Seller accepted return, said they'd supplied a return label, but won't actually send one.

Hi,
Recently made a purchase from a seller who listed an item as new and never used, but failed to disclose that 2 necessary cables weren't included, rendering the item useless. They agreed to a return After I opened a case via eBay and they then notified ebay that they had sent me a return label, which I didnt get.

After a few queries they eventually said a few days later that they'd do it the next day, which proves that they lied when they originally said they'd sent me one. Next day arrives and they say they don't know how to do it, followed by a message later that night saying they'd finally sent me one, which I didn't get. They're now not answering any queries at all.

Meanwhile, eBay keeps sending me notices that I haven't used the return label yet and I need to do so as soon as possible. Contacting eBay about this doesn't help at all because I'm supposed to wait 26 days before they'll even look at the case again. In the meantime, as far as eBay is concerned I'm the one doing the wrong thing because it's assumed that if the seller says they sent me a return label to print, then they actually did send me one.... which they didn't.

Apparently the 26 day wait is so that I have time to print my non-exsitant label, then drop the item into the post, allow for transit times and also to allow for the seller to be able to check the item before they give the refund they've already agreed to. There's no option to actually contact eBay and say "Hey, they lied about sending the label, so the 26 day wait is a waste of time in this case." 

Just going to have to wait it out and ignore the constant requests by eBay to hurry up and use that label.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Seller accepted return, said they'd supplied a return label, but won't actually send one.

Contact eBay immediately, you can actually ask them to step in, I'm not sure if it was 7 days from when you open the case. don't wait for 30 days. the case might be closed because of inactivity and you'll no longer get a refund.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Contact ebay by using the call me back option in the help menu. If the seller is in Australia then they will be almost certainly sending you a click and send label which coud be in your email inbox rather than in your ebay messages. If they are overseas thhen it s doubtful if they could have sent a return label unless they were using a courier.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

had exactly the same problem, seller said return the item but lied and gave a false tracking number to ebay.

i know it was false because the number he gave just happened to belong to an unused 3 kilo satchel sitting in my cupboard. spent more on panadol than the item vwas worth so gave up in the end...

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

As already stated. eBay won't even look at it until the waiting period is done. I've tried.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

It turns out the seller is just a complete dunderhead. She contacted me the other day to say she'd sent me two labels already and that she wanted her refund back. She also gave me two Australia Post tracking numbers. After looking them up, she'd actually created and paid for two seperate labels that were both addressed with me as the destination instead of the sender, and hadn't actually sent me any of the label files to print.

I wrote detailed instructions for her with diagrams and screenshots on what she needed to do to fix the problem and also explained to her that I didn't have a refund yet so there was no point complaining that I had her money when she actually still had mine.

A couple of days later she sent a message that read, "OMG I think I've done it." and still I had no label to print. So I sent more instructions and more screenshots on how to send me the file via eBay.

Next day I get a message that says "How's that?" with an image file attached. Still wasn't any good to me though. Instead of just attaching the label image for me to print, she printed it herself, took a photograph of it, then sent me the photo of the printed label. Probably because the attachment button that eBay provides says "Attach photo", so she attached a photo of the print she made.

Further instructions have been given to her. Hopefully she still has the original file to send me. Also she paid for a label that is for an item between 500g and 1kg when the item is less than 500g.

As mentioned at the beginning of this update, she's just a complete dunderhead. Maybe she can use one of the wrongly addressed return labels to send me the correctly addressed one. I'm half expecting this to actually happen.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Wrong thread - sorry

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Looking forward to the next episode.   Seller is straight out of Keystone Cops

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply