Seller cancels purchase and relists same item 1/2 hour later

smev
Community Member

I purchased an item from a seller whose counter offer I accepted. He then proceeds to cancel the sale stating that he has lost the item which is fine.

But about 1/2 hour after the cancellation the exact same item is put back on sale.

Rang the Ebay helpdesk to report the issue and was given the run around. I insisted on speaking to the supervisor and she guided me on how to place negative feedback for the seller.

I check today and my negative feedback for the seller was removed. Called the helpdesk again and was put through to the team that looks after feedback and they said that the feedback was removed because the seller claims that the second listing was in error. (load of crock)

They also said that removed feedback cannot be reinstated as well. (another load of crock).

Sellers are able to game the system and have negative feedback removed by using loopholes in the system.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

@smev wrote:

I purchased an item from a seller whose counter offer I accepted. He then proceeds to cancel the sale stating that he has lost the item which is fine.

But about 1/2 hour after the cancellation the exact same item is put back on sale.

Rang the Ebay helpdesk to report the issue and was given the run around. I insisted on speaking to the supervisor and she guided me on how to place negative feedback for the seller.

I check today and my negative feedback for the seller was removed. Called the helpdesk again and was put through to the team that looks after feedback and they said that the feedback was removed because the seller claims that the second listing was in error. (load of crock)

They also said that removed feedback cannot be reinstated as well. (another load of crock).

Sellers are able to game the system and have negative feedback removed by using loopholes in the system.

Sorry to hear this. Not good at all. 

Keep that reply from seller. Do a page capture and send that to eBay. This seller has no right to do that to you.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Ebay doesn't care, they are only concerned about protecting the sellers. They fail to see that if the feedback system cannot be trusted, this will **bleep** off buyers.
Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Smev,  very dissapointing when it happens - especially if you really want the item!

But being so angry about removal of your neg is another matter.

Not to mention that the re - list could have been done by Ebay - read on Face book where someone said exactly the same thing: 

They have cancelled transaction and Ebay automatically relisted it, seller only found out by accident, otherwise it could have just sat there and maybe sold again!

What is the price on the new listing? Much higher than yours?

If so, maybe it was done on purpose, but still - why do you care so much about leaving and then seeing it removed negative f/back?

That was always a great mystery to me -  the only time I would even consider doing the same is if the seller is a thief, takes your money and then vanishes with it.  Which is almost impossible to do - due to so much buyer protection in place.

These days, it's mostly other way around - buyers steal (or as good as) and keep getting away with it.

So just relax, it's not the end of the world, your neg was gone - no big deal, no one reads them anyway. 

Did you seriously think that had it stayed everyone would go: OMG, what a horrible seller, I'll never buy anything of them again!

You know, as well as all of us that is never the case!

The only thing those negs achieve is to make the neg giver feel "vindicated" and self satisfied in the mistaken belief they have somehow punished the seller.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

@smev wrote:
Ebay doesn't care, they are only concerned about protecting the sellers. They fail to see that if the feedback system cannot be trusted, this will **bleep** off buyers.

It would certainly seem that way. Yes, they need to get back to being what they were 12 years ago. Back in the good old days, eBay was a gas. Now sellers are mucking people about and getting away with it. And to make things worse, we have this horrid Pitney Bowes Global Shipping scam. I'm just hanging on for a bit longer I suppose. I'd like to be optomistic but seeing your situation, I am starting to lose faith somewhat.

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

So what is the point of having the feedback system if it is not policed and can be gamed?
Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

smev, what do you mean "when f/back is not policed"?

Policed by whom?

Ebay doesn't really read them,  they will only act if someone reports the inaccurate/unjust f/back and upon checking finds there is a good reason to remove it. Or not.

As they have removed yours they must have been satisfied somehow that the re list was indeed a mistake - and if that was the case you yourself wouldn't want to be a party to something that is to detriment to someone else - surely?

Also, can't be sure (I don't know how Ebay rationalize anything), but it could have dependend what words you have actually used to show the world how upset you were.

Also, very curious, why didn't you buy it again, when you saw it was relisted?

That woukl have been the most natural and normal action - that would have told you and the seller if the relist was a mistake.

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

I didn't buy it again because it would have meant buying it at the original listed price instead of the lower counteroffer.
Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Sorry smev, I am an idiot for not  asking properly - I meant go the whole hog, make an offer, see what counter offer you get, or get a message to say it's a mistake.

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

@smev wrote:
I didn't buy it again because it would have meant buying it at the original listed price instead of the lower counteroffer.

Hi smev, If I were in your shoes (Yes I know you left a neg and it was removed), I would contact the seller and ask them to please do the honourable thing, do what's right and honour the purchase. Because you made an offer, the seller gave a counter offer which was .accepted. The seller must, they must do the right thing by you!

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply