Price restrictions

brsal-6175
Community Member
I tried to list a musical instrument and was not allowed to put it at the price I wanted. I listed it lower and emailed ebay asking why I couldn't list it at the price I wanted.
The reply was - your item is listed! Watch for best result.
I questioned that and asked for an explanation, with no response. About 6 emails later I've still had no response. Any advice?
Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Price restrictions

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Was it a very expensive item?

When you are new to selling you have restrictions on the number of items you can list as well as the total value of the items you can list.

Message 2 of 39
Latest reply

Price restrictions

Listed for 5K, Lyndal.
Message 3 of 39
Latest reply

Price restrictions

Generally emails to Ebay are replied to by bots which look for keywords and reply with cut-and-paste answers.

Live chat is a little bit better - at least you're usually speaking with a person.

You would be much better off calling them, or using the "have us call you" option.
Message 4 of 39
Latest reply

Price restrictions

I can see so many things wrong with OPs listing.

Message 5 of 39
Latest reply

Price restrictions

Brsal-I can see the listing for $5000. Is that what you wanted it to show as?

As someone new to ebay, you may struggle to see anything wrong with the ad as such. There may be a couple of things you're not aware of.

It comes over as a genuine ad to me, and by most normal standards it seems a perfectly reasonable ad- but you might run into trouble with ebay. It sounds like a great idea to invite people to come and see the guitar & try it out before they commit to buy. That's a logical thing I presume any serious player/buyer would be keen to do. But ebay will frown on you exchanging addresses before someone commits to buy. 

I noticed that your ad format has a $5000 Buy it now price on it but also a big 'Make an offer' tab in blue.

In the body of your ad, you say the price is not negotiable. That is fair enough as it is your item and your right to sell it at the price you are happy at, but you probably need to set up the ad without the Make an offer tab because while it is there, some people won't read the ad properly and are just as likely to make you offers.

Message 6 of 39
Latest reply

Price restrictions

imastawka
Honored Contributor

1972 Gretsch White Falcons are going for around the $10,000 mark.

Maybe an auction starting at $5,000 may have been better?

Otherwise, as soon as someone asks for your phone number/address ebay will

jump on both of you and ban you for 7 days.

They are paranoid about 'off ebay' sales.

They must commit to buy before you can supply any info. 

Message 7 of 39
Latest reply

Price restrictions

You're right. It should be auction format starting at $5000.

It has 12 watchers so presumably it has a lot of interest and $5000 is underpriced.

I just had a brainwave (well, for meSmiley Embarassed)

I wouldn't be surprised if brsal thinks make an offer means to offer more than $5000.

If so, he could be in for a rude awakening as I imagine most regular ebayers see make an offer as an invitation to offer slightly less.

So definitely... this is an ad that should be in auction format & I think it could then go above $5000. As it is currently set up, $5000 is the most he is likely to get & that would be a shame.

Message 8 of 39
Latest reply

Price restrictions

I hope they come back to read.

Message 9 of 39
Latest reply

Price restrictions

I feel the OP could well be a good target by OS scammers with an ad like he/she has put up, hope not!!!

Message 10 of 39
Latest reply