Says local, but the item is in China.

stoph-88
Community Member

Its now getting to the point where you ignore where ebay says the seller is and look at the expected arrival of your item.  So many sellers say they are in Australia but you know full well they are in China.

They sell items by deception and eBay is also well aware of it.  Trust is now non existant as these lies are obvious.  How many times have you bought something here and it doesn't get posted for 7 to 10 days?  Slow to post?  Slow Auspost?  No, the seller has ordered what you ordered from his cousin in China or the seller is in fact in China and pretending to be in Australia.  Ebay is an accomplice to this deception and should be boycotted just like China should be.  If its poor quality, sold by deception and designed to cheat Western people, its most likely of Chinese manufacture and sold through places where recourse to justice is limited, like ebay.   Shame on thieves and their accomplices.  Ebay aid and abet thieves, therefore they are also thieves.  

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Says local, but the item is in China.

Interesting, sandypebbles asked for an item number and you reply this is only a heads up.  So you don't really have an item you are complaining about,  just wanting to vent for the sake of venting.  Can we have some facts where you have being impacted?

Message 11 of 37
Latest reply

stoph-88
Community Member

Its not that hard to be honest either .  I guess that is very unfashionable these days.  You lot can keep dealing with criminals if that suits you.  It doesn't suit me.  

Message 12 of 37
Latest reply

You're on ebays payroll I presume?     I would never buy from you.  

Message 13 of 37
Latest reply

@stoph-88 wrote:

You're on ebays payroll I presume?   Either that or some brand of sycophant.  Defend crooks, be regarded as a crook.  I would never buy from you.  

That is the standard reaction from newbies to the boards when they don't get the answers they want.

You've been told multiple times how to find out the seller's country of registration if you don't want to find that out, then it's your problem.

eBay does not filter out the seller's country, in searches sellers that post to Australia or have warehouses in Australia will come up on "Australia only" searches. Certainly a lot of buyers don't like that but a couple of clicks on your mouse will reveal where they actually are registered, then it's up to you whether you buy from them or not.

And no, I'm not an eBay employee or a sycophant.......................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 14 of 37
Latest reply

I agree with a lot of what you say, in that it is obviously a problem on ebay because we have a fair few people who come here to complain of being caught out, buying something they thought was from Australia but turned out to be direct from China.

As you say, sometimes the estimated date of arrival is a dead give away. If it is a month out, when it would normally only take maybe 7-10 days, you can immediately be suspicious.

The response you will always get on these boards is that you should check out where the seller is registered, as opposed to where the ad says the goods are located. And that you should check feedback. Both those things are true. But to me, the problem is that the location of the item is there in the body of the ad, whereas the registration details of the seller are not. It isn't hard to find them but it does require an extra click & search.

It would make sense, I believe, if the registration details were listed in the actual ad. So, when you saw the ad it might say: Seller is registered in China (or wherever). Item location: Sydney

That way, you'd at least know if you were supporting an overseas seller. It could be the location is correct as sometimes these people have warehouses here but all the same, I do think ebay should make the country of registration more obvious and 'in your face' and buyers could make their own decisions then about buying or not.

It's still best to have a quick look at feedback but for sure, ebay could do more to combat the deception from a few of the overseas sellers.

Message 15 of 37
Latest reply

Thanks for that.  The crux of the problem is that these crooks can open an " office" here in Australia,  probably a domestic premises, and keep no stock but rather order everything as it sells from China.   The standard lie is "there has been a delay with our courier " - the truth is, the item hasn't arrived from China yet.  I love the way certain ppl say "you should check feedback and see where the seller is registered "  great.   There's no point discussing this here as there are too many sycophants.   Its like it all perfectly fine to be deceptive if you're an ebay seller; it's up to the buyer to work out if the seller is a crook and its the buyers fault if the seller acts deceptively.   I'm quite happy to be a minority of one honest person.  The rest are very welcome to live void of morals.  Happy ebaying!  

Message 16 of 37
Latest reply

You really are a delightful little person

Clearly it is too hard for you to read feedback before you buy so you resort to name calling

Let me guess, no other buyers are leaving neg feedback for these lying sellers because those other buyers are all sycophants too

Message 17 of 37
Latest reply

@stoph-88,

The issue is not that the posters here approve of how eBay presents results supposedly filtered on supplier's country.

They don't.

It's not even that posters here approve of the facility for a seller in China, for example, to list their product location as being, e.g., Sydney, Australia.

They don't.

However, we could rant like ❝Romeo❞ Coates until the cows in crimson pantaloons come home... and it would not change eBay Management's mind about how eBay China is to be handled. If you search on these boards for the phrase just in time fulfillment, you'll see that eBay will allow items/inventory that is claimed to be in an Australian distribution warehouse (whether it is there, or already en route from China to the warehouse, or about to be despatched from China to the warehouse, or will be despatched at some point from China to the warehouse) to have the item location stated as being within Australia.

Is that misleading? You bet your little black booties that it's misleading. But please do not blame the posters on these boards for that. It isn't their decision; they are simply pragmatic about it now, because the Sturm und Drang is over and there is nothing we can do about it. We can only share information about how to spot listings where it can reasonably be established that the items are almost certainly not located in Australia.

You can complain directly to eBay. Sadly, eBay don't want to know. They not only permit this way of listing, but justify it internally. Even if you complain by quoting eBay's Item location policy, eBay will not take action against the sellers, although you'd have every reason to think that the sellers MUST surely face punishment for breaching eBay's own policy. The reason why the sellers do not face punishment is that they are registered on eBay.cn, not eBay.com.au. eBay are so desperate to maintain whatever foothold they have in China (with access to that huge marketplace) that eBay.cn have a completely different set of policies.

For Chinese eBay sellers, there are specific logistics companies who co-ordinate the shipping of sellers' items to Australia, and from there the items are sent to the respective distribution warehouses, from which the items are despatched with Australia Post tracking. It's harder than ever to tell whether the item from sent from China or from an Australian location...

Being pragmatic about eBay's position on this is not the same as being an eBay sycophant. It's also got nothing to do with being an eBay employee. The people on these boards are by and large knowledgeable, honourable, informative, helpful and trustworthy. They have to know about eBay policies and practices (which frequently change) because they need to know how to survive in a confusing and often illogical landscape. This is from the perspective of both sellers and buyers. Buyers need to know how to shop wisely on eBay; sellers need to know how to sell wisely on eBay.

You DO have to check feedback... and you DO need to check the country of registration of the seller. If you don't, you haven't used the few tools available to us as buyers to make informed choices. If you've ever in doubt about whether an item would be located here, or whether a seller is worth buying from, post here with the item number or item title, and fellow posters will check and give you facts-based advice and insight.

Message 18 of 37
Latest reply

Still waiting, with not bated breath or I would have suffocated, the finale of the kopes saga.

Message 19 of 37
Latest reply

davewil, sending you a message...

Message 20 of 37
Latest reply