Received wrong item, what do I do now?

grivia
Community Member

I bought an item on eBay. I promptly paid and waited 10 days for it to arrive from the UK. It was the wrong item, and it was from the UK. It was the only item I was expecting.

Upon notifying the seller and sending an image of the parcel, they apoligised and admitted it was their item. They've asked me to send it back. I paid $5 for postage, but in Australia it will cost around $30 to send it back. Upon letting the seller know this, all of a sudden they started being evasive and denied the item was theirs. I should also include that they sell this exact item that I wrongly received.

There are two important things to note here. The first being that the incorrect item is worth $20 more than the one I paid for. If I was out to scam them I'd have just kept it and not said anything.

The second is that if they don't want to claim ownership of the item, am I then not entitled to keep it and open a dispute because my original item did not arrive?

My biggest issue is that I do not want to spend $30 of my own money sending an item back, for them to refuse it was theirs and be left with nothing.

This is really annoying, mostly because this is the 3rd issue I've have with international sellers in the last few weeks. I feel like no matter what I do I'm going to be ruled against because of their mistake.

Thanks

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Received wrong item, what do I do now?

Have you tried the suggestions from over EIGHT years ago? Did they work? Unlikely given the number of times things have changed since this thread was relevant.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

And as you have already left negative feedback and not gone through correct procedures, probably not much you can do now unless you open a Payal dispute

Did you check the selleers FB before you purchased, it is loaded with red dots

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

I'm betting you opened a case for item not received cos you got the wrong ones.

Open a case for Item Not as Described in Paypal and do not close it until you have a full refund.

The seller may say they can't refund until you close the case.  This is not true.

Once closed you can't re-open it and you will have lost your money.

Ask ebay to step in once the case allows it.

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

Yes wrong item sent

Too expensive postage return

eBay tv ads say refund

But case closed no refunds

How dare they send wrong item then won't send correct item

Then asks for positive feedback

Crazy **bleep**

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

So much wrong with that post.

If you don't get the correct item, the case to open is Item not as Described, not Item not Received.

Judging by your feedback left for others, ebay is not the place for you to buy.

Please read this carefully -

eBay Money Back Guarantee policy | eBay

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

you know what . . . when this thread was started Julia Gillard was Prime Minister.  It truly was that long ago.  eBay MBG was not around.

You should really have started a new thread.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

Maybe follow the correct process for 2023

And not drag up a 10year old + thread to make nonsense comments

YOU do not pay return postage if the seller sent the wrong item

And don't buy from dodgy as sellers in China

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

pixie-six
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All, 

Due to the age of this thread and the information being outdated, it has now been locked. If you would like to continue this discussion, we encourage you to start a new topic for discussion! 

Thanks for keeping the community a safe and friendly place for everyone! 

Community Moderator - @pixie-six 

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply