Seller sent the wrong colour of an item, only offering partial refund, refused return

Okay, this is pretty stupid but my money is tightly budgeted and I can't just waste money.

I purchased a black item from a seller and they sent me the correct item, in purple. They had colour options and I verrified that I chose the correct option for black and they admited that they accidently sent me purple and offered a $4 refund out of origional cost of $21 and said to keep the purple one. I asked if I could mail this purple one back and they could send me a black one. They said no and offered me $8. I have literaly no use for a purple one and I tried dyeing it. No luck. The item is still in perfect condition (dye did nothing).

How can I get my money back? I payed for through paypal. Seller is in China. Item is even on sale now for $18 so why cant they just eat the remaining $10 diference?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Seller sent the wrong colour of an item, only offering partial refund, refused return

The seller can't refuse a return if an item is not as described, as long as you open a case via eBay, but judging from the seller's replies so far it might be difficult getting them to pay for return post - which won't be cheap as it has to go back by a tracked method.

Unfortunately its fairly common for some sellers to offer these kinds of token or non-resolutions, based on the idea that things like colour or size choice (while offered ) is arbitrary and the item still has the same value or use to the buyer, when often the opposite is true. These kinds of sellers tend not to offer a proper resolution unless / until they get something out of it.
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Just open the return case in eBay.

A good chance seller will refund and you won't need to send the item back.

Chinese sellers often send wrong items, don't resolve issues until forced.

image host
Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

if you've dyed it, you can't send it back in received condition anyway.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Hey Digi - I read she tried to dye it so I doubt they can now return it.

OP just accept the offer of a partial refund . You should not have treid to change the colour and just done an Item not as described claim! 

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

I'd try a 'not as described' case. If you haven't told the seller you've tried to dye it they may cough up a refund. If they don't you can always close the case. I look on it as you've got nothing to lose by trying. Otherwise all you can try to do is resell it to get your money back.
Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

@stickerswa wrote:

Hey Digi - I read she tried to dye it so I doubt they can now return it.

OP just accept the offer of a partial refund . You should not have treid to change the colour and just done an Item not as described claim! 

I read that as well, but kinda figured it was done when the seller wouldn't genuinely assist (that doesn't have any bearing on an eBay case, more how I chose to reply Smiley Embarassed ).  

Technically, you're right in that an attempt to modify the item means it can't be returned, but also technically the seller should have accepted a return (and paid for it). At this point (if I were the buyer) I might concede to a partial refund and try to onsell the item - not ideal, but if a full refund is not forthcoming, it may be the next best option. 

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
I'd try a 'not as described' case. If you haven't told the seller you've tried to dye it they may cough up a refund. If they don't you can always close the case. I look on it as you've got nothing to lose by trying. Otherwise all you can try to do is resell it to get your money back.

OP has something to lose, the $8 the seller is now offering.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

If you have been offered a partial refund of $8 by the seller, I would message the seller and say you'll accept it.

I know it is not ideal and you'd prefer all your money back but at least you won't have to send back the top. If you did send it back, I wouldn't be all that sure you'd be guaranteed of getting the return postage reimbursed. In the perfect ebay world you should, but I have read of others who have paid out to return international items and are struggling to get their money back.

So grab the money & run.

I'd advise that because you've tried to dye the top.

If the money isn't in your account within a day or so though, go straight to an official ebay item not as described case. 

Don't go telling anyone else you tried to dye that top, by the way.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Was it black from picture of item or written description?
Message 10 of 15
Latest reply