Seller cancels purchase and relists same item 1/2 hour later

smev
Community Member

I purchased an item from a seller whose counter offer I accepted. He then proceeds to cancel the sale stating that he has lost the item which is fine.

But about 1/2 hour after the cancellation the exact same item is put back on sale.

Rang the Ebay helpdesk to report the issue and was given the run around. I insisted on speaking to the supervisor and she guided me on how to place negative feedback for the seller.

I check today and my negative feedback for the seller was removed. Called the helpdesk again and was put through to the team that looks after feedback and they said that the feedback was removed because the seller claims that the second listing was in error. (load of crock)

They also said that removed feedback cannot be reinstated as well. (another load of crock).

Sellers are able to game the system and have negative feedback removed by using loopholes in the system.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

@4channel wrote:

@smev wrote:
I didn't buy it again because it would have meant buying it at the original listed price instead of the lower counteroffer.

Hi smev, If I were in your shoes (Yes I know you left a neg and it was removed), I would contact the seller and ask them to please do the honourable thing, do what's right and honour the purchase. Because you made an offer, the seller gave a counter offer which was .accepted. The seller must, they must do the right thing by you!

4channel, the seller has told the OP that the counter offer was a typo - and presumably was well below what they wanted for the item.

It also appears that eBay has backed the seller in this instance, which in itself is unusual.

The OP hasn't told us what offer they made, but reading between the lines I think it might have been a pretty low offer that the seller wasn't interested in accepting. 

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

@4channel wrote:

@smev wrote:
I didn't buy it again because it would have meant buying it at the original listed price instead of the lower counteroffer.

Hi smev, If I were in your shoes (Yes I know you left a neg and it was removed), I would contact the seller and ask them to please do the honourable thing, do what's right and honour the purchase. Because you made an offer, the seller gave a counter offer which was .accepted. The seller must, they must do the right thing by you!

4channel, the seller has told the OP that the counter offer was a typo - and presumably was well below what they wanted for the item.

It also appears that eBay has backed the seller in this instance, which in itself is unusual.

The OP hasn't told us what offer they made, but reading between the lines I think it might have been a pretty low offer that the seller wasn't interested in accepting. 

Well Padi, the OP seems to think the seller's story is a crock, I think it's highly likely the seller made a counter offer which would be above the original offer and then had second thoughts. What the seller said to the OP and what the truth is can be two totally different things!

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

Well Padi, the OP seems to think the seller's story is a crock, I think it's highly likely the seller made a counter offer which would be above the original offer and then had second thoughts. What the seller said to the OP and what the truth is can be two totally different things!

All I can say is this 4channel, the OP has stated this bit for the relist :-

"Called the helpdesk again and was put through to the team that looks after feedback and they said that the feedback was removed because the seller claims that the second listing was in error. (load of crock)"

fixnwear pointed out this salient fact :-

"Not to mention that the re - list could have been done by Ebay - read on Face book where someone said exactly the same thing: 

They have cancelled transaction and Ebay automatically relisted it, seller only found out by accident, otherwise it could have just sat there and maybe sold again!"

Given the possibility of the item being genuinly lost and fixnwear's hypothisis being true, then the seller has done no wrong.

If however there was a typo in the counteroffer to the OP's (possibly lowball) original offer then I don't see any wrongdoing there either. We don't know if the seller was inexperienced - and eBay can be a minefield for them - since the OP hasn't provided that detail.

Certainly the seller shouldn't have said the item was lost if it wasn't - but we simply do not know if that is a fact or not - and to try and crucify the seller without knowing the facts is simply wrong. 

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

Padi, look at whom you are replying to

Of course the only possible explaination is this seller is 100% a lair and a scammer. Just like all sellers are 

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

"Cherry-picking" can be a problem as well bear, but as I said we don't know the full story and really it's just a "he said/she said" situation. But even if the seller does still have the original item, there's no way they'd sell to the OP after already copping a neg from them (even if they're not on the seller's BBL.).  

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

@4channel wrote:

All I can say is this 4channel, the OP has stated this bit for the relist :-

"Called the helpdesk again and was put through to the team that looks after feedback and they said that the feedback was removed because the seller claims that the second listing was in error. (load of crock)"

fixnwear pointed out this salient fact :-

"Not to mention that the re - list could have been done by Ebay - read on Face book where someone said exactly the same thing: 

They have cancelled transaction and Ebay automatically relisted it, seller only found out by accident, otherwise it could have just sat there and maybe sold again!"

Given the possibility of the item being genuinly lost and fixnwear's hypothisis being true, then the seller has done no wrong.

If however there was a typo in the counteroffer to the OP's (possibly lowball) original offer then I don't see any wrongdoing there either. We don't know if the seller was inexperienced - and eBay can be a minefield for them - since the OP hasn't provided that detail.

Certainly the seller shouldn't have said the item was lost if it wasn't - but we simply do not know if that is a fact or not - and to try and crucify the seller without knowing the facts is simply wrong. 

As you say, yes it could be a possibility. Anyway, who knows. Well, there's no crucification of the seller here on in any other dimension.I guess we'll have to find out how long the seller has been in operation for. Fair enough! 

Please keep in mind that there is a dishonest practice of sellers being unhappy about lo-bid auctions and coming up with barely believable stories about items being damaged and they can't supply etc. We've seen a few examples discussed here. I would like to think that the seller is not resorting to that game. One way to know more and get a better insight is to find out what kind of apology the seller issued to the OP in the beginning.

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

You really need to remember what you post.

Whilst this -  I think it's highly likely the seller made a counter offer which would be above the original offer and then had second thoughts - might not be crucifixion, it certainly smacks of having the hammer, nails and cross ready.

And is unsupported by any information given by the OP.

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Whilst this I think it's highly likely the seller made a counter offer which would be above the original offer and then had second thoughts - might not be crucifixion, it certainly smacks of having the hammer, nails and cross ready.

What are you on about?

No nails here sir.

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

As you say, yes it could be a possibility. Anyway, who knows. Well, there's no crucification of the seller here on in any other dimension.I guess we'll have to find out how long the seller has been in operation for.Fair enough! 

Why?  How does this help?  If they've been selling for 10 years or 10 days, what difference does it make?

Please keep in mind that there is a dishonest practice of sellers being unhappy about lo-bid auctions and coming up with barely believable stories about items being damaged and they can't supply etc. We've seen a few examples discussed here. I would like to think that the seller is not resorting to that game. One way to know more and get a better insight is to find out what kind of apology the seller issued to the OP in the beginning.

Agan....why?  How does this help?   Why do you need insight?

Bottom line - OP needs to move on.  

Seller's not selling, and there it is.

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

Whilst this I think it's highly likely the seller made a counter offer which would be above the original offer and then had second thoughts - might not be crucifixion, it certainly smacks of having the hammer, nails and cross ready.

What are you on about?

No nails here sir.

1. I'm not an officer.

2. Well, there's no crucification of the seller here. Given the context I assumed you meant crucifixion, whcich involves very big nails.

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply