SCAM - Chinese sellers misrepresenting item location - Equick

So here is the latest 'SCAM' many Chinese sellers are now using in their listings to convince you to buy from them as their stock is supposedly located in Australia and you will get the goods quicker.

'AU STOCK' is big and bold in their listing heading.

In fact the item is in China and they use a re-fullfilment service called Equick.cn who consolidate many sellers parcels on a daily basis and ship them to Sydney. Equick then despatch them using Australia Post from their warehouse in Botany.

Around 4-5 days after you make your purchase you finally receive the tracking advice from Australia Post, which makes you think the items are in Australia, but in fact they have not even left China.  Around 10-14 days later you finally receive the goods.

This activity is clearly misleading and a breach of eBay's 'misrepresenting item location' rules and needs to be stopped.

Message 1 of 252
Latest reply
251 REPLIES 251

This post explains the eBay and China dynamic.

Message 141 of 252
Latest reply

very interesting read thanks

Message 142 of 252
Latest reply

Misrepresentation of item location is still happening, worse than ever before, it is not right. There needs to be serious consequences to sellers who are obviously and repeatedly abusing the system. If the item is listed as in Australia, then that's where it should come from, with delivery in a matter of days, not weeks or even months. You end up paying two, three, four times as much or more than you would buying directly from a foreign seller, but still end up with the same 2-4 week waiting time, if it even arrives at all. This is a very unfair and dishonest business practice on the sellers part. Shame on eBay for not clamping down on such behaviour.
Message 144 of 252
Latest reply

@remsrems11 wrote:
Misrepresentation of item location is still happening, worse than ever before, it is not right. There needs to be serious consequences to sellers who are obviously and repeatedly abusing the system. If the item is listed as in Australia, then that's where it should come from, with delivery in a matter of days, not weeks or even months. You end up paying two, three, four times as much or more than you would buying directly from a foreign seller, but still end up with the same 2-4 week waiting time, if it even arrives at all. This is a very unfair and dishonest business practice on the sellers part. Shame on eBay for not clamping down on such behaviour.

No you don't have to put up with such a long wait for local items, not unless you let it happen. Why on earth would you pay maybe 3 or 4 times more for a product that had exactly the same estimated arrival date of maybe around 4 weeks?

One of the main advantages of buying from Australia is the much faster delivery times. I find even interstate items are rarely estimated at more than 7-10 days and local stuff, sometimes much faster (I am in a suburb of Melbourne).

Yes, ebay could do a lot more about dishonest sellers who misrepresent item location. I haven't heard of too many on this forum who like it happening. It annoys a lot of buyers. 

But you can protect yourself to some extent. Don't buy any 'Australian' item with such a long ETA, or if it has a shorter ETA and doesn't arrive in time and you suspect it is an overseas seller who has lied about the location, open an item not received claim immediately the ETA passes.

Message 145 of 252
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

Why on earth would you pay maybe 3 or 4 times more for a product that had exactly the same estimated arrival date of maybe around 4 weeks?

Sorry, I probably wasnt clear enough.

What I mean is when you buy an "Australian" item located in Chullora or Alice Springs for example, with a 4-8 day postage, and it sometimes ends up taking 2 or 3 weeks to arrive, or more. In that instance you have paid several times as much for the "Australian stock" as you would have if you bought it directly from a foreign seller who's item is honestly listed in China. That's when you end up with the same delivery time for the "Australian stock" as you do for the same item listed in China, but the China listing is far cheaper.

Obvioulsy once you're aware of these sellers you would know to open an item not received claim once the ETA passes, or not buy from them at all in the first place. That comes from experience. But in the meantime, the unaware buyer has paid $20 for a "local" item that he would have bought for $5 from China if he knew it was going to take weeks to arrive, not the estimated 4-8 days. Then the sellers attempt to offer a 30% or 50% refund or whatever and they are still making money off you.

Semantics aside, yes, eBay needs to do a lot more about dishonest sellers who misrepresent item location and any other parties involved in allowing this to happen. Also blatant education about it from eBay aimed at the buyers wouldn't hurt, rather than buyers having to learn this themselves the hard way going through it numerous times, or having to visit forums to read about it, or reporting sellers with eBay doing nothing about it...

No doubt the undercutting by these sellers also hurts legit Australian sellers.

Message 146 of 252
Latest reply

Chullora is the main Sydney AP processing centre. A convenient location for supposed Australian location.

Alice Springs ( or Darwin) aren't known for their warehousing industry.

There might be a couple of clues there.

The main one would be where the seller is registered, combined with those sorts of locations. I realise that clicking on their feedback score to see where they are registered, what negatives they've had, etc is a massive waste of precious seconds, but it might be worth the time.

Message 147 of 252
Latest reply

@remsrems11 wrote:

@springyzone wrote:

Why on earth would you pay maybe 3 or 4 times more for a product that had exactly the same estimated arrival date of maybe around 4 weeks?

Sorry, I probably wasnt clear enough.

What I mean is when you buy an "Australian" item located in Chullora or Alice Springs for example, with a 4-8 day postage, and it sometimes ends up taking 2 or 3 weeks to arrive, or more. In that instance you have paid several times as much for the "Australian stock" as you would have if you bought it directly from a foreign seller who's item is honestly listed in China. That's when you end up with the same delivery time for the "Australian stock" as you do for the same item listed in China, but the China listing is far cheaper.

Obvioulsy once you're aware of these sellers you would know to open an item not received claim once the ETA passes, or not buy from them at all in the first place. That comes from experience. But in the meantime, the unaware buyer has paid $20 for a "local" item that he would have bought for $5 from China if he knew it was going to take weeks to arrive, not the estimated 4-8 days. Then the sellers attempt to offer a 30% or 50% refund or whatever and they are still making money off you.

Semantics aside, yes, eBay needs to do a lot more about dishonest sellers who misrepresent item location and any other parties involved in allowing this to happen. Also blatant education about it from eBay aimed at the buyers wouldn't hurt, rather than buyers having to learn this themselves the hard way going through it numerous times, or having to visit forums to read about it, or reporting sellers with eBay doing nothing about it...

No doubt the undercutting by these sellers also hurts legit Australian sellers.

I agree with you that an inexperienced buyer might not realise that an item location has been misrepresented.

Not every buyer is going to think to click through to check on a seller's registration location. Most won't realise which Australian cities figure most commonly in the lies either.

They shouldn't have to. What they see in the ad when they read that opening page should be what applies.

But one thing that is in the ads is the estimated dates of arrival. That is clearly marked.

Once the estimated date of arrival has passed, I think any buyer, new or not, should at least start looking for information about terms & conditions and what they can do if they are having problems. In the "My ebay' section where the purchases are listed, there is even a tab with a drop down menu that says "I didn't receive it".

What it comes down to unfortunately is that new buyers should not be too patient. They should not wait for 4 weeks if an item was due to arrive in 4-8 days.

I have seen plenty of ads where I suspect the item location listed is an outright lie but usually i find the ETA is not a lie, it is what gives the game away, because sellers can't really afford to lie too much about when a buyer will receive a product. Too many of them would open an ebay claim.

Message 148 of 252
Latest reply

On a similar theme, I have noticed lots of asian sellers with multiple accounts.  The different accounts are all selling the same item, same price, same photo, same description. Even if there is a selection to choose from, the different "sellers" even have the same items out of stock.  

Have also noticed that they tend to limit how much stock is available. Eg. 277 sold, 2 available. Another "seller", 153 sold, 3 available.  But if I buy the remaining 3, the ad still lets me come back and buy another 3, and another 3 ad infinitum.  Not sure what the logic is behind this.

Message 149 of 252
Latest reply

@ekrabappel wrote:

Have also noticed that they tend to limit how much stock is available. Eg. 277 sold, 2 available. Another "seller", 153 sold, 3 available.  But if I buy the remaining 3, the ad still lets me come back and buy another 3, and another 3 ad infinitum.  Not sure what the logic is behind this.

Marketing. It's all about perception of availability...

Spoiler
I will not buy from Chinese eBay sellers as a general rule, with some exceptions. I am trying to ensure that what I purchase isn't adding non-biodegradable waste to the earth, and isn't made with petrochemicals... that the products I buy will last (and thus be a saving in the long run - I try to avoid products that I know have an inbuilt obsolescence, although admittedly that is in some cases not possible).  If I make these concerns important points in my buying decisions, it helps me to avoid buying inexpensive junk or falling for the old Chinese fake-from-the-same-factory routine.
Message 150 of 252
Latest reply