Seller asking me to close return request

Hi All!

I recently bought an item for which the seller offers returns.  On arrival, I realised the item was not fit for purpose and I went to contact the seller about it but instead of the "contact seller" button, I saw the "request return" button and clicked that.  The seller has since replied asking for more information (not yet agreeing to a refund) and asking me to close the return request so they can "communicate with me more quickly and easily".

I don't know how this new system works yet and I'm concerned if I close the return request I may be losing my right to open an "item not as described" case later on.

What are people's thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

go straight into your paypal and open a dispute ! Too easy !
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

If you have already initiated an ebay dispute you cannot now change to a paypal dispute.

Sorry vicadelaide, I have never done an ebay dispute so I am not much help but I would assume that it is the same as a paypal dispute in that if you close it you cannot reopen it at a later date.

Dont do anything until other posters can confirm that though.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

I have just tried that.  Paypal says I can't open a Paypal dispute now because I've opened an eBay dispute.  😞

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Do NOT close the eBay dispute in order to open a PP dispute. You'll be unable to open the PP dispute and you cannot reopen the eBay one either, once closed. The seller could be trying to trick you.
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Do not under any circumstances close the case until you have resolution. As mentioned, once it's closed, it's game over. If the seller is being difficult, he will cease all communication if you close the case. I'll put a years wages on it. He is trying to pull a swifty on you.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

@vicadelaide wrote:

Hi All!

I recently bought an item for which the seller offers returns.  On arrival, I realised the item was not fit for purpose and I went to contact the seller about it but instead of the "contact seller" button, I saw the "request return" button and clicked that.  The seller has since replied asking for more information (not yet agreeing to a refund) and asking me to close the return request so they can "communicate with me more quickly and easily".

I don't know how this new system works yet and I'm concerned if I close the return request I may be losing my right to open an "item not as described" case later on.

What are people's thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

from the seller's point of view he might be a little peeved that you selected the "return" button, instead of just emailing him.    I realise that it is the way ebay has set it up, but a straight email in the first instance would be the way to go.

However, now that the return screen has been initiated, do not close the return request.

Provide the information the seller has asked for, and it may be able to be resolved peacefully.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Yeah, as a seller myself, I realise now that I probably should have just emailed first, but it's not as though I opened a dispute... I just a saw that they offered a return and there was a "return your item" button.

I wish eBay wouldn't change things!

Alright, I'll just have to politely tell them that no, I won't be closing the request. 

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Yes, the new changes are a nightmare for sellers.    Buyers don't realise that a seller is automatically given a defect, and they are very hard to appeal.

Policy overview

Most sales go smoothly, and by following selling best practices you can increase the chances your buyer has a great experience and comes back to buy from you again.

Occasionally there may be an issue with a transaction. When certain transaction problems occur, we show them as defects in your Seller Dashboard. They're included in your transaction defect rate, which is the percentage of your transactions that have defects.

Preventing defects results in higher buyer satisfaction, more repeat customers and more sales for you.

This policy outlines when we will remove defects from your performance evaluation and any related Feedback from your Feedback profile.

Learn more about seller performance standards.

What is a defect?

A defect occurs when a part of a transaction doesn't match what the seller described or promised in the listing.

A transaction has a defect when one or more of the following occurs:

• Detailed seller rating of 1, 2 or 3 for Item as described

• Detailed seller rating of 1 for Postage time

• Negative or neutral Feedback

• Return initiated for a reason that indicates the item was not as described

• An eBay Money Back Guarantee request or PayPal Buyer Protection case opened for an item not received or an item not as described

• Transaction cancellation by the seller when the item was out of stock, or sold to another buyer

It would be much simpler if that default button was removed and replaced with the original CONTACT THE SELLER button.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

To be honest once you go down that route for first contact sellers gets a defect whether they resolved it or not. Ebay have in effect taken away a sellers incentive to provide good service.

It is easy to understand as soon as this happens it ruffles a sellers feathers.

Doesn't matter whether your issue is valid, a misunderstanding or not. Seller gets no room to work that out with you. He gets a defect and has to refund, or it goes to ebay intervention who will refund. even if you are just mistaken or even making it up.

The new system simply triggers a defensive response in sellers

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 10 of 15
Latest reply