Refund issues with dodgy seller

Hi guys

I am trying to get a refund from a seller who is supposed to have a 1 year warranty and the issue goes like this:

- Bought an Iphone 6 Plus.

-Received just an Iphone 6, got refunded $40 for getting the wrong model.

- Phone screen starts to play out, seller ask me to repair it here in Australia as the seller is in China, although the item was said to be in Australia, and he will give me back the cost of the repair, which he refunded through paypal.

-Now the phone is not working at all, I am trying to contact the seller, he is not replying so I contact Paypal.

- Paypal opens a dispute but says I can't get the full cost ( minus the initial $40 is what I am asking for) because in the transaction, he refunded me the repair cost and paypal doesn't take into account that that amount was to cover the repair.

Now it's unfair that I will lost the repair cost from the refund, is there anything else I can do? I am so upset that sellers like this can be this dodgy with almost no penalties and Ebay can't do much even though they also benefit from the transaction.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

A warranty from a Chinese seller is never going to work anyway, you're very lucky they refunded you for the original mistake and the repair.

NEVER buy electronic goods from China if you expect a warranty - go to a B & M store in australia, or a reputable online seller.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Just because it's cheap, doesn't mean you should buy it, especially from China. No doubt it's a cheap fake. An expensive lesson to learn. If you want a cheap iPhone, try Australia Post. They sell refurbished ones cheap, plus you get a real, genuine warranty.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Without knowing the precise figures I'm only guessing but if you accept an amount back from the seller it's your call what you do with it. At the end of the day the seller is only obligated to refund the total you have spent on the item, not a cent more. So if it was, for example, a $500 phone, they refunded $40 for incorrect model then $200 to cover repairs then they only owe you $260. You chose to reinvest the $200 on the phone.
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

"NEVER buy electronic goods from China if you expect a warranty"

OP mentions item location listed as Australia - it is reasonable to believe that anyone fairly new to ebay may not look beyond the information contained in the item listing.

Ebay should compensate the buyer in this instance because it is solely their policy of allowing foreign buisiness sellers to list their items as being in country that has resulted in this issue.

IMO the 'buyer beware' line should not be flippantly trundled out in every case just to cover ebay's behind.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

That is unfair because he offered to pay me back the repair cost, so when I sent him a scan of the invoice from the store he refunded me through paypal which I didn't know that then paypal wouldn't take this situation into account.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I didn't know he was in China, the item said Sydney in Australia, it was til we start communicating that I find out he was in China.
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

It is really annoying since Ebay also gets money from transactions like this but it gets to say its not their problem even though all the communication was through ebay messages.
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

You need to look at the country that the seller is registered in.....the seller can tell porkies about the item location but cannot falsify their country of registration.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply