Saved Searches

anno250
Community Member

I have some saved searches for specific items that I look through each day . I've typed  in the search bar what I'm looking for then have it look in All Categories.

This has worked great for ages but lately I've only been getting something like 160 items listed .But if I change anything in the settings like where to search all of a sudden heaps more items show up. Also if I change the filter to best match or cheapest first I can get more items listed .

This has become annoying this started about a month ago and has effected all my saved searches.

Has anybody else had this happen?

Oh and to top if off the last few days If I try to open up any of my saved searches it'll open for a few seconds then redirect to the Ebay home page telling me how wanderfull their changes are. Every time I try and open one . Even when I get a notification by Email of something about to end and If I want to check it out I get this screen . How do you turn that off?????? Why every time?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Saved Searches

Using the "Price plus shipping: lowest first" sort order often provides "streamlined" or filtered results. Choosing a different sort order should show you all results, as should using the "show more results" link that should appear at the top of the "streamlined" results (but may not always appear).

If you have a saved search that you want to sort by "lowest first", you can add the following to your search URL to bypass the filtering:

&_blrs=recall_filtering

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Using the "Price plus shipping: lowest first" sort order often provides "streamlined" or filtered results. Choosing a different sort order should show you all results, as should using the "show more results" link that should appear at the top of the "streamlined" results (but may not always appear).

If you have a saved search that you want to sort by "lowest first", you can add the following to your search URL to bypass the filtering:

&_blrs=recall_filtering
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Thanks adding

"&_blrs=recall_filtering"

to the URL has restored my search to what it used to be .

I restore Reel to Reel tape recorders and what I've found is if I search for just Reel to reel I get one lot of hits then if I just add Tape I get heaps more and the same adding recorder. I have it set to search in All Categories where you'd think you should get the most hits but by adding Tape or Tape Recorder some times it'll take you some where else.

Its amazing how some of these search engines work sometimes you can be searching for something and you won't get s single hit or not many anyway but if you do a google search it can come back to Ebay with the exact words you have been searching for. So I try and few different words for what I'm searching for.

Ebay's not the only one with this problem . Marketplace is unreal for trying to filter out stuff your not searching for and would have to be one of the worst search engines out there . So I can't complain about Ebay's to much but when they get something that's working why change it ?

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

You are very welcome. Glad to hear that helped.

Here is something I have previously posted about why eBay's search does not simply provide all literal results that match the search keywords unless users searching specifically take steps to bypass the "smart" search features:

Two users searching using the exact same keywords may have very different ideas about what they are searching for and what results should be displayed. There is no solution that gives everyone exactly what they want, since different people want entirely different and contradictory outcomes for the same inputs.

Some users want straightforward, logically-consistent and complete results. Everything that matches the search terms, and nothing that doesn't. Lots of folks say that they want that, but the folks that really do are likely a small minority of users. Many of these are sellers that are concerned that their items are not being shown in eBay's searches otherwise. Mostly these sellers want other peoples' searches to work the way that the seller thinks benefits the seller, regardless of what potential buyers actually want.

Other users want to be able to pick up their phones, start up their apps, enter a couple of intuitive keywords and have eBay find certain things even if those listings use spelling variants or plurals, or even completely different keywords that are synonyms for the chosen keywords, without the users having to learn complex search syntax rules or having to check filter options or to choose specific categories. Those users want to type "widget" into the search and see results that are real widgets, not widget accessories, or widget plans, or widget parts, or books about widgets, or t-shirts or coins or stamps or stickers with widgets on them. Just actual widgets.

eBay's chosen search is a compromise between those two basic types of searches.

Using certain explicit search commands (quotes, exclusions, parenthetical "OR" terms) will result in a literal search for the exact keywords with no substitutions or category changes. If you want literal and complete results, try using one of those search commands when searching. But keep in mind you lose the benefit of keyword substitutions that might help you find additional results. Very few users bother to do that for every search, though they certainly can if they want literal results every time.

Simply searching using certain keywords without using any of those explicit search commands will often steer the results into a particular category, or may trigger a spelling correction or keyword substitution. Using a certain sort order (lowest first) will result in results being filtered to remove listings that eBay considers to be less likely to result in a sale, however eBay calculates that. If there are few or no results, eBay may choose to ignore some of the search keywords entirely, or to expand the search to include terms in the body of the description, even if the user searching has not requested any of that.

Ultimately eBay wants to maximize revenue, which means showing results that users are likely to purchase, even at the expense of logical consistency and completeness.

A complicated search that on average produces some reasonable results for the marginal user -- but that can also be overly complicated and sometimes fails rather spectacularly -- is preferable in eBay's eyes to an alternative search that may make more sense for users but that results in fewer total sales and ultimately makes eBay less money.

eBay may try to tinker with the keywords to avoid some obvious failures as they are identified, but the more "intuitive" search is made, the more synonyms, spelling corrections, automatic category switches that eBay has to make exceptions for, the greater the opportunity for edge cases that slip through the cracks and are not satisfied without adding yet more exceptions on top of exceptions. And pretty soon sellers are listing dolls in an industrial die machine category, because that is where search is directing buyers who search using a particular keyword.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

This has been annoying me to no end as I like to filter searches by "price plus postage: lowest first." Good to see there's a work around, but silly that it has to be done that way 

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply