoid using the GSP.  Many, many items are not suitable for this service and the seller would have to use one of the much more expensive USPS Priority services.

Message 79 of 150
Latest reply

Awwwwww, Lyndal, don't tell him that (again). Let him find out the hard way, which will give him something else to whinge about.

Message 80 of 150
Latest reply