Seller needs my phone # and wants me to send it to them by message??

terpar01
Community Member

I have purchased many items on eBay and for the very first time ever a seller messaged me today and asked me to give them my phone# so they can ship out my item. My phone # is listed with my address on my acct payment info so why do I need to give this seller my phone # by message? No seller has ever asked me for my phone # before and I have been making purchases on eBay for many years. Does anyone know why & if I should message this seller my phone #?? Thanks

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Seller needs my phone # and wants me to send it to them by message??

A lot of couriers require a phone number of the recipient, so yes it's a valid request by the seller, also they may not be able to see your phone number in their postage details for some reason.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Exactly what I need to know. Thank you for the info.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

No worries, glad to help you.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I've had sellers ask me for my phone number for the same reason, and I've politely explained my number is not needed for a delivery to be made, and I wouldn't be providing it. I'm yet to have someone insist.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I have found some courier services will not allow you to book without a phone number for the recipient. I suppose any would do as long as they did not need to use it if a problem with delivery occured.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I had this happen to me, a few years back. I rang eBay to ask about it, and they advised that it was not out of the ordinary. I think Sellers all get my phone number now, as parcels often arrive with my phone number on it. I feel it is an extra level of protection for me, if the parcel goes astray, as the Post Office can contact me using it. I get the phone numbers for everyone who buys from me when I print a a postage label, good to have if there is a communication problem via eBay messages. I recently received a parcel, signed for it and actually opened it, and then discovered that it was my address, but had someone else's name on it. It had a phone number which I rang and lady who lived up around the corner was most happy to receive it. I felt terrible about opening it, but as I was expecting parcels myself, she understood. In the past I have had things delivered with no clue as to who they belonged to and no immediate neighbours knew, so it had to be returned to the sender. I think it is better to have a phone number than not on parcels for this reason. I would be one of the most security conscious people around, very aware to be careful what you put into a computer, but in this case, I see no problem. My name and number is listed in the phone book, physical and online, so available to anyone who wants to look for it anyway.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Just an added note. I buy from several online Businesses  and they all insist on a phone number. JB Hi Fi for one, the payment will not go through until you add your phone number.  Myer and Target, the same, as well as many others, too numerous to mention here. I cannot think of anyone who has not asked for a phone number.  As I said before, I see no problem with this. 

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

For sake of simplicity and to fill in the obligatory information on courier bookings  I just put in my mobile number

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply