Selected application of GSP by Ebay?

I've never gave GSP much thought but I'm sure I must have used it a couple of times for smaller items. I've recently been prevented from checking out an item on the basis it's restricted by IATA. The thing is I am able to checkout exactly the same item from the same country (the US in this case) from other sellers. They all use GSP.

I thought this was a glitch and queried with Ebay. Well that didn't go down well and was basically treated like a moron which is one of the worst part of dealing with Ebay reps. I'm quite sure their responses are scripted due to the circular arguments.

In short the Ebay rep claimed that Ebay decides whether to allow a purchase from a particular GSP seller based on how many hours drive away they are from another GSP seller. Mine is 8.5 hours drive.  Note the number of driving hours is important but not the distance or location. The fact the item will need to be sent by air to Australia once it has arrived at the Pitney Bowes depot or that initial transport could be by train, courier, or stork was lost on the Ebay rep. So to was the fact that the seller pays and organises initial transport to the Pitney Bowes hub. The Ebay rep tried to claim Ebay pays for that...

The rep then claimed they had a fantastic work around and they would gladly guide me. Just purchase from another GSP seller at a higher price. 

One thing I hate is being told nonsense and having my time wasted. I asked the rep to escalate the matter as a complaint. The rep claimed that Ebay doesn't have a complaints department...

The poor seller is unable to do anything. but advised they send exactly the same item to other customers overseas.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Selected application of GSP by Ebay?

Check that the item is not a restricted/prohibited import., and that it is not restricted from air transport.

You can then contact the seller and request they ship direct to you, not via GSP.

Note: if the item does get confiscated, it is your loss.

If the item is restricted from air transportation, then at this time I would give it a miss, as as far as I am aware

Australia is not accepting  Sea Mail at this time.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Thanks gutterpunk but the issue here is that Ebay is dictating which seller will be allowed to sell me this item. As mentioned the seller I was going to buy the item from sends the same item overseas but the Ebay rep stated they will not allow me to buy from this particular seller as it is a certain distance from another seller. As mentioned I can purchase the same item from other GSP sellers.  

While it is unlikely this that is a deliberate decision by Ebay (likely a glitch) it is unfair on sellers to be restricted in this way and it is unfair that Ebay directs me to purchase the same product from another seller at a higher price. In extreme cases this is considered cartel behaviour.

I have since bought the item from a third seller. As expected have not received a response to the complaint I made.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Starting to wonder if you initial seller, no longer qualifies, or has been suspended/restricted from using GSP.

Note:  such info would be considered private, and not available to you via PB/GSP, and most likely not even

known to  ebay  CS. 

The  info initially given by ebay CS,(Re  driving hrs from other sellers)  sounds like  BS.  Sellers are required to ship within their handling time  and items are required to arrive at GSP facility on time.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply