Postage overcharge

I was charged $20 for postage, in the listing the seller stated that it would be posted in a box, 1940s platter hat. I was quite willing to pay the postage, item recieved and it wasn’t in a box but put into an Aus Post expandable tough bag with a bit of used bubble wrap, postage on bag $8.30. Contact seller and ask why? Get told that I’m being charged for “expenses” bubble wrap, the bag etc. I contact her again and ask why she didn’t put it in a box, was told the PO wouldn’t accept a box. She also told me in no uncertain term to “send my hat back” No, it’s not your hat, it’s mine, I paid for it and was overcharged $11.70 postage. Nowhere in the listing does she state that she charges for packing etc. I’m sick of people overcharging for postage because of “fees”. I’m not here to pay for your eBay or PayPal fees, you absorb those fees into the price of the item you’re selling, you don’t hike up the postage. Anyhoo, PayPal dispute started, eBay has been informed. The seller has just informed me that eBay and PayPal allow people to hike up postage for fees, Uhhhmmmm No they don’t 

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Postage overcharge

Foolish for any seller to grossly overchage on postage because sellers also pay fees on postage itself

Sounds like she has no idea what she is talking about and will have a 'why was I charged fees on postage' whinge when she sees the charges 

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

Postage overcharge

If I purchased something with 8.30 postage, I could expect to maybe pay 1.50 for a box or padded bag and maybe another $1-2 for pack n handling making the total no more than $12.

But to not refund at least $5-7 on the postage is simply poor customer service.

Well you have feedback to rate the transaction. (Make it factual and fair though)

image host
Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

Postage overcharge

@ljhosking wrote:

Anyhoo, PayPal dispute started,  

There are only 2 reasons for a Paypal dispute, either "item not received" or "item not as described" - neither of those cover excess postage.

In reality all you can do is in your feedback mark the seller down for postage costs and/or give them a neutral feedback. (I don't think it deserves a neg)

EDIT. G'day bear and Kopes.  I see you're roaring ahead of me now Kopes.........................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

Postage overcharge

I'm just going to put this simply - if your PayPal claim is for a postage overcharge, it will not be successful, unless the seller voluntary accepts your claims and chooses to refund themselves. 

PayPal provides the ability to open disputes for partial amounts, for things like (what the buyer believes to be) excess postage charges, but they only offer actual protection for items not as described, or items not received, and in both of those scenarios, it is all or nothing. 

I have no idea why the seller did what they did, so I am not going to comment on that, except to suggest depending on the size of the item, a box may have been cubed by Aus Post and therefore cost significantly more to post than the seller expected.  

Personal opinion - I might have been a bit disappointed to see such a large discrepancy in postage, especially when I was given to believe the (potentially fragile?) item was going to be boxed and then it turned up in a tough bag, but if the overall price was good regardless, and the item arrived in as described condition, I'm more likely to take it on the chin and move on. This is not to suggest that everyone should do as I do, rather more a statement that there are other things I'd rather put my time and energy into. 

PS - I suspect you won't like to hear this, but you kinda are here to pay for the seller's fees. I wouldn't actually put it like that myself, but literally no seller makes money / profit unless all of their expenses are covered. Out of curiosity, if you are happy to pay for those costs in the item price, is there any reason why you are not happy to pay for them in the postage cost? Is it an awareness thing? Like, if it's in the item price, you're less aware that you're covering business expenses in addition to the cost of the item? Or is there some bigger principle involved, regardless of the total you actually spend, that means you prefer to have those costs in the item price? 

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

Postage overcharge

Was it this one ?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-retro-1940s-hat-cap-feathers-velvet-pinup-rockabilly-costume-/27...

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

Postage overcharge

Ah yes, new inexperienced seller.

(Hi padi, ahead and broke) Smiley Wink

image host
Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

Postage overcharge

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Ah yes, new inexperienced seller.

(Hi padi, ahead and broke) Smiley Wink

Not sure if it is the one that I posted Kopes as the buyer is different to the OP (unless they bought on another ID) but the postage is right.

Would you like me to send you some money Kopes - I'd hate to see you starve..................eating-chocolate-bunny.gif

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

Postage overcharge

Good grief....why did I throw all mum's hats out?   I could be retired with a fortune in the bank by now.

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply