Seller refused to refund return shipping fee, by providing fraudulent return postage label via eBay.

maryxian89
Community Member
  1. On 4 April 2018, the Seller (located in USA) sold a fake Shiseido face cream at US$79.94 to me on eBay.

2. Seller deliberately entered a fake Tracking Number (UA146569825AU) on eBay.

3. On 18 April 2018, the Seller deliberately provided a fraudulent return postage label via eBay, included fake Tracking, wrong seller address, "Value of goods" too low (about 27%), and wrong Description of Goods "Face cram".

4. On 19 April 2018, the Seller violated the eBay policies, and twice demanded me (the buyer) to pay for the return shipping fees for the fake Shiseido face cream.

5. On 23 April 2018, eBay demanded me to send the item back to the Seller before 25 Apr 2018.

6. On 3 May 2018, Seller refused to refund the return shipping fee, after received the item I returned.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Seller refused to refund return shipping fee, by providing fraudulent return postage label via eBay.

For some one who is apparently a wizz on policies,  Then you are obviously aware that this is a public forum, not ebay, and you have breached the rules by naming the seller, which could amount to defamation leaving both yourself and the forum owners liable.  I am

sure a moderator will be along shortly to correct your error.  As for the rest of your rant,  Fake goods, fake tracking numbers, fake

return post label, fake address, and you are still told by ebay to return the goods, just perhaps you dont know what you are doing.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Interesting to note ebay demanded the goods be mailed back to the seller

I thought it was against the law to mail back counterfeit  items

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

How did you expect the seller to provide a return postage label when they are in the USA?  That is a service for Australian sellers who use Australia Post.

If you had written confirmation of the item being a fake from an authorised reseller or agent for the item you would not have had to return the item.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

@enigmabear wrote:

Interesting to note ebay demanded the goods be mailed back to the seller

I thought it was against the law to mail back counterfeit  items

Touche.  ( French for froot loops).   The most probable explanation for the discrepancy in value, imported into Australia Declared value is in $AU,  whilst sending back to USA is declared as $US,  so about 27% sounds right.  If ebay told OP to send the item back  and did not state it would be at the sellers cost,  then OP is liable for the return post and possibly original post as well.  I had one

recently where buyer claimed not as described,  ebay agreed that item was exactly as described and advised buyer that they could

return the item at their cost for a refund of item price only, buyer then decided to keep the item

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

@maryxian89,

1. The Shiseido face cream might be fake; it's certainly possible. (You should not mention the seller's details including user name. As mentioned, that is against the Community policies.) However, in order to prove that it is fake, you must present evidence. Have you been to a Shiseido rep here in Australia to request a statement on letterhead from them that it is fake, as Lyndal suggested? If you have, then you're home and dry. If you haven't, then base your complaint on the face cream as looking different to the photo in the listing, or different from the description. You can say "I suspect it's fake based on the difference between what it looks like and how it was listed", but unless you're an expert, your opinion will not count as evidence.
  2. You say the seller "deliberately entered a fake tracking number". It is an Australia Post number, but it's not a trackable number. It could be either Registered Post International or International Economy (Air and Sea). Unless you have contacted Australia Post by phone or email and have been informed that the number is a fake tracking number, you should really not be saying that it was a fake tracking number. Moreover, to say that the seller "deliberately" entered a fake tracking number calls for your being privy to what another person was thinking or feeling, and this is not possible. HAVE you contacted Australia Post? Perhaps phone AP tomorrow before you follow up with eBay, to ensure you have the facts to hand. However, it's not an important point if you're following up now with eBay, because you did receive the item. The IMPORTANT issue now is that you are out the cost of return postage.
  3. You say the seller "deliberately provided a fraudulent return postage label", etc. As has already been said, the seller is not an Australian seller, and cannot send you a return postage label for Australia Post. There seems to be some miscommunication here. You also say there was a wrong seller address (how would you know that it's wrong?) and wrong description of goods (but surely it's clear that "face cram" is simply a mis-spelling of "face cream"?). What you mention about the value of goods being too low is another matter and I certainly agree with you that this is an issue. But if you're going to follow up with eBay to seek further resoltuion, this (point 3) is irrelevant. Don't divert from the main point if you want the best chance of a good outcome.
  4. You say that the seller demanded that you pay the return shipping fees; that would certainly be unfair and against eBay policies in the case of an item being significantly not as described. This is an important point. Make sure you can provide evidence of this; if the seller said this in the Resolution Centre or in eBay messages, eBay can check this when you contact them.
  5. You say that eBay instructed you to send back the item to the seller, it doesn't seem as though you communicated clearly and effectively throughout the process. Did you speak to eBay on the phone, explaining that the item was fake and furthermore that the seller had wanted you to pay return postage and that the postage label provided was fake, because the seller was the US? Had you spoken politely and clearly with eBay, you may well have found that the dispute would have been closed in your favour without the need to return the item. In following up with eBay, this is an important point.
  6. You say that the seller refused to refund the return shipping fee. Do you have evidence (email, eBay message, or in the Resolution Centre) of the seller agreeing to pay the return shipping fee? This is something that you will need; you will have to follow up with eBay. This would be a very important point.

At any rate, it's apparent that you are very upset and perhaps as a result of that, you haven't used eBay's Money Back Guarantee in the most effective way.

I think your best approach now is to contact eBay. eBay's "Have us call you" option is by far the best way to get in touch with eBay. (Emails are useless, for a number of reasons, but primarily because the responses, when they are finally sent, are bot-generated.)

eBay say: We'll call you at the phone number registered to your account, or you can enter a different number.

We’re available from 8am to 10pm AET, 7 days a week.

Explain what has happened. Be calm and polite, and have your facts at hand. You've got the dates ready - which is good. Avoid saying things like "deliberately" and "violated" and "demanded". You're much better off saying "I wasn't sure that it was actually a real tracking number because I could not track it on the Australia Post website"... and "I was under the impression, as per the eBay Money Back Guarantee, that the seller would pay for the return shipping cost". (Quote the relevant bit from the policy.) Say "As you can see in the seller's communications, they wanted me to pay for the return shipping".

Basically, take emotion out of it. Speak with the utmost politeness, quote eBay policy, keep a record of the eBay rep's name and the time and date, be co-operative, and perhaps you will see a good outcome.

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

Plenty good points in there countess,  just one major problem, as it is an International transaction, the dispute will be handled via

ebay US, and OP will find that even going through ebay AU,  Ebay US resolution center is not contactable by the general public  and

Ebay AU states they have no contact details available,   They do not have Chat capabilities and email address that may be provided via ebay AU will result in error messages  or Bot reply stating messages to this address are not read, etc.  As  the OP states

that they were advised by ebay to return the item, then it would appear the matter has been resolved in the sellers favour, if so OP

can appeal, but as the item is now with the seller and an appeal will consist only of a review of the initial information supplied, the OP is likely to have little chance of winning.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

@maryxian89 wrote:
  1. On 4 April 2018, the Seller (located in USA) sold a fake Shiseido face cream at US$79.94 to me on eBay.

2. Seller deliberately entered a fake Tracking Number (UA146569825AU) on eBay.

3. On 18 April 2018, the Seller deliberately provided a fraudulent return postage label via eBay, included fake Tracking, wrong seller address, "Value of goods" too low (about 27%), and wrong Description of Goods "Face cram".

4. On 19 April 2018, the Seller violated the eBay policies, and twice demanded me (the buyer) to pay for the return shipping fees for the fake Shiseido face cream.

5. On 23 April 2018, eBay demanded me to send the item back to the Seller before 25 Apr 2018.

6. On 3 May 2018, Seller refused to refund the return shipping fee, after received the item I returned.

Just for the hell of it, I thought I might dig a little deeper.   Oh No!

Seller does not only have an ebay store, but appears to also have  13 seperate B&M stores

The seller  lists all brands they sell,  including  some 130 various shiseido items.

Somehow I think the seller  and their product just might be genuine, hence the OP being told by ebay to return the item.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Are you sure about that? (I'm just a little puzzled as I can't see any B&M stores that this seller has.)

They're not a huge seller... 650 feedback... and about half of the feedback is as a buyer.

Judging by the feedback, this seller may sell genuine items, but I'd personally not risk buying Chanel stylo yeux at USD $6 less than retail price.

Hmm... if the buyer bought through eBay.com.au, would not the policies of eBay.com.au hold true? Or is it that the policies of the site on which the seller listed apply?

Ah - found the relevant link.

"When a seller lists an item for sale with an international shipping option (such as worldwide shipping), it may result in the item being sold to a buyer on an eBay site other than the seller's original listing site. A buyer is covered by the applicable eBay Money Back Guarantee or similar buyer protection policy of the eBay site where checkout occurred."

The Money Back Guarantee page on eBay.com (the link above) is clear on this, although the Australian help page covering the Money Back Guarantee doesn't refer to it.

Based on that, the buyer is covered by eBay.com.au's buyer protection, not eBay.com's... unless the buyer purchased while on eBay.com.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

Yep followed the connectors,  13 B&M stores.  Note, I have absolutely nothing to do with cosmetics, but even I know of some of the

brands that are listed, so I am presuming it is not cheap **bleep**.  If you are running 13 stores, you must have a bit of buying power, so selling below retail is what it is all about

If it is an International transaction, disputes are handled via ebay US,  does not matter what site item was listed on or bought

through, and the US resolution center is a law unto themselves.  Ebay AU has no say whatsoever. and as stated can not even

provide any working contact information

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply