Seller forced me to delete my account

It is very disappointing that eBay was not able/willing to intervene between me and a seller.  I had returned a purchase because of sub-standard quality. I followed this up with a negative but honest review supported with pictures.  After that hell broke lose and I received emails from seller EVERY day asking me to revert my review to a positive one. I never responded to those emails as I considered the case closed.  Then she started offering me money for a positive review, and that amount increased every week. I still didn't respond.  instead I called the eBay help chat line.  They said that because the case is closed they can't do anything to this harassment (???) So the harassment kept going until I decided to close my account and use another account.  This is very unhelpful eBay! 

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

eBay do not read here

Why did'nt you report the seller for feedback extortion? 

Or block the person from emailing  you (which they are not allowed to do anyway)?

Nor is closing your other account going to stop them sending you emails

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

That's what I did using online chat. But no success.  I looked at any other way of contacting eBay but the "help" pages keep you going around in circles and you're back to square 1. If I were a seller that's a different story. There are many ways to complain as a seller, but not as a buyer. The same applies to blocking. A seller can easy block a buyer, but I have no idea how to block a seller  being a customer.    

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

I am not sure where you get the idea about there being many ways to complain as a seller

Buyers have all the rights 

Even if there were many ways to complain as a seller, eBay sides with the buyer 99% of the time

Chat is the only option for everyone at the moment, nothing else is available due to Covid and it has been that way for well over a year

Did you point out to the chat agent it is against eBay's own policy?

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/feedback-policies/feedback-extortion-policy?id=4230

Did you include the harassing emails in chat?

Did you ask to be put on to someone else/ higher up? or try again?

Obviously the agent you got just decided it was 'too hard'

You said the seller was emailing you, so you block them in your email account

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

How hard is it?

Report an issue with a seller | eBay

When you spoke to ebay, did you use the account that was having the trouble, or a different one?

They can read the messages in your account, as long as you didn't delete them.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Yes, I did use the said account and the agent said he could read the emails sent to me. But he also said that since the case was closed (item was returned, refund was paid) there was nothing he could do other then send a warning for a breach of policies, but it never stopped anything so I closed the account.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

@thvi-5504 wrote:

Yes, I did use the said account and the agent said he could read the emails sent to me. But he also said that since the case was closed (item was returned, refund was paid) there was nothing he could do other then send a warning for a breach of policies, but it never stopped anything so I closed the account.

Except you can't close an account for 6 months after the last activity (I think it's 6 months, someone else should be able to confirm). I know they are the seller, but if you put them on your blocked buyer list, and fill out buyer requirements, specifically not allowing blocked buyers to contact you, once it's 8 weeks from the transaction, she'll no longer be able to contact you.

Unfortunately, until then, you just have to ignore, and/or report messages. I wouldn't be throwing your old account away, especially if you have a reasonable amount of feedback.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Just ignore the sellers messages. If they are sending them to your actual email, you can block them. Eventually the seller will get tired of trying to get a response.

Also, this is one of the reasons to have a post office box (if you don't already have one).

Many people do not want anyone knowing their physical address, so a PO box is a good option for anonymity.

I wouldn't bother closing my account just because of a random seller.

I had a look at your feedback and didn't see any negatives that were left, unless you have a different account?

You can add the seller to your Blocked Buyers list- it's very easy to do. It doesn't matter whether the person is a buyer or seller - if you put their ID on the list they cannot do anything.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

I''m confused why you think having a Post Office box will help in this situation.  Last time I checked emails and Ebay messages didnt go via Australia post.   They go via the internet,  we would be in a poor state if we relied on Australia Post to deliver emails.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

The OP was the buyer

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply