Seller refusing to send paid for item to PO Box.

emcmad
Community Member
Hi, I have paid over $400 for an item with paypal, and nowhere on the listing does it say that they would not post to a PO Box, but now over a week after I paid for the item they are refusing to send it unless I provide a street address.

The reason I have a PO Box is because postal services do not come out to us as we are out of town on a property. We have never had anything successfully delivered to us from a courier service (doesnt help that our road is not on any GPS's.) and have to meet deliveries in town. Since we are currently doing seasonal work which involves 12 hour days we won't be able to meet anyone in town.

Am I within my rights to ask for a refund ( or demand if it comes to that, and/or open a dispute with PayPal if they continue to refuse to deliver it?? I honestly can't see why they can't just send it thru auspost. I have even offered to pay extra for postage if they will just take it to their nearest PO and send it to my PO Box.

Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated. ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Is the item in the US? they have a different postal system to us. There is no reason why an item can't be sent to a PO box in Australia.

Maybe it is too large to be sent by Auspost?

Someone will pop in here shortly to give a better explanation than I can. Don't give up just yet.

Message 2 of 68
Latest reply

We don't have street delivery either so anything addressed to our street address goes to the nearest PO . Perhaps that could be the case with your area ? Worth asking the local PO.

If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
Message 3 of 68
Latest reply

A paypal customer service rep told me a few weeks ago that they advise that items should NOT be sent to a PO Box. 

Message 4 of 68
Latest reply

If it's the ipad, the seller appears to use one specific courier for all their items, and probably for their own piece of mind.

Within the listing in the couriers info is -

All Australian orders should include a daytime delivery address and contact details. Large orders and bulky items are unable to be delivered to Post Office (PO) Box numbers.

So I am guessing it's their courier thats saying no way.

Perhaps you have a friend in town or if you know the person at the local post office, ask him and use that address. ๐Ÿ˜‰

image host
Message 5 of 68
Latest reply

emcmad
Community Member
Hi guys, yes it is the iPad and I wish they had have stated the courier delivery in their listing as I avoid couriers as best I can, but it said auspost parcel so I thought all was good.

If it was being sent thru auspost I would give them the street address and the post office would just put the card in my PO Box and all would be sweet. ๐Ÿ™‚

I am only worried because we haven't had a successful courier delivery here yet. Gave up on castle hampers because I had to go to next town over (70 ks) to get them. We also had to go into town to guide a furniture delivery, which was fine in the off season.

If it was a cheap item I wouldn't be so worried but like everyone nowadays $400 is a lot of money to us, to have floating around with a courier service.

Unfortunately we don't have any friends or family in town, or at least any we know well enough to ask this of. ๐Ÿ˜ž I am stumped as to what to do.

I appreciate the feedback. ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 6 of 68
Latest reply

I reckon you could just send the seller that explanation, it makes perfect sense

Message 7 of 68
Latest reply

Advise the seller, is there somewhere in the community your item can be safe dropped. A courier service would be willing drop to a shop etc, they just need to obtain a signature for receipt of delivery, and at a normal post office staff will refuse to do that.

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 8 of 68
Latest reply

I have the same problem couriers will not deliver to us as we are too far out, so I have organised my local PO (who brings my mail out anyway, to sign for any parcels for me, he signs for all parcels and couriers are authorized to deliver to c/- of the local PO...works well if it is too big we go and collect from the Postmaster..

Message 9 of 68
Latest reply

Am I within my rights to ask for a refund ( or demand if it comes to that, and/or open a dispute with PayPal if they continue to refuse to deliver it??

Yes, if there was no mention in the listing or under the postage and payment tab that they would not deliver to a PO Box then they either have to refund you or send it to the address as given on the Paypal payment advice.

If they don't mark it as sent or refund you in the next couple of days just open a dispute, escalate a couple of days later.

I think they are being unreasonable, even if they usually use a courier they could send yours using AP. With a road only sticker on of course;-)

If they send a mutual cancellation I would refuse it so they have to pay their fees!

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 68
Latest reply