Purchased queen size duvet, got a king

The seller has been difficult from the get go. I purchased 3 line duvets and 2 sets of linen pillow cases. I wasn’t able to purchase and wait for a combined invoice because he had as pay immediately so he said he would refund the difference in postage. I paid $65 in postage and got $20 back so I complained to him because it wouldn’t cost that much considering we are in the same state, he eventually refunded more. He was also getting what I actually purchased confused saying I purchased less than what I did. He also marked the items as sent on a Sunday! And later in a message says they will be sent via courier tomorrow meaning Monday so he lied about that.
Anyway it all arrived but a queen was a king and I get the funny suspicion he did it on purpose to annoy me. I opened an item not as described after he ignored my messages and now he is saying only option is a refund and not an exchange even though he had never sold any of these duvets in any size after mine, and he has taken all his stock off eBay.
Does anyone have any suggestions as what to do, if I return the duvet for my money back, I’ll then be stuck with the matching pillow cases. I just want what I paid for
Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I would have opened cases for the cover and pillow cases.

Then returned and gotten a refund for all the incorrect set as a whole.

image host
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Even though they were purchased seperate and not as a set?
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

yes, one is no good without the other
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@plant_hoarder wrote:
Even though they were purchased seperate and not as a set?

Yes, the set as a whole is not as described and should be returned all together unless arrangements are made with the seller.

(If they were to send the correct cover without having the incorrect returned)

image host
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

One thing I forgot to mention was I only found out it was a king size after I put it on my duvet, which means I washed it, but not used it. Am I now screwed?
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

If you washed it, you can't return it in the condition in which it came.

You may want to try negotiating with your seller, very politely, and without the mindset that he deliberately sent you the wrong size (which would have been an insane thing to do, so unless your seller has been psychiatrically analysed or is on prescription medication for a mental illness, I don't think that's at all likely).

See if the seller will give you a small-ish partial refund, and you can either give away the set to someone, or you can list it on eBay yourself (used condition, although never actually used, just unpacked and washed).

Or request return for all the items, with (higher) partial refund, considering that the seller can't sell this as a new item any longer.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I want to preface this post by clarifying that it's not an atempt to defend any of the seller's actions that have made the transaction more difficult than necessary, I just want to post information so that buyers in general might have a better understanding of some of the actions a seller can take in certain circumstances, with the disclaimer that it is general info and may or may not apply to this (or every) seller.

Marking as posted - many sellers use this function as part of their order processing, to update the progression of an order but not necessarily exclusively to indicate to the buyer that the shipping service has the package. If I have packaged an order, I mark as shipped, no matter what, because at that point I have used packaging materials, printed invoices and paid for postage, so changes to the order, or cancellations, are more difficult to deal with and incur more unrecoverable costs if changes or cancellations are made (also, if it's not marked as shipped until I get back from the post office - typically hours after I leave - and someone has asked to cancel in the interim, an answer of "too late, already shipped", then marking as shipped is likely to be interpreted as reluctance, not impossibility). Other sellers will have booked courier or Aus Post collection, so to them the package may be considered as good as shipped. 

Sellers don't get order progress / status updates that we can apply to orders that are in various stages, so marking as shipped is the only way to update an order that's at a point where a seller wants to clear it from their "awaiting shipment" page and view only orders that still require the initial stages of order processing. 

Opening requests - I understand that in this case, it got to the point where it seemed the only option, but eBay requests are not an exchange / replacement request, they are designed to be refund requests and don't cater for any other option without risk to the seller. Some sellers will still accomodate those things once a request is open, but I won't, nor will many other sellers who would be very happy to facilitate those things under any other circumstance. I only mention this to help explain why a seller (good or bad, objectively or subjectively) will only offer a refund when a request has been opened - it's because they can only offer a refund, unless they are prepared to risk their selling account. 

Did the seller accept returns? If the matching linen hasn't been opened / washed, you could request to return those under the seller's return policy. 

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

c_mount
Community Member
Give the seller so bad feedback and get a Paypal dispute going.
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

c_mount, now you're being provocative without good cause.

I'm aware that you feel badly done by (although I don't know why; I'm not familiar with your backstory), but by posting inflammatory and unhelpful comments like this, you're potentially leading innocent eBay members into mistakes that could harm their own standing with eBay or PayPal, as well as putting a seller's reputation and standing at risk - without any of us knowing whether or not the seller deserves any such thing.

Why don't you move your undoubted energies into giving genuine and helpful advice?

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply