Seller asking me to close return request

Hi All!

I recently bought an item for which the seller offers returns.  On arrival, I realised the item was not fit for purpose and I went to contact the seller about it but instead of the "contact seller" button, I saw the "request return" button and clicked that.  The seller has since replied asking for more information (not yet agreeing to a refund) and asking me to close the return request so they can "communicate with me more quickly and easily".

I don't know how this new system works yet and I'm concerned if I close the return request I may be losing my right to open an "item not as described" case later on.

What are people's thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

UPDATE:

Well, I contacted the seller and said I was sorry for having opened a request rather than just contacting them, I hadn't realised the implications, but now that it was open I couldn't close it.

I gave them all the information re the product they asked for and needed.

They wrote an epic and semi-nonsensical rant back saying they couldn't process a refund if I wouldn't close the request, and saying "we just need a little cooperation form your side".

Long story short, I discovered that after 3 days, you can escalate a request to a claim, hich I did, and within 15 minutes eBay sent me a full refund.

I don't feel bad about clicking the return button anymore, that seller was a jerk.

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks for the update OP.

The seller tried testinig you, if you had have cancelled the return request in eBay you wouldnt have been able to get your money back./

Is eBay asking you to return the item or what?

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

trebs36
Community Member

Dear all,

Much the same issue for me - I purchased and received a not working led globe and was surprised to see a return button option, seemed all too easy. Printed off the return label and shipped it back but it seems the seller left the return package at the post office for 3 days and it's still there.

When I emailed the seller he was evasive but finally said he would refund me but I needed to close my return request because "we found that your payment is now frozen due to the return request on ebay". Thanks to this community I did not close the request but went to ebay 'Help' and found out how to check the status of my return request. I clicked a take action link on the return request and was immediately advised that the case had been decided in my favor and I would be refunded in 3 days.

Yes I do realise the implications for sellers with this new refund policy that ebay is widely advertising. It must be a nightmare for sellers who are forced to refund eg if a clothing item does not fit a person.

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

MBG didn't exist when this thread was relevant. As you acknowledged when you used 'new' in a thread from 2015

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply