Question About Possible Scam Seller

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Question About Possible Scam Seller

Hi all. I purchased a Sony a6300 mirrorless digital camera on the 23rd of May, paid for straight away through PayPal.
It took a couple of days for payment to go through and the seller marked it as sent on the 25th of May and also added a tracking number for UPS, UPS tracking #RV574279521CN

The thing is that they are a new seller with no ratings and while the listing description looked ok and the item seemed reasonably cheap, I thought it was fine until I checked the tracking number through UPS website. The number is not valid and UPS does not use this type of number from what I can see on their website. I messaged the seller a few days ago for the correct tracking number on the 28th of May but have had no reply. Also it says that they are based in Moldova but Shipping says from China/Hong Kong/Taiwan.

So I suspect I've been had, second in a row...

My question is do I just wait out the 6-8 weeks and go through the usual dispute to get a refund?

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Almost certainly.

A few triggers - Registered in Europe, shipping from SE Asia using a service that doesn't apply to those regions.

Second time? Maybe look at a seller's feedback and registered country BEFORE buying reasonably cheap.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Your reply doesn't help at all davewil1964 but what I will say now is this, is there grounds for me to get a refund earlier or should I just wait for about 6 weeks and go through the usual refund process through PayPal?

btw on the listing it didn't say what courier they were going to use.
Some sellers may state that they are in one country but items are actually coming from/being posted from another, usually Asia.
Being a new seller doesn't mean scammer but I can now accept that I've been scammed $350! It's not the first time and probably won't be the last. I'm only human.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Being new does not automatically mean the seller is a scammer, but the fact that a seller has no previous track record should be a warning sign to look more closely, particularly if you are purchasing an expensive item that appears to be a very good deal.

In general, you can avoid a lot of headaches by choosing to purchase only from established sellers that have recent and past positive feedback as a seller for selling items in the same category that you intend to buy. If someone is selling a dozen apple watches, but has no feedback, or only has feedback as a buyer, or only has feedback for selling dress patterns or fishing lures (actual examples I have seen), perhaps wait until they have a track record of positive feedback for selling electronics before you buy from them.

You might miss out on a good deal from a new seller once in a while, and nothing can guarantee that you won't still run into a scammer anyway, but you can avoid a lot of potential problems by choosing to do business with established sellers. Anyone can put together a listing that looks nice -- it is not hard at all to simply copy an existing listing -- but it is much harder to create a history of consistent sales and positive feedback.

If you have made a purchase from a listing that you think may be suspicious:

Rules vary by country, but typically you have to wait until the last estimated delivery date has passed to start an Item Not Received claim on eBay; if the seller is removed and eBay does not send you a message about that, and if you can no longer find the item in your Resolution Center or Help & Contact link, you can start a similar process through your PayPal account (if you used PayPal) or through your credit card or other payment source. There are various deadlines that have to be met at each stage, and you must take care not to make more than one claim about a single transaction through eBay or PayPal or your funding source at a time or your claim may be dismissed.

If the seller actually ships something (but not your item) and can provide a tracking number that shows delivery, you must file a Significantly Not As Described claim (and typically return the item), as a valid tracking number that shows delivery would cause you to lose an Item Not Received claim. There are other scams that involve shipping an item to another location in your area which can complicate matters further.

If possible bookmark the seller's feedback page so that you can monitor that to see if the seller's account has been removed from eBay, just in case the item listing disappears.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Thanks eburtonlab, I have bookmarked their feedback page.
Estimated delivery: Wed 9 Jun 2021 - Thu 29 Jul 2021.
Now you state that I should open a claim just after the last delivery date (29th July), that's well over 2 months since I payed, will I still be covered with buyer protection through PayPal? I payed with PayPal and I'm quite sure PayPal have extended their buyer protection time due to covid and the increase in online shopping sales.

The last time this happened I was still waiting to receive my item, about 3 weeks after paying and their account was removed and the item listing vanished with a message saying I needed to check my messages for further action (or something similar). I checked my messages and there was nothing from ebay which I found strange. I then opened a case for item not received, typed a brief message as to what happened and received a full refund within 24 hours. There was no message to explain what happened or what I needed to do next.

I have read about the other scams sending to a nearby location, hope it's not going to be one of those. Going by what's already happened with the transaction and the facts at hand I'm hoping it will be straight forward and painless.

I may need to come back to this thread depending on what happens next. I'm hoping they will pickup on it and do what they did to the last one. For now it's a long wait... ‌😐

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Now you state that I should open a claim just after the last delivery date (29th July), that's well over 2 months since I payed, will I still be covered with buyer protection through PayPal?

PayPal typically offers protection up to six months from an item transaction, so if you are unable to pursue a case on eBay or your eBay case is unsuccessful, you should have time to open a case with PayPal after your eBay case is closed.

You may want to check with PayPal's site directly for details, just in case rules are different in your country.

Once you open a case with PayPal, you will no longer be able to open a case with eBay about that transaction -- so be sure to try things in the correct order if at all possible.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

@fishingpal,

Your eBay MBG protection timeline is based upon Estimated Delivery Date (EDD) or Actual Delivery Date. If the item arrives (and presumably its tracking shows delivery), then that is the starting date of your 30 days, within which time any claim under the eBay Money Back Guarantee must be made. As eburtonlab has said, if something arrives, then your claim must be SNAD / INAD (Significantly Not As Described / Item Not As Described.

If the item simply does not arrive, then your claim under eBay's MBG must be made within the 30 day period beginning from the latest EDD.

You quite literally have no leeway at all, so it's best to lodge well within the timeframe. Make sure you are guided by that EDD for an eBay claim, and you should thoroughly read through the eBay Money Back Guarantee help page.

(PayPal timeframes begin from the date of the transaction itself. If it turns out that you need to lodge a PayPal claim, it must be opened within 6 months of the transaction date. As said, you cannot open a dispute both in eBay and in PayPal at the same time. As also said, you can't open an eBay dispute if you've already opened a PayPal dispute; however, the reverse is not true. That is, you CAN open a PayPal dispute if you've been unsuccessful in an eBay dispute.)

By the way, davewil's advice is important to prevent yourself from ending up in this position again. Take note of where the seller is located (by clicking onto their feedback percentage, which leads you to their profile page and shows you where the seller is registered); be wary of items listed for a price that is really too good to be true. Look at the seller's selling history. Ask on these boards. I promise you that the regular posters here are more than happy to help out by checking a listing and giving some experienced perspective on whether or not the listing is a scam.

Good luck! Please post back here with the outcome, as that helps other buyers and also helps the responders here to be sure that the processes are still giving the appropriate outcome when done in time.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

The tracking seems to be from China, ending in CN. I checked tracking sites for China as well as international tracking sites, and they can't find it either. What I find a bit weird, is that they gave you a fake tracking number from China. Why not from their country?

At this stage, I think that you can only do what other posters have suggested, that is to say wait until the last day of the estimated delivery and open a case.

I don't know if there are exceptions to the rule (waiting until the last day of the estimated delivery) if a tracking number is obviously fake. You can't really open a case, but maybe you can try talking to eBay via live chat and tell them that the tracking number is fake.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

By the way, there is a forum for China Post where you can ask if a tracking is fake and people who work for China Post can confirm whether a tracking number is fake or not and whether you have been scammed or the item has just not been scanned yet.

https://track-chinapost.com/?page_id=242

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply