Seller threatening negative feedback if I don't leave positive feedback!

Would like some advice on this small dilemma, please.

Won auction, paid for item (clothing) immediately and received item in less than satisfactory condition i.e. wet from rain and  seller failed to mention top was Target brand instead of Stella McCartney. Not so upset about brand but the fact that seller charged $8 postage and sent item in a paper envelope (middle of winter in Melbourne) that cost $1.20. Emailed seller with concerns and asked for refund of $6 postage or total refund. Seller refused and said they would leave me negative feeback if I did the same to them.

Is this ethical? I thought it was impossible for seller to leave negative feedback unless I didn't pay? I feel an obligation to leave neutral or negative feedback to warn others that seller is making a profit from postage.

Advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Actually sellers cannot leave negative feedback at all...

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

JMO & others will probably disagree but I'd leave her negative feedback-something along the lines of

'Not Stella McCartney & posted in an envelope for $1.20'

As already stated,sellers are NOT able to leave negative feedback,have not been able to do so for around 4 yrs & if seller is silly enough to leave a positive with negative comment,just report to ebay & they'll remove it.

Other than that,I'd just forget it & wouldn't even waste my time engaging in any discussions with her or opening any disputes.

As I said,JMO

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Target produces a collection of clothing designed by Stella McCartney.  I doubt that you would find an original Stella McCartney on ebay.

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

Target produces a collection of clothing designed by Stella McCartney.  I doubt that you would find an original Stella McCartney on ebay.

'I' know that Lyndal lol & seller has turned tag around in photo so you can't see it either,thats another reason to just neg & move on.

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

Honest sellers refer to items as "Target by Stella McCartney" not just "Stella McCartney". And for the recorod, there are plenty of original Stella (not from Target) pieces available on eBay. As a seller, myself I am appalled by people making a profit from postage costs and being deliberately deceptive about item brands. eg. when selling a Kmart brand I clearly state it as such instead of ripping off the tags and saying it's a vintage piece. Wish people were more honest.

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I did not look at the listing but if that is the case I agree with Foxy.....neg and move on.

I am surprised that as a seller yourself you did not know that buyers can not get a neg.

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

Not saying it was Target would not have had me leaving a neg.

Having a high handling charge would not have me leaving a neg.

Not having good enough, waterproof internal packaging would perhaps not have me leaving a neg.

Put all three together and they would get a pretty red dot.

If the seller left you a neg comment with a green dot then that would be even better as they would also cop a policy violation when reported.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

make sure you put that seller on your blocked bidder list.  They may well buy from you just so that they can get to leave you a negative.

Sounds like the seller is an idiot. Apart from anything else sellers haven't been able to leave negs for buyers since before Stella's Dad was a Beatle (well, maybe not that long, but a few years at least).

Personally, I'd leave a neg for them in this situation. It's a combo of rip off postage and deceptive advertising.

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply