Seller Fraud

I purchased autographs from an ebay seller selling fake autographs. He has been suspended from ebay for selling fake autographs. I filed disputes to get refunds for the items I purchased from him. He swears they are real however they failed third party authentication. He obtained my email address from the paypal transaction page and has been sending me abusive emails, calling me names, demanding I return the items (I can't return them until paypal tells me to and why should I have to pay for return postage when items are fake), making threats (says he is going to come to my country and get the photos back), and using highly offensive language. I think he is simply trying to intimidate me trying to get me to close the disputes so he can keep my money. He has sent multiple emails (I have replied to none of them). I have reported him to paypal and ebay but they can do nothing. Items have to be returned at my expense otherwise I don’t get a refund. This seller then gets his fakes back at my expense and is then free scam others either by selling them privately or on another shopping website or he can probably sign up for a new ebay account. I am so frustrated. I have really lost my faith in both paypal and ebay. I am also rambling my question is this why do I have to pay the return postage when even ebay admits the items I purchased are fake?

Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Seller Fraud

Hello Helena, what an awful buying experience you have had. Just ignore the abusive emails, did you say the seller was overseas?

If so it would be a bit hard for him/her to do anything. So just keep doing what you doing, wait until the dispute process is finished. I do agree that you should not have to pay for return postage when items are fake. Have you tried ringing ebay?

Fortunately most sellers on ebay are very honest and above board, it is just such dishonest and nasty sellers as you have encountered that makes things go pear shaped.

Hang in there, and don't give up.

Message 2 of 54
Latest reply

Seller Fraud

I have really lost my faith in both paypal and ebay.

Why? Ebay can't authenticate every single item listed on their site & you DO have Paypal protection as you know.

I just hope you posted back via registered international to the address that Paypal gave you? Or did you provide Paypal with a faxed copy of a letter from a reputable dealer that states the photo's are fake?

Message 3 of 54
Latest reply

Seller Fraud

Sorry,that should read autograph not photo.

Message 4 of 54
Latest reply

Seller Fraud

Helena

Without question PayPal will refund you as the seller is deregistered. As they are fake you will not need to return the product. As for the emails have a chat to Ebay and make sure you block him via your email program.

You may need to provide PayPal with the third party authentification fail evidence, I am not sure how that goes but shouldn't be too hard

Enter into no further communication with him.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" Mahatma Gandhi
Message 5 of 54
Latest reply

Seller Fraud

Thank you for your support. In answer to a few of the questions posted yes the seller is from the US. He was already suspended from ebay before I filed any disputes so the abusive emails he is sending is directly to my personal email account (I am in the process of blocking him but it will take some time for this to come into effect).

The reason I have lost faith in ebay and paypal is not because they allowed this sale to happen. Of course I understand that ebay can't authenticate every thing listed. I have had many sucessful purchases and most sellers have been great however I had never had such a bad experience before. Niether paypal or ebay can do anything about this sellers behaviour and as I have already said I am required to send the items back (with tracking) to the seller at my expense. So not only have I been a victim of fraud but it will cost me money to return the items simply because the seller told paypal the autographs are real (even though they are proven to be fake). I thought buyer protection guarded against this but I was wrong.

I have emailed and phoned both ebay and paypal there is nothing they can do. It doesn't help that this was an international transaction.
Message 6 of 54
Latest reply

Seller Fraud

Also I have not replied to any of this sellers emails as he did not contact me through legitimate channels (and offensive) but he keeps sending emails any way.
Message 7 of 54
Latest reply

Seller Fraud

I meant I also haven't replied because the emails he sends are offensive.
Message 8 of 54
Latest reply

Seller Fraud

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Helena, please read all the posts in this thread and follow the advice. You do not have to return fakes if you can prove to paypal that they are fakes.  Usually all you do is prove to paypal that they have been destroyed which would not be difficult in this case.

If the seller is emailing your private address, just block his address...no need for anything else.

Message 9 of 54
Latest reply

Seller Fraud

OP - sorry, I would like to provide advice and support if I can, but some of your posts are a bit inconsistent - in one you indicated that were waiting for paypal advice to post back ? and in another that you are already required to post them back?

If you have opened a paypal dispute on the basis that your purchase is not authentic and provided the required documentation to prove your claim - you should not have to post them back, rather paypal will require proof such as photos, to show the items have been destroyed.

Is the issue that paypal have already decided in the sellers favour and not accepted your claim and/or supporting evidence?

I suppose I am trying to understand at what stage the paypal process is at  - and if the information you provided to paypal met their requirements regarding authenticating items, as they have quite clear policies and requirements in this area. You may be able to appeal their decision if you are able to provide additional information that meets their requirements.

Message 10 of 54
Latest reply