Seller has no transaction history, should I be concerned?

I won the bid on a vitamix, but haven’t yet paid as I’m waiting for the seller to respond to a msg asking for a couple more photos of the item to be sure it’s legit. I probably should have done this before bidding, but it was an impulse bidding war 😕

I’m concerned because the seller has no transaction history & hasn’t yet replied  so now I’m thinking I’m being set up for a scam somehow. 

Anyone dealt with something similar?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@eol-products wrote:

Just look at sold auctions for this item  vitamix

Thanks, I never thought of that as I would have assumed there were too many sales of that brand to pinpoint the exact one.

But I think I have it, about 6 down, located in NSW?

Fiddledidee, I think the ad is probably genuine. That would be my gut feel because of the other items being sold (the bed sale gave me a laugh. All the people who sleep in her bed comment on how comfy it is). Mostly I would feel okay about the sale as it offers pick up.

I don't feel as if you need a lot more photos but I do feel she was a bit cheeky putting in photo 2 as that is a stock photo & not even exactly the same, it is the current model not the one you are buying. It would be more useful for you to know exactly how old this one is.

So it is up to you. It looks okay but she could definitely have done better with both number of photos & description.  I think it would be alright though, I think she's a genuine seller.

You could pay and if it has faults not mentioned, then you could open an ebay claim.

Or if you really have cold feet, just don't pay.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

We all started with no transaction history once,  you did as well,  should we be worried about dealing with you.

As you pointed out yourself,  you should have asked for more photo's before you purchased.  Cough up the money and dont do the wrong thing. 

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

I thought this was a community forum to share any potential issues and to see if anyone had some helpful advice.

This seller has had an account for years yet no history, sure could be legit, but also there are plenty of scams going,  that’s why I’m reaching out. 

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

@fiddledidee wrote:

Ha. I’m not a bad buyer. 

I thought this was a community forum to share any potential issues and to see if anyone had some helpful advice.

This seller has had an account for years yet no history, sure could be legit, but also there are plenty of scams going,  that’s why I’m reaching out. 

If you had doubts you should have voiced them before bidding

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

I can see the item you bid on, but I can't see why you need more photos, the ones in the listing seem to be good enough.

Just pay up. and if things go sideways you've got the MBG for buyer protection.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

I will wait for a reply from the seller. 

I normally pay for items immediately, but something seems not quite right here.

As a seller I would want to ensure the buyers confidence and would send a msg back, it’s a simple request. 

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

@fiddledidee wrote:

I will wait for a reply from the seller. 

I normally pay for items immediately, but something seems not quite right here.

As a seller I would want to ensure the buyers confidence and would send a msg back, it’s a simple request. 

As has already been said, the time to ask questions was before you started bidding.

As it stands now, you have 4 days to pay or the seller is likely to open a Non-paying bidders dispute against you - and you'll suffer the consequences if you don't pay them.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

The seller could well be thinking something is not right on your end either, and very rightly so

The seller had no feedback as a seller when you bought from them

The photos were shown

If you had questions, or wanted more phones, as said (and I will say again because you don't seem to believe it, you should have asked for those before buying

No wonder the seller is'nt responding 

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

@fiddledidee wrote:

I think a mod has removed the details. I'd love to see the item number and then I'd have a clearer picture of what the ad was like.

I am afraid I would find it suspicious if a person had an account for years and had absolutely no history as either a buyer or seller. I might still buy from such a person but only on a pick up item.

I have seen what i believe to be ebay scams in the past for Thermomix. With those, they are new sellers (always some new ID, the state differs too) offering brand new Thermies in a box for about $700. That includes delivery.

A vitamix isn't a cheap item. Was it a new one being offered or a second hand one?

If it was second hand and if pick up was offered as an option as well as postage, then it may be genuine, just a homeowner getting rid of stuff.

But it does concern me that you have not received a reply to your message. Yes, you should have asked for more photos before bidding. 

If you are not feeling right about this transaction, if you are worried about paying etc, write to the seller and ask if you can have a cancellation. Just apologise and say you have changed your mind.

In any case, whether the seller replies or not to that, you don't have to pay. No one can force you to. It is true that a seller can then put in a claim to ebay for a refund of their fees, on the basis you did not pay. This will give you a totally invisible strike. No one can see it, not you, not other sellers etc

It won't affect you in any way. Not unless you get a second strike again sometime soon. Once you get 2 strikes, some sellers set their accounts so that people with 2 strikes are blocked from bidding. Your strike drops off after a year. I think that's the case.

So if you're overly worried, just don't pay, cop the strike if you get one, but just be careful not to fall into the trap again.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Just look at sold auctions for this item  vitamix

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply